Resident Evil 5

I remember reading on 1up that the cut scenes are per-rendered, but I really don't know. Did anyone catch Dot50cal's RE5 demo comparison? http://www.the-horror.com/index.php?id=features&s=bh5demo (not trying to instigate anything, I promise)
If you look at the pictures from the cut scenes, You can see that the minor differences that they mentioned between the two versions are present in the cut scenes as well, which would lead one to believe that they're done in real time, right? If they were pre-rendered wouldn't they just insert the same pre-rendered cutscenes into both versions, as opposed to laying out, animating, and rendering everything twice?

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember reading on 1up that the cut scenes are per-rendered, but I really don't know. Did anyone catch Dot50cal's RE5 demo comparison? http://www.the-horror.com/index.php?id=features&s=bh5demo (not trying to instigate anything, I promise)
If you look at the pictures from the cut scenes, You can see that the minor differences that they mentioned between the two versions are present in the cut scenes as well, which would lead one to believe that they're done in real time, right? If they were pre-rendered wouldn't they just insert the same pre-rendered cutscenes into both versions, as opposed to laying out, animating, and rendering everything twice?

Impossible. Its in real time, no way.

Somehow the lighting from the cutscenes looked better than the rather flat looking actual gameplay footage. If you can pan around the camera during cutscenes like DMC4 then it's another story I guess.

The cutscenes are 100% realtime. You can choose any nymber of costume combinations and they all appear in all cutscenes.
Quite an impressive achievement, though the fact that there aren't more than 2 or 3 main characters on screen at any given time helps keep the framerate stable most of the time.
Two things they didn't quite nails though. Facial animations are badly exagerated and distracting (RE4 had much better facial animations) and the shaky camera is not well reproduced, it is way too exagerated and for the most part feels unnatural/artificial.

i am sure 50 GB can fit quite a lot of alternate costume movies.
on the other hand, weren't there some effects missing from the ps3 cutscenes? So yeah, both is possible.

on the other hand, weren't there some effects missing from the ps3 cutscenes? So yeah, both is possible.

Only ps3 game that uses dual layer BluRay is MGS4. And even that game didnt use more than 30gb of space.

The 360 doesnt have Blu Ray. SO what about that version?

Well from an article I read, Capcom said they wanted the realtime cutscenes to have better visuals than the ingame stuff.

So I been hearing this missing effects in the PS3 version, I recall it was the heat haze from that Assembly level? Can anyone confirm if it's there in the final game?

So I been hearing this missing effects in the PS3 version, I recall it was the heat haze from that Assembly level? Can anyone confirm if it's there in the final game?

There is a heat haze effect in the retail game. I noticed it most in the oil refinery. There is also a certain monster than generates a heat haze effect.

My first play though on normal was 11 hours. Now I am playing it on veteran and looking for all the hidden icons and jewels etc. There is so much stuff to search for and collect, if you played it more as an adventure game and not just a straight shooter it would be much longer. The game has some really good unlockables so it seems to be worth the effort.

It makes sense that the cut scenes would have a higher quality than the gameplay parts. They have full control over what goes into the cutscene. If some part cases a frame rate hitch, they can fix it. When the player is in control of the camera you need to leave more room for the system.

Also if you thought the difference between the gameplay cut scenes and the cinematic cut scenes were significant. The difference with the built in realtime 3D "action figure" model viewer is huge leap on top of that. They put in extremely high quality versions of the main characters/villans/monsters as an unlockable into the game.

It's like Grand Turismo does for cars, RE does for these action figures. It's just one model on screen and you can rotate it around and zoom etc. But they are so intricately detailed and shaded. The quality is just stunning. It's kind of like getting a glimpse at what games might look like in the next generation. Or maybe what it could look like on a very end PC version.

Eurogamer Review - 7

So while Resident Evil 5 might not be the game that the traditionalist might have hoped for, it still stands out as hugely enjoyable in its own right. Bereft of puzzle and exploration, Capcom has instead pointed both barrels at the action element in the hope that the masses will warm to it. Thanks to the game's stubborn loyalty to stop-and-shoot, the result is distinctive, but with suspect partner AI to contend with, this is a game that only truly comes into its own with a friend who's up for a challenge.

There is a heat haze effect in the retail game. I noticed it most in the oil refinery. There is also a certain monster than generates a heat haze effect.

My first play though on normal was 11 hours. Now I am playing it on veteran and looking for all the hidden icons and jewels etc. There is so much stuff to search for and collect, if you played it more as an adventure game and not just a straight shooter it would be much longer. The game has some really good unlockables so it seems to be worth the effort.

It makes sense that the cut scenes would have a higher quality than the gameplay parts. They have full control over what goes into the cutscene. If some part cases a frame rate hitch, they can fix it. When the player is in control of the camera you need to leave more room for the system.

Also if you thought the difference between the gameplay cut scenes and the cinematic cut scenes were significant. The difference with the built in realtime 3D "action figure" model viewer is huge leap on top of that. They put in extremely high quality versions of the main characters/villans/monsters as an unlockable into the game.

It's like Grand Turismo does for cars, RE does for these action figures. It's just one model on screen and you can rotate it around and zoom etc. But they are so intricately detailed and shaded. The quality is just stunning. It's kind of like getting a glimpse at what games might look like in the next generation. Or maybe what it could look like on a very end PC version.

I should be getting it today. Need someone to do online co-op with me...

Well I don't have the game but I have seen a lot of videos in the net and the smokes effects remains better on 360, it not depends from higher brighter on ps3 version how ign said, on 360 has simply a little more details, more volume. However I found the high brighter surely an advantage of ps3 version. About fps I noticed in the demo something 'strange' : with A controls setting dips are more evident than D setting controls (GOW style) . Maybe this is the reason because someone not notice these dips. I though depends to camera view moving: when the camera rotate a lot, the dips are really more evidents on ps3.

For anyone with the 360 version make sure you set the system to output 720p. I started the game with the system set to 1080 and had the worse screen tearing i have ever seen in a game! Setting to 720 totally fixes it.

Hated what i played of the demo but after giving the full game a chance it really is great!

So, does the Sunlight actually become part of or cause any horror? They have been saying that ever since the CG trailer of RE5 that Sunlight will be a part of horror in RE5.
From the demo, it wasn't, and the game doesn't seem to have HDR, which would be essential for such an effect of eyes adjusting to darkness or so.

Does the game have any such mechanic? or was it just something they thought but didn't incorporate?

re-qouting myself....anybody? spoiler tag it if required , but don't spill any story details in that either ;)

that doesn't change the fact that a 50 gb bluray could still contain a lot of movies with different costumes

Prerendered cutscenes are simply not an option.

Let's talk numbers. The game has around 80 minutes of cutscenes, which translates into roughly 20 GB of HD video (good [but not great] quality, and certainly not comparable to the quality of the realtime stream, but let's say it does the job) and to my knowledge we have 9 possible costume combinations.
Add the game data and whatever other extras and stuff, and the resulting numbers are pretty preposterous.

@ RenegadeRocks - i finished the game, but i never saw sunlight to have an effect on gameplay or story.

What is great about the game ? I wasn't moved by the demo but didn't really hate the game at all. Just indifferent to horror games in general.

I only played the demo part set in the marketplace with the guy with the giant axe. Thats the worst part in the game so far for me now (apart from maybe the pesky
gators
), and im about halfway through. The gameplay in that segment really goes against the controls because you are forced to run around avoiding enemys which amplifies the problem of not being able to move and shoot at the same time, after playing dead space it just felt horrible to me. The AI partner is actually very handy most of the time exept when you are trying to avoid enemys so the demo brings out the major flaws of the AI too.

Apart from that segment enemies are mostly thrown at you head on though while you are armed to the teeth which is where the combat comes into its own, and you dont really need to move about too much. I havent even thought twice about dead space comparisons outside of that shoddy demo segment.
I just think the demo was of a bad section of the game that doesnt play to the games strengths while at the same time highlighting its major weaknesses.

Also this is one game where as you get into the groove of things and get a handle of the contros it gets better and better. The game just doesnt demo well imo it really benefits from just sitting down for a few hours and playing it, if you just give it a chance itll reward you with a great experience im sure.

Edit:
Didnt really say what was great about the game did i, just what was wrong with the demo :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back