PC local Co-op games

A list of some of the best top-down racing games I've found, ALL of them have coop/split screen local multiplayer, for up to 4 players (at least most of them) or more.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1435090/Bloody_Rally_Show_Prologue (free)

a list of top-down racing games not published on Steam yet that look really impressive and/or fun.

Roadclub League Racing turned out to be really good for a free game, the physics and some graphics details are very nice, plus the horn is fun to use.

The top-down racing games have been less of a hit than expected playing with my 3 and 5 year old nephews. They have a great time, yes, but I don't as much because I realize that it is difficult for them to control the game, because they don't brake nor release the gas pedal, and they turn very abruptly. In Ultimate Racing 2D 2 things improve if they play oval tracks, which are super simple, but any other slightly complex track is tough for them.

I bought 2 more top-down racing (single screen, important detail) games on Steam Spring Sale.

BFL - Brakes are for losers, which has the advantage that there is no brake and the car is autoaccelerated (ideal for my nephews), this game sheer craziness, and Total Arcade Racing, because both games have super fun features that affect the race: traffic, horns, cannon balls, soccer balls.......

Video of BFL-Brakes are for losers, crazy stuff. xD

I bought 2 more top-down racing (single screen, important detail) games on Steam Spring Sale.

BFL - Brakes are for losers, which has the advantage that there is no brake and the car is autoaccelerated (ideal for my nephews), this game sheer craziness, and Total Arcade Racing, because both games have super fun features that affect the race: traffic, horns, cannon balls, soccer balls.......

Video of BFL-Brakes are for losers, crazy stuff. xD

Ah, memories of Super Off-Road, my intro to racing games. I’m also trying to find games compatible with tiny people and might turn to Bomberman or some Wii (waggle?) games. Mario Kart or Sonic Racing is a too complicated.

Ah, memories of Super Off-Road, my intro to racing games. I’m also trying to find games compatible with tiny people and might turn to Bomberman or some Wii (waggle?) games. Mario Kart or Sonic Racing is a too complicated.
yes, Super Off-Road, it looked awesome, and even my nephews like to play with "trucks for the mountain" as they say, and of course, sports cars and F1 cars.

Yup, Mario Kart is too complex, imho. So is Sonic Racing. In that sense, nothing beats Paw Patrol: Grand Prix. My nephews have lots of hours in it. The thing is that if you don't touch the left stick the game drives for you, and quite well! Also, if you don't touch the right trigger to accelerate, the game accelerates the car for you. My 3 y.o. nephew won a lot of races and sometimes he wasn't holding the gamepad. :D My 5 y.o. nephew plays "normally" and he knows how to drift and stuff and sometimes he lost, many other times he won.

On a different note, they love kart games. And I remembered I have All Star Fruit Racing, since years ago, and I've been pleasantly surprised when I found out that the game has 4-players local split screen. Also, it has some cool powerups, and most of all, the tracks I tried aren't difficult to drive, plus you can't get off the track -maybe in later stages some tracks are pretty unforgiving, but dunno, atm-. Beautiful game at 4K, too.

Last edited:

OMG that's the game I've been trying to remember while reading all this talk of overhead racers! I remember being own away by it back in the day.

I am so getting that on my NES emulator layer today! (Nostalgia Entertainment System)

Holy shit that brings back so many good memories. Super Off Road is one of the first PC games I ever played. Man I’m old.

more really good top-down racing games with split screen to 4 players, purchased in the Steam sales. Mini Motor Racing X even has a game mode similar to the famous Rocket League.

more really good top-down racing games with split screen to 4 players, purchased in the Steam sales. Mini Motor Racing X even has a game mode similar to the famous Rocket League.

Cool, VR supported too and free demo on Steam. Will have to check this out later!

Just tried this in VR and it's absolutely insane! Needs way more resolution than my old CV1 offers, but even so, it's an extremely well done VR implementation and a great game. Absolute no brainer for £1.13 (less than a back of sweets!)

Just tried this in VR and it's absolutely insane! Needs way more resolution than my old CV1 offers, but even so, it's an extremely well done VR implementation and a great game. Absolute no brainer for £1.13 (less than a back of sweets!)
can't tell about VR but gameplay wise it is a very good game indeed. It also has an option to set the game to auto-throttle, so your kids or any casual friend, don't need to use the right trigger or any other button to accelerate, and just focus on steering.

The Ascent is supposed to have local COOP but I didn't like the game. Too much boring running around for such a title.

can't tell about VR but gameplay wise it is a very good game indeed. It also has an option to set the game to auto-throttle, so your kids or any casual friend, don't need to use the right trigger or any other button to accelerate, and just focus on steering.

Yeah it really is. I've been playing through the arcade standard racing mode today and it's brilliant drop in/drop out arcade fun. Runs beautifully too. I know it's obviously not the most technically accomplished game out there but the cartoon style graphics still look great and it's running at 5760x2400 at an ultra smooth 119fps locked on my system.

Yeah it really is. I've been playing through the arcade standard racing mode today and it's brilliant drop in/drop out arcade fun. Runs beautifully too. I know it's obviously not the most technically accomplished game out there but the cartoon style graphics still look great and it's running at 5760x2400 at an ultra smooth 119fps locked on my system.
is that resolution of a monitor, or a TV?

is that resolution of a monitor, or a TV?

38" ultra widescreen monitor. Native is 3840x1600 but with DLDSR 1.5x it gets to 5760x2400. Bearing in mind DLDSR is superior to regular downsampling though, the image quality is closer to 2x on each axis so it looks more like 7680x3200 down sampled to 3840x1600. Suffice to say it's perfect image quality.

bought two cheap gamepads of this model, the Gioteck VX4PS4-02, at Carrefour today, for €18 each, to play with my nephews.

I like the giant central button -touch button- and the microphone on the controller itself although I have not tested if it works on PC yet.

Also I wanted to know how it is like to play with a Playstation controller, since I have barely touched a Playstation in my life.

VX4PS4-02-MU_01__85910.1677676319.png

VX4PS4-02-MU_02__06392.1677676319.png

runs very well on my system too. My only two gripes about the game is that the Arcade modes, one which is based on Rocket League, are for one player only -afaik-, and that it was impossible for me to set it up using two controllers for my nephews and a keyboard for me. The controls seem to work but once a race starts my keyboard does nothing.

This is not uncommon, happens in many games. I only had two controllers and decided to buy a couple more gamepads today, for my nephews.

On another note, I got these two games by the same developer on a bundle -Steam sale-, which have split screen/coop for up to 4 or 8 players:

Back