RIP Kinect

Status
Not open for further replies.
And much like the Kinect, it's highly marketable but mostly useless.

"Is reaching into your pocket, pulling out your device, and then entering a code or scanning your thumb too much effort? Now you can reach into your pocket, pull out your device, and hold it in front of your face!... For a few seconds... Hopefully your little, vegan arm won't tire."

Cool....

Anyway, I just watched the verge review of iPhone X...

So the front camera is basically a super mini kinect? The wait it work also the same, I think.

It blast your face with lots of tiny IR dots.

Hopefully Apple will publish an app to use it as 3D scanner just like kinect.

It's derived from the technology in Kinect 1. Apple bought the company. Think it's even the same resolution ....

And much like the Kinect, it's highly marketable but mostly useless.

"Is reaching into your pocket, pulling out your device, and then entering a code or scanning your thumb too much effort? Now you can reach into your pocket, pull out your device, and hold it in front of your face!... For a few seconds... Hopefully your little, vegan arm won't tire."

Cool....

Further ahead, once apps have had access the depth camera and gone though a few product cycles it may become a must have feature. Selfies are the virus that keeps spreading, and a depth camera could allow post processing and beautification on a whole new level. Plus those filters that apply fucking cat ears and fucking dog noses to fucking eye enlarged, skin smoothed selfies would get a lot better.

Stop the world, I want to get off. And play on my Dreamcast.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
not to sound like the trumpster, but I think its you that are not understanding the meaning of the word 'tech', at the very least overly pedantic

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/603189/the-biggest-technology-failures-of-2016/
http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,1898610,00.html
https://www.cnet.com/news/the-decades-30-biggest-tech-flops/
http://www.businessinsider.com/here...oduct-failures-of-the-past-decade-2017-6?IR=T
https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/biggest-tech-failures-of-2016/
I literally could do this all day, posting thousands of links from major publications that are using the word tech like I have (are all these writers/editors using it wrong), have you not heard of the phrase 'the tech industry' 'in tech news today' etc

PS those are fighting words 'function' :p :D

@shifty my point about guinness was more about their current business methods, it was OT but hey perhaps some ppl are interested, basically their business model now to put it in gaming terms since most ppl here know these is basically a 'pay to win' model, which devalues a lot of their records

Last edited:
@zed when you're the only one that everyone else disagrees with, the issue just might be you.
Wait so we have 2 groups

1. Me and the BBC,Guardian,Time Magazine,Wall street journal, forbes, washington post etc (I notice on beyond3d.net theres a link at the bottom to 'the tech report')
2. a handful of anonymous guys on a website forum (funny Im the only one out of us that uses his own name)

you're claiming that #2 is more likely to be correct!, it could be true but I wouldn't put money on it :cry:

Mate I feel like I'm arguing with some religious ppl, I'm not gonna change your beliefs with any evidence, and are just wasting my time

@zed please read what others have written with an open mind. Your mind seems to be too closed off to comprehend to the details.

We have no issue with the statement that "Kinect Xbox One was a product failure" because it truly was, but we take issue with "the technology inside of Kinect Xbox One is a failure". If you can't differentiate the technology from the product then I suggest you stop participating in forums with a technology focus.

And that boils down to a single ambiguous choice of expression:
Kinect will have to be one of the biggest failures in tech, bigger than Kin phones or Nokia for MS.

If that was phrased with a little more clarity:
Kinect will have to be one of the biggest product failures in tech, bigger than Kin phones or Nokia for MS.
...or even...
Kinect will have to be one of the biggest failures in the tech industry, bigger than Kin phones or Nokia for MS.
...we'd be on the same page. Yet after pages of people disagreeing with you, you still remained adamant and argumentative, didn't answer questions aimed at clarification ("what's your definition of product and tech failure?"), and stoically stuck with "I'm right, you're wrong" with no possibility of "maybe there's a miscommunication here. Maybe I'm not wording myself right," despite numerous requests for you to better explain yourself.

Notice that your go to links are both in a different context (we were reading 'tech' as 'technology' rather than 'technology industry' as that's its natural use at B3D) and often clarified:
  • The 10 biggest tech product failures of the past decade
  • 24/7 Wall St. looked at both start-ups and products introduced by companies that did not survive to create a list of the most colossal tech failures of the last decade
  • After nearly 10 years of working at CNET, Executive Editor David Carnoy looks back at the most hyped tech products that didn't pan out as planned--or just flat out bombed
All this nonsense could have been cleared up with just a phrasing correction when asked. "To be clear, I mean in the tech industries, Kinect is one of the biggest product fails." Instead, your points were just arguments for argument's sake. Even to the point of suggesting not using our real names was in some way damaging to our position! "I use my real name on a forum, ergo I'm more likely to be right."

The Internet is free to read who in this conversation was acting like a religious zealot totally unwilling to change their view (on a phrasing) or admit to being wrong (with regards choice of words to express their position).

Last edited:
The latest posts on this thread were the biggest tech failure on these forums past month.
And by "tech" I mean: effective use of language. It's a common use for the word, trust me.

It's proper discussion etiquette to clarify one's position when asked to clarify. Instead of acting like an adult one user refused to clarify what they meant when asked. Instead of opting to participate on a mature level they just screamed more of the same unclear ramblings.

It's blatantly clear who's at fault during this entire calamity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back