Revealed - How Microsoft planned Xbox 2 for Christmas 2004

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3348

===============================================

Rob Fahey 16:37 26/04/2004
Microsoft's headlong rush to the next generation leads to a serious gamble in '05

Internal schedules at Microsoft as recently as last November called for the Xbox 2 to be launched in time for Christmas 2004, sources close to the company have revealed - and the firm is still thought to be considering a launch by mid-2005.

Sources at a number of key Xbox developers, who cannot be named for legal reasons, have confirmed that when the company originally revealed the outline specification for Xbox 2 late last year, the company surprised its partners by suggesting that the new hardware would be in shops for Christmas 2004.

The system has since slipped from that schedule - which also called for an unveiling of the specification at GDC, at the high-profile press conference which the company eventually used for the launch of the XNA development platform - but Microsoft apparently still has hopes to get the new console out in mid-2005, ahead of the Christmas 2005 release anticipated by most commentators.

"I think they underestimated how hard it was going to be to build a console that wasn't using PC architecture," one source familiar with the firm's console development efforts told us today. "But they're racing to get to the market as soon as possible - they really want to reverse the head start that Sony had last time."

A launch in mid-2005 would probably give Microsoft a full year's head-start on Sony's PS3, and possibly even more, as some commentators have suggested that Sony could allow the PS3 to slip further in order to allow the PlayStation Portable to hold the limelight for longer.

One consequence of Microsoft's eagerness to launch a next-generation console so soon is that the firm has allegedly encouraged developers to move to next generation development ahead of schedule. While few if any companies have moved their PS2 teams onto PS3 projects as yet, discussions with developers over the past week have revealed that quite a few are wrapping up work on the Xbox with their current projects and are moving on to Xbox 2 development imminently - or have done so already. It's not a universal trend by any means, as several companies are still planning to start new Xbox titles in the coming months, but it's certainly a different landscape from the thriving environment that is PlayStation 2 development.

Of Microsoft's internal big-name studios, it's seemingly planned that Halo 2 will be Bungie's last Xbox title before moving on to Xbox 2 development, while UK-based Rare is already working on Xbox 2 software - with the highly anticipated Perfect Dark follow-up apparently planned for the next-generation hardware. The firm's range of XSN Sports titles have also been cancelled in 2004 and will now appear in 2005 instead - quite possibly as early Xbox 2 titles, thus giving the new console a full range of sports games from the first stages of its lifespan.

This is a risky gamble for the company. If they can launch the Xbox 2 in mid-2005, they'll certainly have an impressive head-start and will have the only next generation platform on the market for at least six to nine months. However, Xbox users may feel unhappy with the short life-span of their console as the flow of original titles for the platform dries to a trickle in 2005 - and if no new console is forthcoming until late in the year, then 2005 begins to look very barren for Microsoft.

2004 launch would've been far too soon. stupid. killed the Xbox. put too much pressure on developers as well as consumers.

would've ment that Xbox 2 had R420 refresh or MAYBE an R500, maybe not. I think even mid 2005 is too early.

I think no one really wants a console in 2004... or perhaps even in 2005.

Launching Xbox 2 mid next year (or at the end of this year) would really mean Dreamcast times 2 for Xbox 2... IMHO (depending on the specs/hype/... of Sony and Nintendo)

Don't you people find it funny that MS always tries to bash Nintendo on the fact they are second? First of all, Nintendo has always been second on a worldwide scale, and secondly, Nintendo has never ended a financial year with losses. (and half billion $ now, and 1 billion $ next time isn't bad at all is it?)

I am pretty sure that if Nintendo goes it's own way, it will manage to stay alive without no problem at all.

They have to many XB1 games to sell this year they would need slip for 2005 or devolopers will not sell a not produce who can they put XB2 in mid 2005 ?

I doubt we'll see a next gen console until fall 2005 or spring 2006.

Microsofts main aim is to beat Sony to market, however i don't think they want to be out to early.

Anyway - they should give up. Sony's gonna win anyway - im biased in this department.

Re: Revealed - How Microsoft planned Xbox 2 for Christmas 20

Megadrive1988 said:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3348

Rob Fahey 16:37 26/04/2004
Microsoft's headlong rush to the next generation leads to a serious gamble in '05

Internal schedules at Microsoft as recently as last November called for the Xbox 2 to be launched in time for Christmas 2004, sources close to the company have revealed - and the firm is still thought to be considering a launch by mid-2005.

Sources at a number of key Xbox developers, who cannot be named for legal reasons, have confirmed that when the company originally revealed the outline specification for Xbox 2 late last year, the company surprised its partners by suggesting that the new hardware would be in shops for Christmas 2004.

The system has since slipped from that schedule - which also called for an unveiling of the specification at GDC, at the high-profile press conference which the company eventually used for the launch of the XNA development platform - but Microsoft apparently still has hopes to get the new console out in mid-2005, ahead of the Christmas 2005 release anticipated by most commentators.

"I think they underestimated how hard it was going to be to build a console that wasn't using PC architecture," one source familiar with the firm's console development efforts told us today. "But they're racing to get to the market as soon as possible - they really want to reverse the head start that Sony had last time."

A launch in mid-2005 would probably give Microsoft a full year's head-start on Sony's PS3, and possibly even more, as some commentators have suggested that Sony could allow the PS3 to slip further in order to allow the PlayStation Portable to hold the limelight for longer.

One consequence of Microsoft's eagerness to launch a next-generation console so soon is that the firm has allegedly encouraged developers to move to next generation development ahead of schedule. While few if any companies have moved their PS2 teams onto PS3 projects as yet, discussions with developers over the past week have revealed that quite a few are wrapping up work on the Xbox with their current projects and are moving on to Xbox 2 development imminently - or have done so already. It's not a universal trend by any means, as several companies are still planning to start new Xbox titles in the coming months, but it's certainly a different landscape from the thriving environment that is PlayStation 2 development.

Of Microsoft's internal big-name studios, it's seemingly planned that Halo 2 will be Bungie's last Xbox title before moving on to Xbox 2 development, while UK-based Rare is already working on Xbox 2 software - with the highly anticipated Perfect Dark follow-up apparently planned for the next-generation hardware. The firm's range of XSN Sports titles have also been cancelled in 2004 and will now appear in 2005 instead - quite possibly as early Xbox 2 titles, thus giving the new console a full range of sports games from the first stages of its lifespan.

This is a risky gamble for the company. If they can launch the Xbox 2 in mid-2005, they'll certainly have an impressive head-start and will have the only next generation platform on the market for at least six to nine months. However, Xbox users may feel unhappy with the short life-span of their console as the flow of original titles for the platform dries to a trickle in 2005 - and if no new console is forthcoming until late in the year, then 2005 begins to look very barren for Microsoft.

2004 launch would've been far too soon. stupid. killed the Xbox. put too much pressure on developers as well as consumers.

would've ment that Xbox 2 had R420 refresh or MAYBE an R500, maybe not. I think even mid 2005 is too early.
this news of a planned 2004 launch makes sense, concurring with what JPMorgan was expecting (discussed here: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10937 ) ... but with Microsoft's statement at GDC 2004 that, "It's too early to announce future-generation Xbox products." (source: http://www.microsoft.com/xna/faq.aspx ), their plans have obviously changed (there's no way Microsoft could have stated at GDC 2004 that, "It's too early to announce future-generation Xbox products." , and then launch the console in 2004)

Evil_Cloud said:
Don't you people find it funny that MS always tries to bash Nintendo on the fact they are second?
Funny no, maybe sad. Nintendo is a giant in the business, MS is a dwarf, despite all the money they have and are pumping in. Sales isn't everything.

thop said:
Evil_Cloud said:
Don't you people find it funny that MS always tries to bash Nintendo on the fact they are second?
Funny no, maybe sad. Nintendo is a giant in the business, MS is a dwarf, despite all the money they have and are pumping in. Sales isn't everything.

I can almost remember the very day MS turned from Sony to Nintendo. It was right around the time Sony hit 25 million or so and it was clear that MS was going to be destroyed in the marketplace. Before then the MS rhetoric was along the lines of Sony's days are numbered, just wait till the next E3,Christmas.

One of the only things that did go right for MS in the whole xbox fiasco was they were able to keep pumping out the message that they were in second place and got a good number of reporters and people to believe it .

Bashing Nintendo is a whole lot better than coming right out and admitting that your product was a failure.

Evil_Cloud said:
I think no one really wants a console in 2004... or perhaps even in 2005.

Launching Xbox 2 mid next year (or at the end of this year) would really mean Dreamcast times 2 for Xbox 2... IMHO (depending on the specs/hype/... of Sony and Nintendo)

Personally, the sooner the better for me as I haven't bought a console since 2000.

But if Xbox2 comes out Xmas 2005 and Sony promises something better within a year, it could be Dreamcast over again. If on the other hand, it's well over a year between the XB2 and PS3 and the XB2 only costs $200, a lot of people might be more willing to try out the XB2.

But if MS and Nitendo put both their consoles for Christmas 2005 at "low" price then they get a Christmas sale season of advance and if the power is more or less the same Sony would have bad times.

pc999 said:
But if MS and Nitendo put both their consoles for Christmas 2005 at "low" price then they get a Christmas sale season of advance and if the power is more or less the same Sony would have bad times.

I seriously doub anyone will be able to threaten Sony during the first one/two years. The PlayStation brand is just too strong for it. However, I do think Nintendo and Microsoft will put up quite a fight, so in best circumstances, they might get real close to Sony.

Evil_Cloud said:
pc999 said:

I seriously doub anyone will be able to threaten Sony during the first one/two years. The PlayStation brand is just too strong for it. However, I do think Nintendo and Microsoft will put up quite a fight, so in best circumstances, they might get real close to Sony.

Yes at least that , BTW I foegot to mention good good relation to dev (XNA,etc...)

Back