Rock Band & Guitar Hero Games

Will you be getting any Beatles DLC ? ;) I heard their plan was to release more of their catalogue that way (which makes sense).

More Details on Rock Band Network.

More details on Rock Band Network:

• Closed Beta now. Open Beta in mid-October. Full launch in November.
  • Requirements: a copy of Rock Band 2, an Xbox 360, a $99 Creator's Club membership, and the $60 license for Reaper, no Mac support for Magma
  • Songs will cost $1, $2 or $3
  • Creators receive 30% of revenue. It's the same deal EVERYONE gets who enters the Network
  • All tracks must support all difficulties: no expert only tracks for example
  • Can't edit lip syncing or have access to fog peripheral
  • Audition Mode in Rock Band 2 is only available to Creators. It's where they test out the tracks during Peer Review. They'll access to tools to make inspecting the tracks easy.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/27/impressions-rock-band-network-creation/

Tommy McClain

I have a question regarding the Beatles game. Can I play it like a Karaoke using the SingStar mics only, or must I play it with the instruments ?

As dj said, you can play Beatles with any singular or combination of instruments. You can also play with from 1-3 mics for the harmonies. Any USB mic will work as well.

So I hear music games started to slide recently due to over-exposure. Is this true ? Arwin, are you still playing Rockband/Guitar Hero now ?

Personally, I prefer a mix of traditional instruments, musical training plus tons of entertainment. I think the depth is important for players to stick to the genre and grow. Karaoke games are ok because IMHO, the players could improve their singing over a lifetime, instead of getting stuck with mashing buttons. I think the drum set may be fine too.

This is one of the genra where I hope to see more innovations. I ended up buying a traditional piano instead of a MIDI one as originally planned months ago. Couldn't convince my wife to try new tech, and new ways to learn music (for our kid). :)

Plus, none of the console games support full MIDI outside of the drumset. Garageband is still too technical. Rockstar's Beaterator on PSP tried to promote their ware by sponsoring school programs in NY. I think that may be too "casual". So I don't really have a strong case against her traditional view.

Hope Miyamoto can come up with something good for his Wii Music sequel (assuming there's one).

I still play Rock Band 2 on a fairly consistent basis. In fact, it's probably the game I play the most as of late. Right now I'm back and forth between U2 and RB2. Because they continuously release songs, I still buy a song or two once in a while too. I even go back to GH3 once in a while.

I did recently play some Guitar Hero WTC, but I haven't played it much - partly because my wife moves the drumkit out of range. I don't own Rockband yet. SingStar is the biggest music title over here.

I do think the drumkit and the microphones are great for learning music.

One thing I hate in current Western music games (especially the non-singing part) is that they lack the sophistication of their Eastern counterparts. Either it's copyright or its incompetence, but I'd have loved to be able to have a rating for how good my timing is beyond hit or miss. In games like DDR you have a range that goes Fail-Poor-OK-Good-Great-Perfect or something like that - basically a 1-5 scale where perfect means you hit it within 1/64th of a measure (or 1/32th, depending on the version of the game), good means 1/32th etc.

It's terrible to have to go back from that, to be honest. Games like DDR are far superior rhythm games in that respect. But these music games are definitely the next best thing. Even though I play a fair amount of traditional music instruments, they really help

MIDI devices connected to a PC are also a good help - try playing in record mode with a very high precision / no quantization and

Right now I'm doubting what to do. Rock Band 2 is still full price, and although I'd like to have Guitar Hero 5, it's also full price, and I'm not going to buy a full price 'update' every year.

So I hear music games started to slide recently due to over-exposure. Is this true ? Arwin, are you still playing Rockband/Guitar Hero now ?

Personally, I prefer a mix of traditional instruments, musical training plus tons of entertainment. I think the depth is important for players to stick to the genre and grow. Karaoke games are ok because IMHO, the players could improve their singing over a lifetime, instead of getting stuck with mashing buttons. I think the drum set may be fine too.

This is one of the genra where I hope to see more innovations. I ended up buying a traditional piano instead of a MIDI one as originally planned months ago. Couldn't convince my wife to try new tech, and new ways to learn music (for our kid). :)

Plus, none of the console games support full MIDI outside of the drumset. Garageband is still too technical. Rockstar's Beaterator on PSP tried to promote their ware by sponsoring school programs in NY. I think that may be too "casual". So I don't really have a strong case against her traditional view.

Hope Miyamoto can come up with something good for his Wii Music sequel (assuming there's one).

I'm a bit burnt out. Haven't played RB2 or GH:M for quite some time. Don't have an urge to either. Likely has to do with the flood for holiday games but for me atleast, I have 0 interest in any of the current hero/band games out.

Ah, you're referring to this, right? I've got Beaterator too by the way. I've got Beaterator - given the right teacher I do think It's a fine tool I think for teaching about music - its very extensive. Ditching all the real instruments though seems a bit weird. But you certainly wouldn't need a whole set of guitars for each pupil - one or two of each instrument could be enough.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/school-ditches-instruments-for-beaterator

Rockstar's Beaterator on PSP tried to promote their ware by sponsoring school programs in NY. I think that may be too "casual". So I don't really have a strong case against her traditional view.

I'm a bit burnt out. Haven't played RB2 or GH:M for quite some time. Don't have an urge to either. Likely has to do with the flood for holiday games but for me atleast, I have 0 interest in any of the current hero/band games out.

So... have you done the Endless Setlist 2 yet? ;) ;) ;)

Ah, you're referring to this, right? I've got Beaterator too by the way. I've got Beaterator - given the right teacher I do think It's a fine tool I think for teaching about music - its very extensive. Ditching all the real instruments though seems a bit weird. But you certainly wouldn't need a whole set of guitars for each pupil - one or two of each instrument could be enough.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/school-ditches-instruments-for-beaterator

Yes, that's what I meant. It should be possible to keep a few real instruments in one class. :) Focusing only on software will be missing out on the skills and recital/performance part of the equation.

OTOH, many people still can't accept learning via MIDI instruments. There is probably a middle ground somewhere.

I was hoping a good console game can play a part.

Phooey. Les Paul is borked. The blue fret isn't working properly. :(

So do I buy GH5 + guitar? :p Guitar is like $70 CAD. :| I still have the GHII wired guitar though (360). Decisions...

edit: ah screw it... ordered GH Metallica, Smash Hits, GHWT guitar + mic from redoctane.com for $100USD... helluva lot better than anything in Canada. -_-

I know! I can't wait!

... till next week. :p

Achievement whoring until Mass Effect 2 hits my doorstep (lol Metallica, yeah right).

I'm not sure how they can ask $3 per song when we pay $1.99 max for a song from Harmonix, no matter how big the artist.

Back