Resident Evil 5

RudeCurve said:
Have you perfected the 180 turn move? It's the only effective avoidance move in the game other than slowly walking backwards which isn't very useful for avoiding enemies.

do know that 99% of the time if you shoot the leg of a zombie, it will get stunned and grant you a melee attack if you reach it within the alloted time window. The "staggered" posture is easily recognizable and is different from the other "that didn't hurt" pause postures.

Other parts of the body that will do similar things are the head and arms. You could also pull off the melee attack when the zombie's back is facing you while stunned. It's one of the most rewarding QTEs because most zombies will not turn their back when stunned.

I'm not going to be able to play the game until probably wednesday (worse case scenario might be even next week), but I'll definately check it out. I haven't really looked at the manual either, but I guess that might be a great starting point to check which button does the trick. The rest I've learned pretty much from just trying out so far...

While I'm at it - I'll also try to adjust my style of play a bit to accomondate the shoot one shot followed by some melee combo. Is this also effective when fighting groups of zombies or does that make you vulnerable to attacks that will stuff up the QTE?

RudeCurve said:
Yeah I think you're hitting another button or something because when you draw a weapon your character should not turn in any way.

I'm not sure, but I think it might be a combination of a minor bug and some unfortunate timing. On the PS3 - R2 brings up the map and R1 marks where your partner is. I think what happens is, when I bring up my gun with the L1 button, I may have already pressed the R1 button to fire my first shoot (usually in panick or to speed up things) and the timing might cause my character to turn around and face my partner. That's the only reason that I can think of that would make some sense.

I don't think it's the 180° turn move - as that shouldn't work in aim mode?

RudeCurve said:
Haha I think I have the solution for you, you need to unluck infinite ammo for one of your weapons. I'll explain how to do that just read on.

Yeah I think that's the problem, it sounds like the split screen mode is preventing you from being able to see the laser beam properly. Also keep in mind that some weapons like the SMGs have lots of recoil so are not ideal for precise shots unless you fire in single shots which I often do if I have more SMG ammo than handgun ammo. It's not as fun shooting a SMG in single shots but sometimes that's what you have to do to balance out your ammo stock.

Another thing is when you upgrade the ATTACK RANGE stat of a weapon, you'll be able to aim farther with the laser.

Yes that's one way to do it but in your case I'd recommend upgrading a single weapon so that it could do more damage per shot which means less ammo used per zombie which I think is what's going on. Your weapons are too weak so you have to use more ammo to kill them. Try upgrading the FIREPOWER or PIERCE stats of your weapon. Also when you upgrade the capacity of your weapon you get free ammo. This can be very beneficial if you know how to take advantage of it.

Wait until you are out of ammo for a particular weapon before upgrading the CAPACITY stat for that weapon.

It's probably better to use your money to upgrade them instead of buying them because all of the weapons that are available for purchase can also be found in the game for free. After upgrading a particular weapon to its max abilities you're then given the option to unluck infinite ammo for that weapon only. This option however is not free as you'd need to trade in your acquired "game points" to enable this. You get points after completing each game stage.

Woah, that's some great advice. I'll definately concentrate in upgrading my weapons then, since this would instantly make the game a lot more fun (for me) if I can actually use my weapons and free ammo would be a giant leap forward. :)

Would it spoil the game if I start spending all my money to upgrade the revolver/magnum or is it best to start on the handgun or one of the submachine guns? I'm thinking the revolver probably requires more money to max out which would make it harder I guess...

RudeCurve said:
Now with that said even if you are only able to unlock infinite ammo for a single weapon, that's really all you need to be able to play without worrying about conserving ammo. This in itself will likely make it less frustrating for players like yourself. What this also means is you are now able to easily take down enemies which in turn drops items/money/ammo. You then could take the money/ammo and use them for whatever upgrades/weapons you see fit.

The game is designed so that you could go back and play any chapter to stock up on ammo, money or missed weapons to prepare you for the later chapters.

One last rather stupid question :oops: for the Resident Evil noob - can I start any chapter and re-use my upgraded weapons? I was under the impression that I could only start my on-going progress with the "continue" option and that any weapons that I may upgrade to become only available at earlier chapters by completing the game first. Reading your very helpful post gave me the impression that this is not the case?

I would actually test this if I had the game at home, but I left it at my mates place (with whom I'm completing the game), so I might only be able to check it out later this week or next...

Thanks in advance!

One last rather stupid question :oops: for the Resident Evil noob - can I start any chapter and re-use my upgraded weapons? I was under the impression that I could only start my on-going progress with the "continue" option and that any weapons that I may upgrade to become only available at earlier chapters by completing the game first. Reading your very helpful post gave me the impression that this is not the case?

I would actually test this if I had the game at home, but I left it at my mates place (with whom I'm completing the game), so I might only be able to check it out later this week or next...

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you can use the upgraded weapons afterward in any chapter or difficulty. Likewise for infinite ammo, though that option can be turned on separately for each weapon and overall (in case you don't want your online partner to use it.. go figure).

I didn't read all the comments, but my advice for conserving ammo is melee attacks. The best ones are prompted by shooting enemies in the knees and going behind them for an instant kill. Other than that, give Sheva a sub-machine gun only if you're going solo. She conserves ammo with that weapon only ironically.

If you can find a good online partner, you'll definitely enjoy the game. With the AI on Veteran or Pro... you'll get gray hairs.

If you're on PSN, I can lend you a hand since I still play the game regularly. My ID is Verdugo04.

Yes, you can use the upgraded weapons afterward in any chapter or difficulty. Likewise for infinite ammo, though that option can be turned on separately for each weapon and overall (in case you don't want your online partner to use it.. go figure).

I didn't read all the comments, but my advice for conserving ammo is melee attacks. The best ones are prompted by shooting enemies in the knees and going behind them for an instant kill. Other than that, give Sheva a sub-machine gun only if you're going solo. She conserves ammo with that weapon only ironically.

If you can find a good online partner, you'll definitely enjoy the game. With the AI on Veteran or Pro... you'll get gray hairs.

If you're on PSN, I can lend you a hand since I still play the game regularly. My ID is Verdugo04.

Thanks for the offer and I'll gladly accept. I might not be able to add you before Monday though - after work, I'm straight off to a weekend in the black forest.

I was able to give RE5 a brief go last night btw - and using already upgraded weapons works great. Though I think there's a limit on how quick you can upgrade your weapon. I guess I'll just have to play more to fully upgrade it then...

Thanks for all the advice!

While I'm at it - I'll also try to adjust my style of play a bit to accomondate the shoot one shot followed by some melee combo. Is this also effective when fighting groups of zombies or does that make you vulnerable to attacks that will stuff up the QTE?

If you're fast once the QTE starts you're invincible during that animation sequence. The melee attack can knock groups of zombies around if they're standing close to the targeted zombie.

I'm not sure, but I think it might be a combination of a minor bug and some unfortunate timing. On the PS3 - R2 brings up the map and R1 marks where your partner is. I think what happens is, when I bring up my gun with the L1 button, I may have already pressed the R1 button to fire my first shoot (usually in panick or to speed up things) and the timing might cause my character to turn around and face my partner. That's the only reason that I can think of that would make some sense.

I just checked the controls and yeah I think you're pushing the Fire button right before pushing the AIM button. The Fire button doubles as the Locate Partner button.

Would it spoil the game if I start spending all my money to upgrade the revolver/magnum or is it best to start on the handgun or one of the submachine guns? I'm thinking the revolver probably requires more money to max out which would make it harder I guess...

Yeah the revolver requires a lot of money to max out. If you think it's worth it then go for it, I can't say if it'll ruin the fun for you or not but it definitely helps for taking down the big bosses.

Back