R500/NV50

I kinda wondered why Ati would bother with a re-write of their OGL ICD for current parts (apart from the obvious), if a new architecture was scheduled for R520. Xbox2 & Longhorn probably indicate the timeframe for their next core based on R400 type tech.

stevem said:
I kinda wondered why Ati would bother with a re-write of their OGL ICD for current parts (apart from the obvious), if a new architecture was scheduled for R520. Xbox2 & Longhorn probably indicate the timeframe for their next core based on R400 type tech.

The best I can fathom, as I mentioned here that that the next core is actually and extension of the R300 line. This also corresponds with the comment I heard that the OGL rewrite wouldn't be available "for a couple of product releases". It seems like the rewrite is actually targetting R600, which, if I'm correct, will be the first PC product to be based on the unified shader architecture. They should be able to prototype the drivers on similar silicon as they will have the XBox chips back, which (again, if I'm correct) will be the platform R600 is developed from.

Architectural Lines:
R300 --> R420 --> R520

R400 (not released) --> R500 (XBox) --> R600 (PC / Longhorn)

It seems like the rewrite is actually targetting R600, which, if I'm correct, will be the first PC product to be based on the unified shader architecture.
Can't forget about the NV60. I don't think there's enough info to tell which card is going be released first.

It makes me wonder what kind of chip ATI initialy wanted to introduce for this generation of graphics chips.

What kind of design was the R400?

Too bad we'll probably never know.

pat777 said:
It seems like the rewrite is actually targetting R600, which, if I'm correct, will be the first PC product to be based on the unified shader architecture.
Can't forget about the NV60. I don't think there's enough info to tell which card is going be released first.

Sorry, when I say "the unified architecture" I'm not talking about DirectX, I was talking about ATI's. I'm keen to see if NVIDIA will adopt a physical unified architecture as when I asked Kirk about it in the initial NV40 presentations he was quite heavily against the idea at all - considering the way he said it and the fact that he's probably working on these generations at that time, it made me wonder if they would do it at all (however, it may be the case that the constraints on DirectX make it an inevitability).

Mindriot said:
What kind of design was the R400?

I firmly believe the original R400 would have been a unified shader archtecture, however its development is now forming the basis of the XBox R500 chip.

Re: shader architecture

Scott_Arm said:
Why would Nvidia be against a unified shader architecture? Just curious.

IIRC he threw in issues like cache coherancy and the like. The instruction scheduler has to be very good when allocating tasks and keeping the ALU's fed with as few bubbles as possible (and this hardware is a fixed costs across the entire range).

When you say Unified Shader Architecture, you mean that instead of having Pixel/Vertex pipes, you have generic pipes that can do either task depending on what the software demands.

Is that correct?

Mindriot said:
When you say Unified Shader Architecture, you mean that instead of having Pixel/Vertex pipes, you have generic pipes that can do either task depending on what the software demands.

Is that correct?

Yup.

Mindriot said:
could you be more specific?
From what Dave said there's still some problems with a unified shader architecture. Perhaps, MS is expecting all the problems of a unified shader architechture to be solved by the time DX Next is released.

Errm, these are not "inherant problems with the idea" they are different considerations when dealing with a new architecture - at the hardware level a unfied shader model can present potentially greater performance per silicon (at the high end) but to achieve it effectively it represtents a different set of challenges to find the optimal solution.

chavvdarrr said:
no, its great :)

I don't see what's so great about killing innovation and competition, cause that's what it's going to do if they end up doing it that way. The IHVs will have no choice but to implement the exact functionality that Microsoft think is good, rather than thinking for themselves. MS becomes the industry dictator, while IHVs end up building so similar products that basically only the brand name will differ.

Um, yeah how would this kill competition?

The details of the architectures and how they achieve a more unified, consistent set of features will differ markedly.

Is a Pentium 4 the same as an Athlon 64 just because they both run x86 with MMX and SSE2?

I don't see how a more consistent and broad set of base features (there can always be more, though they might not be exposed other than OGL or something) will just make all the products out there the same.

Back