RAGE: That's actually what you do when trying to get the PC version to work

Quick update: changing to the IntelliMouse 3 fixed the in game menu selection issue, however reducing the Imperiator's resolution and increasing Rage's mouse sensitivity helped greatly in reducing the menu stutter, and didn't seem to impact the game play.

why would reducing the res of a mouse you no longer use make the game better.

why would reducing the res of a mouse you no longer use make the game better.

Sorry that was too quick a reply, what i mean to say was that using the Intelli Mouse 3 solved the issue, so it was obviously the Razer Imperiator that was causing the problem. I then switched back to the Imperiator and started tweaking the settings. It seemed Rage doesn't like being set to the lowest sensetivity in game but having the Razer on maximum resolution. By reducing the Razer's resolution for 3600dpi and increasing the in game sensitivity, the poor mouse control for in-game menus was greatly reduced while keeping the gameplay mouse feel broadly the same.

I've recently bought the anarchy edition of Rage and I'm about to go into act 2, which from what I read is much shorter than act 1. Anyway, I wasn't there when the game launched and didn't see first hand what that botched AMD driver release did but what I do know is this:

I installed Rage and Steam automatically updated the game to the latest version. After constant stuttering problems on the very first room on my i7 2600K + 8gb + 6970 2gb I finally found a post by a single guy advising to create the folder c:\Users\<name>\appData\Local\id software\rage so that the game could place a 1gb megatexture cache file there. I was skeptical but gave it a try. Once the folder existed, the game created the cache and updates it whenever the game is running.

Can someone explain to me how _that_ is AMD's fault? Like I said, the botched driver probably killed some puppies and firstborns I don't know I didn't have the game then: but how can a game released 6 months ago still have such a problem after the "clusterfuck" as JC put it?

Btw, I'm still using Cat 11.11p2. Unless the newer graphics drivers magically improve the texture resolution to 2011's standards and increase the difficulty of the game I'm not interested (I'm playing on ultra violence WITH a gamepad).

That RAGE texture swapfile tweak showed up way back last fall. I never bothered with it myself since the game ran buttery smooth on my lowly Phenom II X4 with a 560 Ti from day one. I don't know what's up with the reports of GCN cards running the game poorly. My 6950 seems to run it quite well these days. I tried it out about a week ago with 12.4.

You should definitely try newer drivers. 12.1a was essentially a Rage hotfix, so I'd think 12.2-12.3 are necessary. It gives you an idea of how much work they had to do to their driver when it takes months to get it nailed down. If you have a older Radeon around, feel free to try to play the game on 11.10. ;)

So I finished Rage and thoughts on Endings aside... I didnt realise how tight and awesome the mouse feel was until I started playing Deus Ex: HR afterwards.

I dont know if its due to the horsepower required for either games or its just that Carmack is crazy about latency. Regardless of the game, the response and feel of mouse was just great and I wish more (modern) PC FPS felt that way.

DXHR could use better tech no doubt. They've supposedly reduced the stuttering in the latest patch at least.

Just thought I'd add to this thread again with my latest findings? After rebuilding my PC with windows 8 and forgetting that the save for Rage is not in the Steam folder or the steam cloud I held off reinstalling and finishing it (from the start). Upon installation with CAT 12.8 I was a little disapointed by the juddering frame rate (afterburner OSD 48ish - 60fps) when driving the buggy, and even more so when I saw my brother system running a constant 60fps and looking so much smoother.

My PC: i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz, Gigabyte Windforce HD7970
My Bros: i7 860 @ stock, ASUS DirectCU TOP GTX670

My GPU usage was around 70-90%, I then checked CPU usage, 100% constantly when driving! I tried playing with Catalyst AI but to no avail. I then googled a thread on steam forums and copied the start up config bellow, and my CPU usage was returned to 50%ish and the game returned to the silky smooth experience it should be (although still not a constant 60fps).

"+jobs_numThreads 0 +set com_skipIntroVideo 1 +m_smooth 0 +m_rawInput 1 +vt_maxPPF 16"

No idea which part of the config dose the fixing.

I'm utterly shocked that a year on AMD / ID havn't fixed these issues.

Or maybe they've broken things while fixing other things. There have certainly been other cases of Catalyst 12.x regressions. It is completely ridiculous that you can't get a constant 60 fps out of that card with this game.

I downloaded The Scorchers DLC for RAGE and found an odd issue. For the peeps who have SLI rigs you may run into a problem with SLI and GPU Transcoding being disabled in RAGE.

The wordaround is to go into the NV Control panel choose the RAGE profile and for CUDA GPU assignment settings assign to a single GPU (I selected GPU 2 - so GPU 1 can focus just on rendering only).

Just to update this thread again, since I was happy to bash AMD for their previous driver issues with this game. I have now moved to Windows 8 with the 12.11 beta drivers and the game runs fantastically smoothly, as you might expect it to run :)

I'm now onto the second city and really enjoying the gameplay, might have to investigate the DLC once I finish it.

Did anyone have the 'Sewers' DLC for Rage?

I can't see it on Steam, seems like it was just a few extra missions scattered throughout the Wasteland rather than a campaign?

I just downloaded and started RAGE from Steam and all my textures are garbled !
I have an ATI HD4850 Catalyst 12.4 drivers. All the textures are just garbled up and keep changing. I mean every object has every kindof of texture, can't make out anything and Steam Screenshot function won't take screenshots of it wither. Recently modded Doom 3 is running fine, so my card is not dead.

ok this is th eproblem:
2mf0i20.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I Dont have an enable/disable catalyst option

Only a catalyst a.i texture filtering option (performance/quality/high quality)
and enable surface format optimization

Well, there's a "disable Catalyst AI" check box which I unchecked to get this issue sorted out.

In other news, the game has lulled me, feels boring and bland as of now. Pretty visuals, very pretty, but it feels I am walking in a photograph, it feels too static. Dunno why ! and the gunplay really needs a peek option, the way enemies shoot through holes in walls and all, and it isn't there. And the controls seem to be designed for a controller "press Ctrl and hold to bring up a menu to select ammo type" WTF !
Why can't I consume a bandage or a wingstick or a grenade with a tap of a button/ First I have to select them via F1, F2 or F3 and then press 'Q' to use them ! WTF ! Why can't I throw a grenade by tapping G, like I have been in all shooters on PC?

Maybe I should just plug in my X360 controller for PC, but I hate that device and its thumbsticks.

In good news, the enemy movement and reactions to my shooting seem to be fantastic ! and it is running at 60fps @1 920X1080 on my PC. So,atleast it is smooth, but with screen tearing issues !

I was so excited but playing Doom 3 with sikkmod is more entertaining than this for now :rolleyes: ! WIll the game improve?

You should never disable Catalyst AI globally for all the games only for the ones that is known that it causes problems, for example Doom3, Catalyst AI controls many special optimizations for games and also crossfire profiles. To disable Catalyst AI per game use a third party tool like Radeon pro.

Btw this is the reason why AMD (ATI) removed the option to disable Catalyst AI on CCC, and on Radeon Pro you need to edit the profile directly, there's no option on the user interface either.

Rage runs smoother because lets be honest the texture quality is not that great and light and shadows are 99% backed, compared to Doom 3 where light and shadows are 100% dynamic and textures look much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back