Rock Band & Guitar Hero Games

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
My most played and 360 game gets a sequel and I can use all my DLC on the new one. Yay!

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/885/885167p1.html

June 30, 2008 - To no one's surprise, Harmonix, MTV and EA are preparing an encore for Rock Band later this year. Rock Band 2 is now official -- and it's coming to Xbox 360 this September, with "other platforms" releasing later in the year.

Before you start deleting the dozens of tracks you've downloaded for the first Rock Band, know that RB2 features ground-breaking cross-title compatibility. There is no distinction between Rock Band 1 and Rock Band 2 DLC. Any DLC you've previously downloaded will instantly work with Rock Band 2 and all DLC will continue to work with the original game from here and into eternity. While Harmonix has yet to reveal the number of tracks included on the RB2 disc, with the inclusion of all the previously released DLC, the set list at launch may top 300 songs.

"As successful as the original Rock Band continues to be, we've now had the benefit of the last eight months to listen to our fans' requests and to build upon that foundation," said Alex Rigopulos, co-founder and CEO of Harmonix. "Rock Band 2 is a second-generation band game that will elevate the music game experience to the next level."

As with Activision's recently announced Guitar Hero World Tour, Rock Band 2 features all master recordings on disc. You can also expect major improvements to online functionality and a more "party friendly" set-up so it's easy to get guests rocking out faster.

While all RB1 peripherals will work with the sequel, upgraded versions will be available in a bundle pack. Harmonix isn't revealing what these upgrades are just yet.

Rock Band downloads will continue to arrive weekly for both Xbox 360 and PS3. Each track you purchase is essentially extending your library of Rock Band 2 tracks. And even though PS3 owners will have to wait longer to get Rock Band 2 on disc, they will still have access to new downloadable content with RB1. With Rock Band DLC having now surpassed 15 million paid downloads, there appears no end in sight for the most successful digitally distributed product on 360 and PS3.

So why release first on Xbox 360? "Microsoft has been a great partner throughout the launch of Rock Band in the last year and their continued support is instrumental in supporting the more advanced features and cross title compatibility we will have in Rock Band 2," a Harmonix representative told IGN. "Of course, our goal is to make Rock Band 2 accessible to all and we look forward to bringing Rock Band 2 to all relevant platforms later this year."

I hope it will support Gh4 intruments (RB supports GH3 guitar on 360). Red Octane is the best in hardware and Harmonix is for the software. RB2 with GH4 instruments would be the best combination one can think of!

Last time around, it was activision blocking the patch (PS3). As much as they hate eachother, I'd seriously not expect anything like this.

Great news! Except the whole PS3 launch later aspect.

I love being able keep the 100 or so songs we've purchased so far. And good to know I can just pick up the new game without having to divulge in all new instruments.

Will launching early on one console have a serious impact in stealing mindshare from Guitar Hero? Was Rock Band's relatively 'weak' showing compared to GHIII mostly because of the price of the whole kit or just due to Guitar Hero having a bigger name?

Or is it more a matter of MS moneyhatting the devs?

Will launching early on one console have a serious impact in stealing mindshare from Guitar Hero? Was Rock Band's relatively 'weak' showing compared to GHIII mostly because of the price of the whole kit or just due to Guitar Hero having a bigger name?

1) shipped later than GH3 in limited numbers (missing holidays in volume)
2) was a new IP
3) cost $170

How any one of those is not a factor in the lesser sales of rock band I have no idea. Considering the price I'd consider their sales extraordinary.

Or is it more a matter of MS moneyhatting the devs?

I doubt they'd buy an exclusive for a couple of months, but maybe shrug.

1) shipped later than GH3 in limited numbers (missing holidays in volume)
Are there still supply issues? Was all of GH3's sales front-loaded or did it sell steadily?
2) was a new IP
3) cost $170

How any one of those is not a factor in the lesser sales of rock band I have no idea. Considering the price I'd consider their sales extraordinary.

Maybe it is, but will this make a dent in the GH mindshare? Rock Band was by most accounts a superior game. I mean, it's not like newcomers to the series won't have to shell out a significant amount of money to buy the kit for RB2 (or will the kit be a lot cheaper?) so that hurdle's still there. Is it such a different game that there are development issues to address on the PS3/PS2/Wii?

Are there still supply issues? Was all of GH3's sales front-loaded or did it sell steadily?

I'm pretty sure supply got sorted out, but missing holiday sales is huge and certainly would have helped a competing product like GH3. The 360/ps3 sales were heavily front loaded. The wii and ps2 versions had more staying power. The wii version of rockband shipped only recently iirc.

Maybe it is, but will this make a dent in the GH mindshare? Rock Band was by most accounts a superior game. I mean, it's not like newcomers to the series won't have to shell out a significant amount of money to buy the kit for RB2 (or will the kit be a lot cheaper?) so that hurdle's still there. Is it such a different game that there are development issues to address on the PS3/PS2/Wii?

I don't think there's that many development issues, but I don't know, the ps2 version lacked quite a few of the features so wasn't as highly rated. I don't expect the kit to be any cheaper, but perhaps they'll get some of the issues fixed regarding durability. They will have the ~1million 360 owners who already have the kit from rock band 1.

I'm not a rhythm game person myself, but everyone of my friends that owns rock band also owns GH3. I'd have to think first to market will impact sales somewhat, but the holiday season is a huge factor in NA. As long as they make november they have the window to make sales.

I don't think there's that many development issues, but I don't know, the ps2 version lacked quite a few of the features so wasn't as highly rated. I don't expect the kit to be any cheaper, but perhaps they'll get some of the issues fixed regarding durability. They will have the ~1million 360 owners who already have the kit from rock band 1.
True enough, and apparently most of the sales were on the 360 to start with.

I'm not a rhythm game person myself, but everyone of my friends that owns rock band also owns GH3. I'd have to think first to market will impact sales somewhat, but the holiday season is a huge factor in NA. As long as they make november they have the window to make sales.

I have my doubts; it's not like GH3 will be late to the holiday season, and its feature-list seems to put it pretty much on par or above RB, barring unseen announcements by Harmonix, maybe barring DLC. I'm not much of a rhythm-game fan myself, but I think the way these two companies are competing is pretty interesting.

PS3 Rockband 1 isn't even out here yet. They may as well just skip it altogether, lol.

Before you start deleting the dozens of tracks you've downloaded for the first Rock Band, know that RB2 features ground-breaking cross-title compatibility. There is no distinction between Rock Band 1 and Rock Band 2 DLC. Any DLC you've previously downloaded will instantly work with Rock Band 2 and all DLC will continue to work with the original game from here and into eternity. While Harmonix has yet to reveal the number of tracks included on the RB2 disc, with the inclusion of all the previously released DLC, the set list at launch may top 300 songs.
Wow. That is the best news I could have hoped for with this game.

It'd be just outright awesome if all the RB1 songs are included (non DLC) in RB2. They'd shoot right to the top of my favorite developer list. There's a rumor or 300songs so that might be a strong possibility.

Wow. That is the best news I could have hoped for with this game.

I am so pleased with the news also. It make the set list for RB2 secondary for me compared to improved features. Since I will be taken care of with DLC since they have done such a great jobs so far in quality and quanity. I really like the DLC model over multiple versions of a game a year like GH. I do hope they include the RB1 songs on the RB2 disc that would be kick ass.

Things I want to see in RB2. A much improved create a character I want to see many more options. I want them to make starting and continuing a band simple. I should be able to just start a band and continue it any time I want with out the profile head ace. I have wasted to much time making sure every instrument had the correct profile attached to it. I want them to improve the create a band logo and tats many more layers. That and I would love to see them add an online auction house like forza 2. I don't have any skills makeing that kind of stuff so being able to purchase a kick ass logo would be very nice.

Interesting... how will they prevent people from just renting or sharing the RB1 disc just to access the songs for considerably less monies?

What do you mean Als? I think it just means that if you downloaded any of the songs with RB1, when you put RB2 in, you will still have access to all those songs you already downloaded.

I did read a rumor about them making all the songs included on the disc of RB1 available as free dlc, but it was never said by Harmonix.

What do you mean Als? I think it just means that if you downloaded any of the songs with RB1, when you put RB2 in, you will still have access to all those songs you already downloaded.

I did read a rumor about them making all the songs included on the disc of RB1 available as free dlc, but it was never said by Harmonix.

The part about RB1 songs on the disc. The RB1 DLC seems clear, but the Gamespot article also mentions being able to use the songs on disc. Although TBQH, I think they muddled up comments from Harmonix staff when they only meant that the DLC was going to be compatible with RB2.

The part about RB1 songs on the disc. The RB1 DLC seems clear, but the Gamespot article also mentions being able to use the songs on disc. Although TBQH, I think they muddled up comments from Harmonix staff when they only meant that the DLC was going to be compatible with RB2.

When it says the 80 songs packed on the disc, they are referring to the 80 songs on RB2. RB1 only comes with 58 songs on disc.

Back