RIP Kinect

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys ever play games that are not some Wii party games??? Azbat, your list of games is really a testament to the usefulness of kinect imo.

In all gaming communities with serious competitive gaming, people even hate gamepads and controllers for being inaccurate and less efficient.

PC players are mocking console gamers since forever for having less control and precision compared to mouse and keyboard and even grandmaster console players are compared to low tier pc players because of gamepad gameplay.

And then some genius decides to revolutionize gaming input with an even less indirect/precise and inaccurate input device.

In comparison, PS move at least could compete with controllers, but also didn’t take off of course as there is no point to change input devices without substantial benefits for most gamers.

Just as an information: in Overwatch, one of the biggest problems on console is the unfair advantage some have as they are using M&K.

I never experienced uproar in a community about unfair advantages because of kinect being so accurate...

Just my opinion. But I am surprised now and interested in your opinion guys: Do you really think that kinect is more accurate than a controller? And that it offers advantages because of this in e.g. fighting game, driving game or a competitive fps shooter?

Do you really think that kinect is more accurate than a controller? And that it offers advantages because of this in e.g. fighting game, driving game or a competitive fps shooter?

Yes and no.

It's all depending on the game and the implementation.

For example, kinect head tracking in forza is not accurate but really nice addition. Compared to moving camera manually in racing game using right analog stick.

Same with its ears. It's not accurate but easier to use than using buttons to access smart drive GPS thingy on forza.

For doing sports like yoga, it's way mire accurate than keyboard mouse and gamepad. I mean, how do you even able to do yoga with those?

You guys ever play games that are not some Wii party games??? Azbat, your list of games is really a testament to the usefulness of kinect imo.

Not really. Like Orangulapa said Kinect has its place. Different kind of games play better with different types of input devices. Majority of my games are played with a controller, but I really like unique experiences afforded by unique input devices too. And Kinect really excelled at party type games. It removed barriers & was inviting by both the young & old. It didn't need to be as accurate as a controller. So Kinect was best when I had my family over for visits or for my kids. That was when we had the 360 & Kinect. But since then my oldest kids are all moved off & married. My youngest kids are all under the age of 4, so Kinect gaming hasn't been a big priority the last couple of years. That should change shortly, but the lack of good Kinect games on the XB1 is rather sad. I will most likely try to resurrect my old 360 for that since I think those games were better.

Tommy McClain

Kinect will have to be one of the biggest failures in tech, bigger than Kin phones or Nokia for MS. Not the original kinect for the 360 mind, like any new idea that was worth trying out. But it was a disaster for them after first failing to prove a strong case for the 360 to have kinect, then to double down on Kinect again and making it even more central to the console with the Xbox One. WTF were they thinking? Like the JFK files (hopefully) I wonder if this will all come out in a later date

Kinect's failure was not in the tech, but in the people who determined its use.

The poverty of vision of tech fans and business executives is not surprising at this point but is none the less disappointing.

Depth and image processing won't go away, and will be used again in gaming, but we have to wait a while now.

VR and AR will be the natural break out points for this technology next.

Kinect's failure was not in the tech, but in the people who determined its use.

The poverty of vision of tech fans and business executives is not surprising at this point but is none the less disappointing.

Depth and image processing won't go away, and will be used again in gaming, but we have to wait a while now.

VR and AR will be the natural break out points for this technology next.
I see devs as the limiting factor. I have only seen a few novel ideas out of the indie scene or even thought up on forums or the interwebz. To me it seems the input lag and inaccuracy as well as energy needed to translate into actions on screen versus a button press only have limited applications.

Maybe Kinect functionality for Sebbbi's Claybook where you can use your hands to mold the world, or maybe an adult mode where you and your wife/gf/wifu/boyfriend/husband can reenact the clay pot making scene from Ghost in two player mode.

The worlds first physics based romantic videogame by Sebbbi (you can thank me in the credits)

I see devs as the limiting factor. I have only seen a few novel ideas out of the indie scene or even thought up on forums or the interwebz. To me it seems the input lag and inaccuracy as well as energy needed to translate into actions on screen versus a button press only have limited applications.

Maybe Kinect functionality for Sebbbi's Claybook where you can use your hands to mold the world, or maybe an adult mode where you and your wife/gf/wifu/boyfriend/husband can reenact the clay pot making scene from Ghost in two player mode.

The worlds first physics based romantic videogame by Sebbbi (you can thank me in the credits)

The real power of Kinect wasn't in molding the world, but in allowing the virtual world to see and understand you.

Fucks me off, because there are some really simple mechanics that would be none "win/lose" that are not massively more difficult to implement on a programmatic level than some of the branchy decision based stuff in RPGs once you have the tools in place (which they were).

Bastard.

The real power of Kinect wasn't in molding the world, but in allowing the virtual world to see and understand you.

Fucks me off, because there are some really simple mechanics that would be none "win/lose" that are not massively more difficult to implement on a programmatic level than some of the branchy decision based stuff in RPGs once you have the tools in place (which they were).

Bastard.
I think you misenterpret me, I didn't mean to mock you or your opinion or anything. I was just attempting to inject some humor into my post. While I personally haven't seen anything compelling it doesn't mean I'm right. You are probably very well correct. I thought the idea with claybook would be pretty cool but then I realised Kinect2 probably doesn't have fine enough tracking for the fingers.

I'm interested in some of the see you and understand you mechanics you describe. Horror game responding to the player's heartbeat would be cool.

Last edited:
Oh my god. B3D is still in the phase that the massive and brutal failure of Kinect is everyones fault but ‘Kinects’ and people are just to stupid to know, and only the 3 die hard fans left know its full potential (stupid MS research devision...go ask here at B3D and make a thread: “Haaaalp, 10 visionary things B3D can teach us about Kinect utilisation we never thought about”)

And this argument about ‘stupid people don’t know how to use Kinect in a visionary way’ is pretty much not worthy for B3D honestly:

You can bring this argument for every single tec failure in the past ever created. Wuu, anyone?!? Stupid people are not visionary enough!

Sometimes, ideas are nice in theory (communism ?!?), but fail every single time in practical application due to its inherent flaws.

What do we learn from this post: kinect is like communism?!?

Oh my god. B3D is still in the phase that the massive and brutal failure of Kinect is everyones fault but ‘Kinects’ and people are just to stupid to know, and only the 3 die hard fans left know its full potential (stupid MS research devision...go ask here at B3D and make a thread: “Haaaalp, 10 visionary things B3D can teach us about Kinect utilisation we never thought about”)

And this argument about ‘stupid people don’t know how to use Kinect in a visionary way’ is pretty much not worthy for B3D honestly:

You can bring this argument for every single tec failure in the past ever created. Wuu, anyone?!? Stupid people are not visionary enough!

Sometimes, ideas are nice in theory (communism ?!?), but fail every single time in practical application due to its inherent flaws.

What do we learn from this post: kinect is like communism?!?

wait.. which idea do you mean?

A few ideas on Kinect that are success before and/or after kinect's demse

• inaccurate but fun games -> wildly successful with Wii
  • natural voice command -> nowadays it is gaining lots of traction from phone/home/hub assistant

personally i think kinect's death is due to microsoft that doesnt know what to do with their tech. They need minds like those on Nintendo that seems almost always able to do crazy new unthinkable stuff that are fun with their tech. No need to frame the mind with the conventional understanding of "video games". Although admittedly Nintendo doesnt always able to understand their stuff and create awesome stuff. Like on Wii U, its like they dont even know where they want to go wit that.

Kinect was fun as an add on for the 360, but they didn't really back it with any 'must play' games. The best by far from my point of view was Double Fines Happy Action Theatre. That was a brilliant kids party game. Kinectimals was 'ok' , the rest really wasn't there. Then when they made it a focus of the xbox one launch I really couldn't get my head round that, they never had anywhere near the amount of content they needed for it. And if MS couldn't provide examples to other studios about how the Kinect could change the way people played games then it's no surprise no-one else did much with it either. The technology itself was really cool and as has been said above a lot will hopefully come from it in the fields of robotics and the like, but as a way to play games.... no. Still got my 360 kinect and the xbox one version as well though they haven't been connected in years :)

You'd be welcome to it, but I think getting it to Japan(?) might be tricky . London's another matter :)

You'd be welcome to it, but I think getting it to Japan(?) might be tricky . London's another matter :)

I'm in Indonesia haha. Dunno how much the shipping cost will be tho. As kinect is pretty big, so can't be shipped as cheap mail on royal mail or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back