"Reviews" of B/C Xbox games on Xbox360?

gamespot has a little write up on BC and quality
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6140654/index.html

personaly, i've tried MK:deception, ninja gaiden, halo 2, fable, and dead or alive 3. everything except halo 2 and DOA i noticed slowdown. it wasn't so bad in ninja gaiden, but i didn't play it that much, just a test run. MK:deception was a slide show whenever alot of particles were on the screen. that makes any stage with weather effects unplayable. some movies that cause big blood splats to cause slowdown, so the timing is off and combos are harder. fable remained pretty playable even with some stuttering.

on a positive note, the games are a little less jaggy (i played on an SDTV), and the texture filtering is better. especialy in MK deception. the game is bilinear on the xbox, and looks trilinear on the 360. also, the colors are a tad different, and it looks like there is better contrast overall on the 360.

Do any of the orginal Xbox games actually render at 1280x720 on the 360? I know that GameSpot article claims they all are, but last I heard from Bungie the Halo games were geting upscaled only after being rendered which is clearly different from being rendered at a higher resolution. It would be obvious to see which was the case if GameSpot had provided full resolution captures, but as for know I can't help but figure that Bungie knows better than GameSpot.

looks like just regular resolution with AA. The characters in the background (halo 2) should have some hint of more detail if the internal rendering were done at 720p (even if the pictures have compression). However, the background in the DOA3 shot (looking at the textures) look sharper.

Could they have picked a worse scene to make a comparison in GTA:VC? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that it looks like the same resotution in Halo2 for and for the same reason, I'm more curious about the other games. Especially The Hulk as that supported 720p on the orignal Xbox, but I can't help but get the impression both of those shots of the game were rendered at much lower resolution. And yeah, they obviously didn't even try with the Vice City shots.

kyleb said:
I agree that it looks like the same resotution in Halo2 for and for the same reason, I'm more curious about the other games. Especially The Hulk as that supported 720p on the orignal Xbox, but I can't help but get the impression both of those shots of the game were rendered at much lower resolution. And yeah, they obviously didn't even try with the Vice City shots.

I didn't know any Xbox games supported 720p, only up to 480p or widescreen.

Karma Police said:
I didn't know any Xbox games supported 720p, only up to 480p or widescreen.
off the top of my head hulk: UD and soul caliber 2 have 720 support

Yep, there is a small chunk of games that do have the option to render at 720p on an orignal Xbox, and a few that can run at 1080i as well. So that beggs the question, do any of the BC games actually render at 720p on the 360?

HDTV Arcade has a list of games supporting widescreen,480p,720p,1080i in case anyone is interested. Not too surprisingly, many of the 720p games are sports games.

Good question, kyleb... I guess it might also depend on how well the game is emulated to even feasibly run at that res on non-native hardware. I heard there were framerate issues with Ninja Gaiden, for example.

kyleb said:
Yep, there is a small chunk of games that do have the option to render at 720p on an orignal Xbox, and a few that can run at 1080i as well. So that beggs the question, do any of the BC games actually render at 720p on the 360?

Do you mean true 720p or upscaled 720p?

Todd Holmdahl said:
Every original Xbox game will be upscaled to 720p and 1080i, and will take advantage of Xbox 360’s anti-aliasing capabilities, delivering a picture that is clearer and crisper than anything available on Xbox.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilityqa.htm

kyleb said:
IIRC the original xbox had some funny limitation where it's maximum render resolution was 1024*768, or there abouts, so anything that was output at 720p was upscaled anyway. i did a quick no effort look around the net, but didn't find anything with substance to back that up.

I heard there were framerate issues with Ninja Gaiden, for example.
i can verify this. in fact, pretty much everything i tried (in terms of BC) had some framerate issues here and there. except DOA3. but i really didn't spend much time on each title.

Back