Question for developers... PS3 and framerate

in my above post i was referring, for example, me and you while playing the same game on our ps3; well mine is performing framerate issues while yours plays flawless...is it possible that my ps3 has a defective/broken spu's causing slower performances instead of a "system error" freezing my console???

Jobboy, did you listen music from your HDD, or some Mp3 player, or downloading stuff when you notice framerate drops?
Got you the last frimware?

in my above post i was referring, for example, me and you while playing the same game on our ps3; well mine is performing framerate issues while yours plays flawless...is it possible that my ps3 has a defective/broken spu's causing slower performances instead of a "system error" freezing my console???

two things to quickly check:

- same resolution was used?
- there were some issues I recall if you forced your bluray output to 24hz apparently

thanks for your answers though wasnt related to a real case, just an example (thanks God)...my question was relative to different players reporting different performances playing the same game here on net....and i wonder what's happening to PS3 system if a spu's becomes faulty (system freezing or slower performances??)

If it's on a the singular same game it can be a problem a duplication of the game… but in this case it's more a streaming problem (lake of texture, etc…) but with use of the HDD may be it's translate in some framerate drop?

The number of SPU's that can be used by a programmer at any given time in all the PS3's in the world is 6, 1 is redundancy as you said and one is OS tasks. It could be possible that the people who are experiencing higher framerates are playing at a lower resolution(480/576P) this would definitely increase the framerate, other then that I can't see much more increasing the framerate.

actually, from experience, 720p runs better than sdtv resolutions. my guess is that all games render at that res and downscale accoardingly (though from what i've seen no aa is added)....

actually, from experience, 720p runs better than sdtv resolutions. my guess is that all games render at that res and downscale accoardingly (though from what i've seen no aa is added)....
I agree, a lot of games do that (and at least you get some additional supersampling on your SDTV ;) )

hi all

I've still a basic question: if one single spu break down or becomes defective does the ps3 stop running or continue performing lower performances?

hi all

I've still a basic question: if one single spu break down or becomes defective does the ps3 stop running or continue performing lower performances?

Cell has 8 spu's and if during manufacturing 1 of the 8 spu's is found out to be broken chip can still be used to build ps3. For PS3 there is no difference in performance if there is actually 7 or 8 working spu's. The eight spu is never used for anything but redundancy to make the chip cheaper to manufacture.

As for spu broken in use how the hell could single spu become suddenly defective while rest of the chip continues to function properly? In theory I guess it could be possible but in reality that is something that really just wouldn't happen or be reasonable to implement.

hi all

I'm not a developer, but my guess would be the PS3 wouldn't boot at all if it's power on system tests fail. That or if it escapes the system test, your game will just randomly crash as the defective SPU starts giving rubbish data.

I'm not a developer, but my guess would be the PS3 wouldn't boot at all if it's power on system tests fail. That or if it escapes the system test, your game will just randomly crash as the defective SPU starts giving rubbish data.

thanks for your answer!
I got call of duty 4 on my PS3 and i report some framerate drops here and there (especially when many explosions or soldiers onscreen)....while many friends online saying this game is a solid rock 60 fps and never seen a single hiccup playing both online and offline!! i dont know what to think????

thanks for your answer!
I got call of duty 4 on my PS3 and i report some framerate drops here and there (especially when many explosions or soldiers onscreen)....while many friends online saying this game is a solid rock 60 fps and never seen a single hiccup playing both online and offline!! i dont know what to think????

Have you checked that you and your friends have similar setups? Do you have a Widescreen TV and your friends have normal 4:3 TVs (this affects camera fov and thus performance)? Do you use different resolutions (1080i/1080p, 720p/720i, 480p/480i)? Interlaced screen also usually looks a bit more laggy than progressive, and different TV-technologies produce different amount of perceived lag (overhead projectors are usually pretty bad for any games that require lightning fast reflexes). Also check that you are using correct cable to connect your console to your TV. If you have different options, it might be a good thing to test them all (for both performance and image quality improvements).

Have you checked that you and your friends have similar setups? Do you have a Widescreen TV and your friends have normal 4:3 TVs (this affects camera fov and thus performance)? Do you use different resolutions (1080i/1080p, 720p/720i, 480p/480i)? Interlaced screen also usually looks a bit more laggy than progressive, and different TV-technologies produce different amount of perceived lag (overhead projectors are usually pretty bad for any games that require lightning fast reflexes). Also check that you are using correct cable to connect your console to your TV. If you have different options, it might be a good thing to test them all (for both performance and image quality improvements).

Or simple his more sensible for framerates drop than his friends…;)

Cell has 8 spu's and if during manufacturing 1 of the 8 spu's is found out to be broken chip can still be used to build ps3. For PS3 there is no difference in performance if there is actually 7 or 8 working spu's. The eight spu is never used for anything but redundancy to make the chip cheaper to manufacture.

The 8th SPE is physically disabled I believe. But even if it were just left there, I am under the impression that there is a task/job queue and the work is sent out to the SPEs as they become available to do a job.

Developers will tailor the tasks with having 7 SPE's in mind, but there is always the possibility that the 7 SPEs are in use at a given time slice with more jobs on the list where an 8th SPE (or more) would allow that next task to be started. Of course, the speed increase may not even be noteworthy if one of the original 7 SPE's was just about to finish a job anyway.

http://research.scea.com/research/html/CellGDC05/34.html
http://research.scea.com/research/html/CellGDC05/38.html

The 8th SPE is physically disabled I believe. But even if it were just left there, I am under the impression that there is a task/job queue and the work is sent out to the SPEs as they become available to do a job.

Developers will tailor the tasks with having 7 SPE's in mind, but there is always the possibility that the 7 SPEs are in use at a given time slice with more jobs on the list where an 8th SPE (or more) would allow that next task to be started. Of course, the speed increase may not even be noteworthy if one of the original 7 SPE's was just about to finish a job anyway.

http://research.scea.com/research/html/CellGDC05/34.html
http://research.scea.com/research/html/CellGDC05/38.html

The 8th SPU is disabled during manufacturing and you cannot gain access to it through the firmware or OS..

I don't think they intentionally disable it, after all they do still need "fully working" CELL chips for some of it's other applications (Medical, Army etc.etc.)

I guess it's possible that the yields have improved so they now have to disable one during manufacturing, but I haven't heard as such from anyone.

Seems that it's cheaper to produce a chip with 8 SPUs on it and switch off one if it's faulty, rather than produce a 7 SPU chip and if any are faulty then you have to scrap the whole chip and make a new one.
I guess it's a bit like how a manufacturer makes a 3 GHz CPU but sells it as 2.6 GHz, just to be safe.. (but at least in a PC CPU you can try overclock it through jumpers or software)

The 8th SPU is disabled during manufacturing and you cannot gain access to it through the firmware or OS..

Ah, thank you. Then let my previous post be expanded to a hypothetical chip with 8+ working SPEs. :)

Seems that it's cheaper to produce a chip with 8 SPUs on it and switch off one if it's faulty, rather than produce a 7 SPU chip and if any are faulty then you have to scrap the whole chip and make a new one.

OT, but had to comment -->

With the layout as is, there is nothing lost by producing the image of the 8th SPE onto the wafer. If you did leave out the imaging of the 8th SPE, you'd just have a big blank area on the die (the dice would be the same size).

The chemical etchings still take the same amount of time as they're applied to the entire wafer at the same time. The exposure... may take slightly longer having to do the 8th SPE, but the gains of having it there for redundancy and yield far outweigh the throughput time. A redesign with only 7 SPEs to make a rectangular die would just be odd (forgive the pun) anyway, and not worth Sony's time.

Or simple his more sensible for framerates drop than his friends…;)

yes i could be more sensible...and i'm a little "happier" i'm not the only one reporting some chops. However PS3 is a strange console, it's the first example i can remember where players have so different ideas about gaming performances....is it possible the above closed thread hide some truth?

Back