Resitance Fall Of Man First Look Article + Gameplay Video

Look what i said on post #179, told you all :p

LOL that was three days ago, this game had already raised up in peoples expectations by then, and also there are no reviews...

But yes this game is shaping up to be a very good game, as expected from the makers of R&C series.

Short videos but nice. I noticed now for instance that the hailstorm gun 'bullets' actually bounce off the walls, and more than once too, meaning that you can use them to shoot around a corner, for instance.

I got the longer video pauzed at 0:59 right now, giving me a full sized alien on screen, and darn, the amount of detail is pretty staggering. Just the gun alone, and the head, all looks very good. Yes, the art direction could probably be better but it's pretty good anyway, and technically, wow! Really ... amazing. I have deep respect for what they've managed to achieve already!

Cool, at 1:07 I have a sideshot of an alien getting a full shotgun blast to the stomach, his mouth is stretched out wide open and he clearly isn't enjoying himself. :)

1fr3.jpg

This is a perfect example of where the artistry is wrong. Trees are GREEN! Grass is GREEN! Yet this game renders them in shades of dirt (although maybe they've used reference screens from the northest of England where everything really is a shade of muck? I'd like to see some such reference photos.). Whatever case you can make for not having the different colours of brick, slate tiles, roads, skin, coloured insignia on uniforms etc., having brown trees is ridiculous. If it's Autumn, they'd be yellow's and oranges. Winter, and they wouldn't have leaves. Muted colours as an artistic direction has been taken way to far. Perhaps someone will argue that the aliens have spread a herbicide throughout the area and all the plants are dying, hence the ill colour?

I'm starting to get interested in this game, after the IGN hands-on article... Not that i'll ever buy it, by the time i get a PS3, Resitance 4 will be out...

One of the devs or a producer or somethign just posted on gaf a few hours back. He said that the screens have all been pretty washed out and they're hoping to get some that show off the color in the game a little better.

I'm starting to get interested in this game, after the IGN hands-on article... Not that i'll ever buy it, by the time i get a PS3, Resitance 4 will be out...

So get em all, by time Resistance 4 comes out the first three should be in the bargin bin :LOL:.

As I see more screen shots, the more bargain bin this game is starting to look to me...sigh...Damn, I'm talking as if I'll get a PS3 on launch. ;) I'm hoping, but the odds are against me...

As I see more screen shots, the more bargain bin this game is starting to look to me...sigh...Damn, I'm talking as if I'll get a PS3 on launch. ;) I'm hoping, but the odds are against me...

Well, the more I see of this game the more of a must buy this game is starting to look to me, especially since its from Insomniac. Have you seen the videos?

This is a perfect example of where the artistry is wrong. Trees are GREEN! Grass is GREEN! Yet this game renders them in shades of dirt (although maybe they've used reference screens from the northest of England where everything really is a shade of muck? I'd like to see some such reference photos.). Whatever case you can make for not having the different colours of brick, slate tiles, roads, skin, coloured insignia on uniforms etc., having brown trees is ridiculous. If it's Autumn, they'd be yellow's and oranges. Winter, and they wouldn't have leaves. Muted colours as an artistic direction has been taken way to far. Perhaps someone will argue that the aliens have spread a herbicide throughout the area and all the plants are dying, hence the ill colour?

they've got pics for york, nottingham and manchester under varyingly heavily cloud. all fairly northern i would say. we aren't sure of the location of some shots at all.. it's a bit grey'd out i should think, but remove that and it's fine. the old style stone wall is reflecting light in a way i can't figure out right now. it looks like after rain type look but that doesn't fit with some other things.

weather effects are definitely something i'm intrested in next gen. with the weather in england being so variable resistance might get to show of a few effects.

the trees in this game are still great. it looks like each individual visable leaf is rendered.

i think it is autumn because the game take place in a specific time period. we can have sunny day in autumn still and trees with leaves aswell. they are called evergreens. i'm fairly sure they've done their research.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Crayon said, an apparent dev posted about the color muting over at GAF:
This is James Stevenson from Insomniac Games. We're thrilled with IGN's Resistance: FOM preview and with the positive response it seems to be getting. However, some of you have noticed that the footage looks a little washed out. That's because it is. The footage was captured via direct feed, but the color levels weren't adjusted to account for the tape transfer.

You will soon be seeing the same gameplay footage, but with the color levels adjusted properly to reflect what you'll actually see in the game. Sorry about the mix-up!
-aldo

Look out for a 3000+ word impression later this afternoon @ http://www.gamedaily.com/ :)

The author of the preview included these details over on gaf that wont be in the actual article.
There were two things I just couldn't fit into the article, so I saved them for GAF

First, the knife on Hale's arm. You guys noticed it during the GameSpot footage a few weeks back, and you actually watch him equip the knife in the opening cinematic. Contrary to the speculation though, you won't be able to use the knife as a melee weapons -- though Ted Price was quick to point out there's a reason it's there.

Second, the Skill Points. Everyone was pretty tight-lipped about them and their implications, but I snagged the "Homing Beacon" point after I spent the bulk of a firefight relying on the tag bullet and its homing properties. It was really cool, cause I tagged the guy, retreated, crouched behind a wall and started firing, and my bullets had just enough velocity to clear the side of the wall before they curved to follow the tagged Chimera.

No, no mention of 1080p. I was at the same press event everyone else was at two weeks back, and while they're confident 1080p is possible and folks want to see it happen, there's no word if it'll be something they can do within their timeframe.
:)

While we wait for GameDaily's opus, there are some more impressions from the Aug 29 event here:

http://ps3.gamezone.com/gzreviews/p29647.htm

Resistance is, in a word, sweet. While some of the story elements could be seen as borrowed from other ideas, the game – on the whole – plays out with intensity and glorious gameplay elements all inserted into a stunning three-dimensional realization that will really become a benchmark for the FPS genre.

Ted Price, president and CEO of Insomnia, was frank in stating that “this is different than what we have done in the past,â€￾ but he also stated that Insomnia is “taking the power of the PS3 and creating a lot more depth.â€￾ He cited the four pillars (goals) for Resistance as being immersion, believability, creepiness and fun.

And an interview with Insomniac here:

http://ps3.gamezone.com/news/09_15_06_08_54AM.htm

Yeah... but to a casual observer, art direction may impress more than "subtle" features like 4xAA. Another technically inferior game can offer better art and triumph FoM in the graphics department in their eyes (which is not wrong). I hope the real color scheme is more attractive than the washed out ones shown so far.

As it stands today, if the media reports are accurate, FoM is truly well-rounded, deep and impressive. It's also good to know that they are adding more SPE support. My personal favorite is "Manhunt in Manhatten". I like the floating debri... perhaps in the future, we will see fight scenes in "real" snow or heavy rain :)

Like Crayon said, an apparent dev posted about the color muting over at GAF:
-aldo

After watching various videos I was impressed on how the game "moved" considering it is running at 30fps. At the same time though I was thinking the same thing, everything look washed out. Almost looks like the color pallett was reduced. So far i'm still picking COD3 over this title eventhough I prefer a good Sci-fi themed shooter.......HALO 3 and Gears i'm waiting for ya.

After watching various videos I was impressed on how the game "moved" considering it is running at 30fps. At the same time though I was thinking the same thing, everything look washed out. Almost looks like the color pallett was reduced. So far i'm still picking COD3 over this title eventhough I prefer a good Sci-fi themed shooter.......HALO 3 and Gears i'm waiting for ya.
That's cool and all, but did you actually bother to read the rest of my post which included a dev's quote? ;)
The footage was captured via direct feed, but the color levels weren't adjusted to account for the tape transfer.

You will soon be seeing the same gameplay footage, but with the color levels adjusted properly to reflect what you'll actually see in the game. Sorry about the mix-up!
-aldo

Gamedaily preview is up
http://ps3.gamedaily.com/game/features/?gameid=5258&id=397
5 pages of text, good stuff. :)

I like this part the best
This attention to detail isn't something solely limited to dead Chimera. Glass breaks and cracks realistically based off to the size, power, and location of the object that impacted it. Major explosions kick up dust and debris, temporarily masking the immediate area in a thick smoky cloud. The tubes on the Chimera's cooling units can be shot out, causing the tubes to flail wildly as the cool mist escapes. Car tires can be deflated with a single shot, and side view mirrors can be knocked off with another.

At one point, we observed a slowed version of the Howler's running animation, and were mesmerized by the realistic appearance of its tendons contracting and expanding, not to mention the way in which its claws bent as its weight was constantly being redistributed. All together, it's a level of polish one would consider impressive coming from any game, but given that Resistance is a first generation PlayStation 3 title, this speaks volumes about both the power of the PlayStation 3 and the level of talent Insomniac employs.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gamedaily preview is up :)
Good read. Very promising indeed. And throw in SONY's ability to hype monkey sh*t and make it seem cool, this should be a very successful launch title!

But man, that just makes the wait feel even longer for us, unloved & rejected PAL-onians!

Back