Robert Jordan has passed away

Rand al Thor explodes and destroys everything. FIN.

That was way too short to be the ending.

THere's got to be about 20 pages describing everythign before he destroys it. 20 more describing his anguished feelings moments before destroying it. Another 20 describing the moment of explosion in minute detail. And yet another 20 describing a goat herder 1000 miles away. Plus Nynaeve needs to tug at her braids.

Umm, I used to say something similar about the Dune series. Herbert senior died without actually bringing closure to his grand saga. The butchering of it by his kid and Kevin J. Anderson made me regret ever wishing for closure...they were that bad and somehow tainted the series as a whole. Overall, I've loved WOT, so if this prick comes off and makes a mess of things I'll be quite unhappy.

I would've giggled had Kevin J. Anderson been announced as the writer chosen to finish the series. What_a_hack writer.

Rand al Thor explodes and destroys everything. FIN.
Oh, man. That would mean that Rand is Peter Petrelli; an emo male nurse. :(

Umm, I used to say something similar about the Dune series. Herbert senior died without actually bringing closure to his grand saga. The butchering of it by his kid and Kevin J. Anderson made me regret ever wishing for closure...they were that bad and somehow tainted the series as a whole. Overall, I've loved WOT, so if this prick comes off and makes a mess of things I'll be quite unhappy.
But I will only read this book and if they follow RJ's wishes, this will end the saga.

Whatever some dudes write after this will not really interest me.

Wheel of Time contains some very pseudo-Earth history things like Artur Hawkwing who basically is King Arthur (Artur Paendrag vs. Arthur Pendragon? come on! :D)

:LOL:

Man that book is chock full of them. Didn't he have a knock off of mother theresa in his book as well? Some book I read had a Ma terese in it. I would have cried at the absurdity if it wasn't so hilarious.

If there is a mod reading this thread, any chance of splitting the thread? The conversation has veered away from RJ passing away into a discussion of SF/F books.

Speaking of dead authors, I just finished Gemmell's last book, "Fall of Kings," the other weekend. I really liked Gemmell when I was in the mood for formulaic swords 'n sorcery pulpy reading.

Someone who actually did finish a fantasy series is Terry Godkind... too bad that his crap isn't even worth reading after book 3, when he finally turned his story into a barely disguised vessel for his Objectivist and Reaganomic ravings and neo-con propaganda (including the wholesale slaughter of anti-war protestors by the "hero" because they threaten the cause).

Plus, his contrived plot devices, his habbit to reiterate crap that has previously happened for pages to no end, his penchant for totally self-serving gangrape and graphic snuff scenes, his preachy characters and their longwinded speeches and the general idiocity of much of what happens make his work even worse than what Jordan has turned WoT into.

Jordan, at least, only turned his series into a snorefest. Goodkind has aspirations of Ayn Rand, while being an even more inept writer than the lady. It's annoying as hell.

As far as I've heard from someone who actually bothered to read this garbage to the end, Goodkind supposedly wraps up the story rather unsatisfyingly in 200 or so pages, after 10000 pages of mostly nonense.

I'm currently tempted to read the whole thing, simply because it can be entertaining in the same way a really crappy movie can be entertaining - it's fun to see how bad it can get. I liked the first 3 books, the 4th one was just 'meh' but the 5th one takes the cake.

Evil chickens (!) that aren not chickens (!!) - don't ask me, it doesn't make any sense in the book either - is where I draw the line. Well, I'm glad I did read on for a bit and the plot shifts to some city state that he clumsily modeled to be some sort of horrible liberal hell that could only be dreamt up by a batshit insane ultra-con (yes, there are even characters modeled after the Clintons). He's about as subtle as a sledge hammer.

Back