Removing Windows 7?

Hiya

Have 2 HDs. One with Ubuntu and Windows XP, wich is the one with the Grub. The other HD has 2 Windows. The Windows 7 got some malware or virus i dont know. Which starts filling the memory.

Anyway how can i remove that Windows. Would just erasing the partition causeme any troubles with the boot sequence?

Kind of desperate. Hhehehehe

Use Gparted in Ubuntu and simply remove the partition and recreate it and start over. Since grub is on your other HD it will be fine.

doesnt win7 have a really good system restore
If you don't know weather you have malware or a virus how are you comming to the conclusion that you are infected with a virus or malware.
having very little free mem in win7 is not a definite indication of malware or a virus

doesnt win7 have a really good system restore
If you don't know weather you have malware or a virus how are you comming to the conclusion that you are infected with a virus or malware.
having very little free mem in win7 is not a definite indication of malware or a virus
Turn it on the task manager (ctrk alt del) it starts with 580 megs and progresivly starts climbing. With 0 additional programs running.

So erase the partition is it them?

Right now im downloding avira. You guys think maybe, does it worth the shot trying to install it in the partition and see whats up?

Avira? Not that great.
Run SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes first - both in Safe Mode. Then go to AV programs like Avira or AVG

you do know the default behaviour of windows 7 is to use all your free memory, main culprit is superfetch

Windows 7 and Vista don't work with RAM the same way XP did. They were built under the idea that free RAM is wasted RAM. So Windows 7 is going to try to use as much RAM as necessary and will free up RAM for new applications when necessary.

Avira? Not that great.
Run SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes first - both in Safe Mode. Then go to AV programs like Avira or AVG
Lets see here Mize.

Get malwarebytes or Super. Boot the infected windows. Then install malwarebytes in the infected windows. Then restart in safe mode and run malwarebytes.

Is that the way i should do it?

Lets see here Mize.

Get malwarebytes or Super. Boot the infected windows. Then install malwarebytes in the infected windows. Then restart in safe mode and run malwarebytes.

Is that the way i should do it?

Get superantispyware first (there's a free version and I know of at least one malware where you need to run it first). Install it then reboot and run a comprehensive scan in safe mode.

Next do the same with Malwarebytes.

THEN do AV.

no download malwarebytes, boot into safe mode and install and run it. Then reboot

I've done the install in normal mode many times, but I see no reason not to follow Davros' advice.

IMHO SAS and Malwarebytes are the best available today. SpybotS&D used to lead, but misses a lot these days.

the reason i said install in safe mode is a lot of malware (eg: antispyware 2010) will not allow malwarebytes to install. Only when you boot into safe mode as an administrator (forgot that bit about administrator in safe mode sorry inquistor) can you install it, Although I think the op will be fine in normal mode as i dont actually think he is infected, he is just panicking because of the lack of free memory

you do know the default behaviour of windows 7 is to use all your free memory, main culprit is superfetch
Forgot to say, the CPU is stressed up tp 50-60% withouth running anything. Dun dun dun....

Sorry for my ignorance. For safe mode i should press f8, i cant remember right now. All this trauma is affecting my little brain :)

Downloading the suggested programs right now.

digitalwanderer, so AVG. NOD32 is norton. But im a fan of the free anti viruses or at least not so expensive ones. So AVG or Avira?

the reason i said install in safe mode is a lot of malware (eg: antispyware 2010) will not allow malwarebytes to install. Only when you boot into safe mode as an administrator (forgot that bit about administrator in safe mode sorry inquistor) can you install it, Although I think the op will be fine in normal mode as i dont actually think he is infected, he is just panicking because of the lack of free memory

THAT's the baddie that needs SAS first! and then Malwarebytes, isn't it?

Yes, F8 for safe mode option.

digitalwanderer, so AVG. NOD32 is norton. But im a fan of the free anti viruses or at least not so expensive ones. So AVG or Avira?

NOD32 is NOT norton. Norton is malware. NOD32 is the best anti malware out there. It's from eset.

Still, it won't clean your mess.

If you run AVG free and turn off scripts you should be reasonably safe. (after cleaning your OS)

I like AVAST more than NOD32, believe it or not. Their v5 is even faster than NOD32 and it's free. Been using NOD32 for almost 2 years here and decided to dump it because it can slow things down and was causing weird pauses with my system when it would scan downloaded files for long periods of time.

I've heard great things about AVAST but it's not free for commercial use. I might consider it next time I upgrade the company, but I have the whole place on eset suite and haven't had a malware issue or hack in 2 years now. I also use a good endpoint firewall of course too.

There's a whole lot of talk in here about installing various software, but I don't think we've really tapped the original problem.

Inquisitor: you say you can start task manager in Windows, right? In Windows 7's task manager there's also a button for Performance Monitor. Click on that button.

Performance Monitor will allow you to see all disk access, all memory access, all CPU access, and all network access individually and per-process. There is absolutely no reason why you should not be able to directly see which process is using CPU, disk, doing ram allocation, etc. These indications aren't the same as the ones presented to you in Task Manager, so don't confuse the two.

Tell us which process(es) is using all these resources, because I'm not yet convinced that you are experiencing malware.

Back