R500/NV50

kenneth9265_3 said:
Any word on the R500 or the NV50 GPU :?:

Well, for R500, the obvious rumoured things;

Overall architecture is large pool of general ALUs with work distributed as threads, 32-bit IEEE floating point compatible calculations, virtual memory system for data, minimum of 256 (maybe 512 ?) MB of gfx RAM, better interaction between pixel shading and vertex shading (you can read data between them), at least dx9 pixel/vertex shader version 3.0 support, full floating point framebuffer support with blending, support for some kind of primitive processor with dynamic tessalation.

Some of the ideas for going to the above mentioned architecture can be found here;

[url]http://cva.stanford.edu/imagine/publications.html
[/url]

Especially this one;
http://cva.stanford.edu/publications/imagine-scalability/

tEd said:
Humus said:
I've heard the NV50 eats babies.

you are so mean.... :oops:

Don't say that. I've got picture proof. NV50 is to the right.

TurtleAndBaby.jpg

I can see some aniso filtering optimisations in that image. Rendered on your X800, Humus? Best ask the driver team to fix that pathological case in the next rev :LOL:

Rys

OT NV50 and R520 will well come on 90nm, and i have wondered this before but does anyone know when the foundries start their 90nm nodes
and what tech they will use, timeframe etz.

Briareus said:
So when will the DX10 spec be finished? Will the next gen gpus support it?

Well of course they'll "support it", but the main DX10 GPUs will be the NV60/R600, I'd imagine - the timeframes certainly indicate that will be the case.

fp 32 strait through for the r500ish chip. It will also support a few things from dx 10 and everything from dx 9 . will be 16x1 at 700mhz .

kenneth9265_3 said:
So do that mean we won't be seeing DX10 graphics for the next generation consoles?
AFAIK.... Xbox Next is going to support a customized version of DirectX, which feature-wise is roughly somewhere in-between DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 (it will have some features of DirectX 9 and some features of DirectX 10)

As for Nintendo Revolution; not enough info. is known about this console to know what type of graphics API it will support...

As for PlayStation 3; this console will not support DirectX...

There will be no DirectX10. The successor of DirectX Graphics is WGF (Windows Graphics Foundation), it will be Longhorn only, and cards have to support almost everything - or nothing at all. Supporting "some" features is not an option.

Back