"Reviews" of B/C Xbox games on Xbox360?

I'm looking for people thoughts on how they liked/disliked the higher AA / resolution of their old games. Anyone got some links?

I'm primarily playing XBox360 games on my 360.

I've played both Halo 1 and Forza Motorsports and both play and look better on the Xbox360 then they do on the original Xbox.

But again......99.9% of all my game time has been in PGR3 and COD2....who cares about old Xbox games when I could be playing new X360 games ?? :) LOL

(edit: the play part primarily refers to loading faster than on the original Xbox. They "play" the same...but they look cleaner)

Tom Crews

Half-Life 2 and Halo 2 are the only ones I've tried and they have AA applied and are upscaled to 720p. They also seem to have smoother framerates.

I don't think you are going to get any xbox games rendered for 16:10 as 16:9 is the standard widescreen for TVs.

I tried only halo 2 and it works great. athough it already supported 16x9 through an xbox live upgrade.

kyleb said:
I don't think you are going to get any xbox games rendered for 16:10 as 16:9 is the standard widescreen for TVs.

I thought the standard for widescreen TV's was 16:10, with 16:9 was for movies.

Qroach said:
I tried only halo 2 and it works great. athough it already supported 16x9 through an xbox live upgrade.

yEah, Halo2 already had widescreen support. But any idea about other games that were at 4:3? Has the emulator changed aspect ratios?

Karma said:
I thought the standard for widescreen TV's was 16:10, with 16:9 was for movies.
No, widescreen comptuer monitors are 16:10 but widescreen TVs are 16:9. Movies come in all sorts of different aspect ratios.

Only games that were already 16x9 will still be 16x9 on x360. Changing the resoloution is a lot easier than changing the aspect ratio. So all 4:3 games will still look like that. i haven't seen it myself, but I was told that those games won't be stretched either. So you will see black bars on either side of the screen (which is fine by me). I always hated the fact my xbox was set for HDTV and it woudl make every game full screen despite the aspect ratio.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really dissapointed that none of the games that were 4:3 only were made to run in proper 16:9 on the 360. I mean I am sure that with some games it would be more difficult than others; but on the PC it is often fairly simple third parties to hack widescreen support into a game, so surely MS could pull off the same in at least few games.

This isn't the same as a PC game that can be patched. besides you don't have to worry about spect ratio on PC as much as you do on a console since it's running on a TV.

Trying to force the spect ration in a console game that wasn't designed for it can lead to all sorts of odd graphical issues (if it even works at all). Your forgetting things like the HUD and rendering engine need to be aware of teh spect ratio so they can fit everyone on screen correctly and in some cases remove unwated parts of the scene that aren't on screen.

Qroach said:
Trying to force the spect ration in a console game that wasn't designed for it can lead to all sorts of odd graphical issues (if it even works at all). Your forgetting things like the HUD and rendering engine need to be aware of teh spect ratio so they can fit everyone on screen correctly and in some cases remove unwated parts of the scene that aren't on screen.
Sorry to be a bind, and I appreciate textual abbreviations are a worthwhile contribution to fast internet communications, but is it really worth dropping the 'a' from 'aspect'? Is saving the pressing of one extra key worth the extra reading difficulty?

Qroach said:
This isn't the same as a PC game that can be patched. besides you don't have to worry about spect ratio on PC as much as you do on a console since it's running on a TV.

I'm not talking about patchs, I'm talking about the fact that I can use a simple 3rd party program to force proper widescreen FOV in games like Halo on my PC. It seems highly unlikely to me that it would take MS much more effort to do the same on the 360.

Shifty Geezer said:
Sorry to be a bind, and I appreciate textual abbreviations are a worthwhile contribution to fast internet communications, but is it really worth dropping the 'a' from 'aspect'? Is saving the pressing of one extra key worth the extra reading difficulty?

ummm, you're kidding right? You gotta be kidding. You know I'm a sloppy at typing from my posts on this forum.

I'm not talking about patchs, I'm talking about the fact that I can use a simple 3rd party program to force proper widescreen FOV in games like Halo on my PC. It seems highly unlikely to me that it would take MS much more effort to do the same on the 360.

Thats not the same thing at all. What are those third party programs changing? Text files that set the aspect ratio?

No, it hooks itself into the program to alow real time control over the FOV though keyboard shortcuts.

hooks it self into the program "how"? I bet teh functionality was already in the game exe and it just wasn't exposed. Anyway this is a moot point, like i said PC titles are a different beast.

Of course the functionality was already in the game, FOV is varable in just about any FPS engine as it comes in very handy for things like zooming on sniper rifles and the like. As for exactly how the particular program in question works, I don't have any way to determain that as I didn't wright the program and it didn't come with any source code. But all that is beside the point that the task was obviously easy enough for a third party to hack proper widescreen into the PC version, while MS has a closed system with a hard drive already used to store dated needed for emulation. Note that I am not saying it has to be possible for MS to pull this off either, rather that I doubt they bothered to try.

Also, I'm not quite sure what you are trying to get at with your comment that said PC titles are a different beast, but I'm crurious to see how you reconsile that with the fact that the Project64 n64 emulator has an option to provide widescreen support for console games. Granted, that support is glitchy in many games, but then others work just fine.

Back