PC local Co-op games

Nucleus Co-Op.
Nucleus Co-Op is a free and open source tool for Windows that allows split-screen play on many games that do not initially support it. Play local co-op with only one PC and one game copy.

The list of games supported surprises me, you can play coop in games like Skyrim, Age of Empires 2 HD, etc etc. What the ...? o_O

I was looking for a way to play Sanctum 2 in local coop mode, 'cos the game says it has Remote Play on TV but I didn't find any option. After performing a search I found about that program, that lets you play more than 400 -and counting- PC games that don't have local coop, in local coop mode.

Last edited:
Rocket League has been a total triumph with my 5 y.o. and 3 y.o. nephews. They play it a lot in local multiplayer on Rookie, and have learnt to score a few goals, they win quite a lot of games against the AI. When they play over the internet though, they get beaten very badly šŸ˜§

Rocket League is the game my nephews played the most in local coop mode. They've played Roke Li -that's how they name it- for 30 hours or so. They played other games for 12 hours, and so on and so forth, but Rocket League has taken the crown. F1 and kart games are some of their favourites.

Super Indie Karts is on sale. This is an amazing game to play with a friend, your kids, etc etc. The graphics are incredibly clean -they look pixelated, but far from it, they are super clean). I got it to play with my nephews, or let them play. This game has a VERY nice feature for any kid, in that it has an auto acceleration, so they just need to worry about the turning. The art style of the game is gorgeous and works with ultrawide resolutions.

It performs very well, and it's made on Unity. Loving it.

Finally, not a local coop game alas, but I got Ultimate Bumper Cars: Dodgems for my nephews to play and have lots of laughs. It is a game based on the bumper cars attractions you see during the festivities -well, at least in Europe-. The game is on sale too.

Also I wanted to know how it is like to play with a Playstation controller, since I have barely touched a Playstation in my life.
Imagine you're at the dentist. They wanna take xray photos from your teeth, and lock your head fixed in some metal device.
Female assistant comes by. She's super hot. You want to take a look at her.
But you can't, due to the fixed head. : (

That's how it feels to play with playstation controllers.

Now my all time favourite split screen games:

Super Mario DX. A free community driven clone with level editor. Some user made episodes are really awesome. Playing it everyday with my wife (who is even hotter).

Trackmania 2 has splitscreen, but iirc. it's hard to unlock. I think i had to use kind of scripts and hacks. It was too cumbersome, so sadly i gave up on it and preferred LAN with 2 PCs.
Really a shame how the Trackmania series is ruined with terrible user interface. It's such a good racing game.

Jump'n'Bump. Some DOS battle jump'n'run with rabbits trying to kill each other on a static, screen sized level. Old but fun.

Sadly my list is short, and i look really hard. We need more splitscreen games for kids and couples.

Little trick with splitscreen games if you have 2 monitors.
Create a 2 monitor eyefinity/nvsurround group that way each player can have their own screen

Little trick with splitscreen games if you have 2 monitors.
Create a 2 monitor eyefinity/nvsurround group that way each player can have their own screen
how does it work? It seems to be an AMD and nVidia thing, I wonder if Intel has something similar.

My 6 y.o. and 4 y.o. nephews have been playing Lost Castle -which I got for free on Epic Store- today for a couple of hours. It's a brawler roguelike game. They didn't advance much and always died in the 4th or 5th room, but they managed to upgrade a couple of things. A fun game.

Still, their most played game ever is Rocket League, since they put like 50 hours into it. After Lost Castle they played RL, and their are total fans of Lightning McQueen, I had to purchase the Lightning McQueen pack. I spent lie 23ā‚¬ on it, sigh.

when you setup an eyefinity/nvsurround group your monitors appear to windows and the game as a single monitor, If you do it with 2 monitors then run a split screen game 1 players screen will appear on one monitor and the other players screen will appear on the other. you can create a vertical group or a horizontal group
ps: If the game supported 4 player split screen you could create a 4 screen group. Nvidia supports up to 4 screens Amd support 5 some cards 6

Last edited:
there are quite a few Local co-op games on PC Gamepass. In fact I added some to my wishlist, and downloaded a few others like Shredders' Revenge. I really like those games, to play with my nephews, specially.

The PC Gamepass store has one nice thing and it's that it has a neat filter to quickly filter those out.

Holy cow cyan I missed the nucleus coop things somehow. I definitely need to try it. Skyrim could be good fun. I am regretting my purchase of Intel arc as it is less likely to work well.

Holy cow cyan I missed the nucleus coop things somehow. I definitely need to try it. Skyrim could be good fun. I am regretting my purchase of Intel arc as it is less likely to work well.
why do you think it isn't going to work? I have the program but I didn't test it on any game yet, as I don't have any compatible game installed.

Something I miss not having 'cos I have an Intel Arc is a feature @Davros talked about, which lets you use two displays and have one entire display for one player in co-op mode and another entire screen for the other player. That and being able to create custom resolutions like in nVidia Control Panel (but there is CRU for that), other than that I am quite interested in Battlemage and Celestial.

Last edited:
I miss not having 'cos I have an Intel Arc is a feature @Davros talked about, which lets you use two displays and have one entire display
Have you looked at SoftTH ?
SoftTH is an open source software triplehead/multihead (multi-monitor) gaming solution for the PC. It performs the same job as AMD Eyefinity, nVidia Surround, and TripleHead2Go, only it supports any number and/or combination of non-identical or identical screens at any resolution.

why do you think it isn't going to work? I have the program but I didn't test it on any game yet, as I don't have any compatible game installed.
Just that most things hobbyists and niche don't seem to bother testing how well they work with Intel arc as it is a small user base. So the odds of something not working are higher.

Back