Paperweight GPU back in business

pharma

Legend
Don't throw that dead gpu out yet! This last ditch effort might help revive that paperweight.

Two years ago one GTX 1080 started to display white screen with green dots, and finally just booted to a black screen. With two cards in the system I was able to see the card was recognized in Windows but using any ports on card always resulted in black screen. Tried numerous "fixes" but none worked (reseating, different cables, bios flashing, applying thermal paste) and online articles suggested memory might be the issue. Repairing the card at this point would only be for sentimental reasons so decided to skip any repairs and use substitute card.

Other day was reading how some people were successful in fixing dead cards by "baking" them in an oven. Was bored and decided I had nothing to lose as a last option before throwing the card in the trash. Followed the directions and stripped everything off the card (bare pcb). Put it in 385 F oven for 10 minutes, let the card cool for about 20 minutes then reassembled.

Was shocked that the card started working at boot and GPU-Z indicates card is operating normally per manufacturer specs and all features functional. I'm still numb but happy I have a functional card.

https://turbofuture.com/computers/How-to-Fix-a-Dead-Graphics-Card

Don't throw that dead gpu out yet! This last ditch effort might help revive that paperweight.

Two years ago one GTX 1080 started to display white screen with green dots, and finally just booted to a black screen. With two cards in the system I was able to see the card was recognized in Windows but using any ports on card always resulted in black screen. Tried numerous "fixes" but none worked (reseating, different cables, bios flashing, applying thermal paste) and online articles suggested memory might be the issue. Repairing the card at this point would only be for sentimental reasons so decided to skip any repairs and use substitute card.

Other day was reading how some people were successful in fixing dead cards by "baking" them in an oven. Was bored and decided I had nothing to lose as a last option before throwing the card in the trash. Followed the directions and stripped everything off the card (bare pcb). Put it in 385 F oven for 10 minutes, let the card cool for about 20 minutes then reassembled.

Was shocked that the card started working at boot and GPU-Z indicates card is operating normally per manufacturer specs and all features functional. I'm still numb but happy I have a functional card.

https://turbofuture.com/computers/How-to-Fix-a-Dead-Graphics-Card
I had to do this all the time to a 8800GTX that showed the same issues. A quick strip and bake every couple of months and it came back to life, until it didn't.

Good to know. It's always nice knowing that an old card works so I'll be curious to see if this fix is permanent or temporary.
Hopefully some cracked solder caused the issue and was resoldreed from the oven fix.

Last edited:
Good to know. It's always nice knowing that an old card works so I'll be curious to see if this fix is permanent or temporary.
Hopefully some cracked solder caused the issue and was resoldreed from the oven fix.
Yeah I think that is whats happening. A similar thing was done to RRoD X360s with the towel trick.

When I read the title I thought you had restarted up a business putting gpu's in epoxy resin and making paperweights out of them.

Back