Resitance Fall Of Man First Look Article + Gameplay Video

Taken from the Insomniac forums..
Hey guys,

Resistance: Fall of Man will be featured on Game Head (Spike TV) on Saturday night/Sunday morning. The only reason I mention this now is that InsomRPS and I were discussing DVRs and I realized I wanted to record it --- figured I'd put it on your minds to make sure you were set to record it as well.

Also, random cool point - I typed in Game Head in the TiVo Search Engine and it pulled the show - along with the Coach Callahan Show - which I didn't know was aired in L.A. (Apparently the description, "Nebraska highlight GAME footage with commentary by HEAD coach Bill Callahan," pulled it up). Needless to say, I'm a happy camper that I can watch that show now!

Anyways - back to Resistance: Fall of Man - we have pretty much the full half hour devoted to us, so there will be tons of footage, lots of info, and maybe a couple new tidbits... what are they? You'll just have to watch to find out Laughing.

*bb goes to set his tivo :)

TGS Interview with Ted Price

Brilliant video here, perhaps the best I've seen of the game thusfar. Some really stunning stuff, particularly the Chimeran architecture:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/insomniacshooter/download_ini.html?sid=6158346&id=6158346

To whet the appetite:

resi1sx0.jpg

resi3fq2.jpg

There may be a spoiler in there, Ted mentions at one point "Whoops, you don't want to see that!" when something flashed on the screen, but it was so quick I couldn't see it. But just want to forewarn if people are sensitive about that.

The sense of scale is definately there in the clip, when he first started out on the bridge I was like whoa...then he turned around and Im like whoa again...its huge. :LOL: God mode was turned on as he pointed out just for display purposes, but I can see the game getting very strategic, especially in co-op. The guns are all great, can't wait to play them, but I think my favorite guns are the bullseye and the shotgun(very satisfying feeling to it, if I may add). There seems to be tons of chaos, and everything seems to be affected by other things (read: explosions). Insomniac is doing a top notch job, really setting the bar.

The game is looking amazing, period.

Sorry for double post, was this posted?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=13302&type=wmv
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=13298&type=wmv
some new environments in there i havent seen yet.

Theres one moment where the chimera runs away from the player, player looks almost confused as if "where did he go", the player walks through a door entrance and gets shot down by a sneak attack from the hiding chimera, if thats not good AI, I dont know what is. Seems like a multiplayer gameplay moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for double post, was this posted?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=13302&type=wmv
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=13298&type=wmv
some new environments in there i havent seen yet.

Theres one moment where the chimera runs away from the player, player looks almost confused as if "where did he go", the player walks through a door entrance and gets shot down by a sneak attack from the hiding chimera, if thats not good AI, I dont know what is. Seems like a multiplayer gameplay moment.

Thx, man. Beside the gfx, the animation is awesome too.

im dubious theyre hitting 1080p with this game (esp being a launch title) if it is true then the ps3 has no problems with 1080p,
this aint a boxing / tennis / racing game. from a rendering viewpoint theres lots of big particles / huge environments / quality models / textures etc (lighting is the only weak point).
if they are achieving 1080p that means practically any ps3 game should be able to achieve 1080p, a real kick in the pants for other ps3 devs if theyre not

im dubious theyre hitting 1080p with this game (esp being a launch title) if it is true then the ps3 has no problems with 1080p,
this aint a boxing / tennis / racing game. from a rendering viewpoint theres lots of big particles / huge environments / quality models / textures etc (lighting is the only weak point).
if they are achieving 1080p that means practically any ps3 game should be able to achieve 1080p, a real kick in the pants for other ps3 devs if theyre not

Yeah, makes me wonder how all these games all of a sudden achieve a 1080p. I hope in the end it's not just scaled up stuff... would be a big no no for me...

could someone please link me to the most impressive gameplay video of resistance at the show?
I think I must have not found the correct video yet.

They are all impressive to me imo, but specifically I like the gamespot video with Ted Price interviewed Titanio linked to earlier. Theres a variety of videos that show off the games different strengths, I linked to a video earlier that shows off some pretty good AI at work for example.

Generally a good looking title ticking most of the boxes. Texture detail seems marledly improved on previous showings. The biggest downside is the scenery still looks like lots of overlayed objects. That's obviously a hard one to get right without GI maps or some similar shadowing.

I would perfer a 720/60fps game to a 1080/30fps game.

It seems the game has been confirmed at 1080p now. I hope they didnt have to go down to 30fps. I think it already looks amazing at 720p

Last edited by a moderator:
I would perfer a 780/60fps game to a 1080/30fps game.

It seems the game has been confirmed at 1080p now. I hope they didnt have to go down to 30fps. I think it already looks amazing at 780p

wow, ive heard you, + have reported this to the developer + they yes, lower res!
LOWER RES
that is the key
my mic picked upthe following piece
1080...., 1080......... 1080 is bullshit we should go 720, WTF, wait ive just snorted a line,,, ....... seven...... twwwwwenty
720 yes thats low res
(someone piped up in background)480 is lower
whhhhhhhhat we can go lower than 720, WTF why wasnt I told
tap tap ....i wish to anounce resitence will now ship at 480p

ahem the NDS runs at a lower res
why the fuck do we aim for 480 for christs sake get me some compentent guys

I would perfer a 780/60fps game to a 1080/30fps game.

It seems the game has been confirmed at 1080p now. I hope they didnt have to go down to 30fps. I think it already looks amazing at 780p

It was always 720p/30, except for multi-player, but 60fps for multi-player has been dropped already around E3 I believe, going for 40 players online instead.

It is therefore going to be interesting whether they think it is technically easier to do 1080p/30 than 720p/60, and that the former is also better looking ...

Right now though, I have my doubts that they will hit 1080p, but we'll see!

Back