quake 4 and swap file

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
Just configured Quake 4 for 1600x1200, everything maxed out.

The size of pagefile reached 1.8Gb...........

Do you mean used page file? Ummm, wonder why?

I guess the hi-res lightmaps must use more memory but wouldn't have thought that much. Last time I checked, when i was running Q4 (at 1280x1024 High Detail 4xAA) the process was only using around 250-300MB RAM.

Diplo said:
Do you mean used page file? Ummm, wonder why?

I guess the hi-res lightmaps must use more memory but wouldn't have thought that much. Last time I checked, when i was running Q4 (at 1280x1024 High Detail 4xAA) the process was only using around 250-300MB RAM.

How much RAM do you have? (both)

sorry, peak utilization reached 1.8Gb.

I have 1gb ram and swap file is 1.5gb, on a separate partition.

fear also had a peak of 1.2gb...

I think I'll just have to put 2gb of ram.

Last edited by a moderator:
32bit windows can not use more than 3GB memory including swap, so unless you use windows XP 64 you can set your swap file at 1GB ;)

I have 2gb of ram and a disabled page file and I can run Q4 in Ultra quality or play BF2 at max details and AA without ever running out of memory. Unless someone needs to use Photoshop to work on some big assets (and I mean big, such as images larger than 16.000 x 16.000 pixels) or similar, 2gb of total memory is enough.

HellasVagabond said:
Ive seen quite big speed increases with a 3.5g swap file...Especially on a 16mb cache drive...Could be just a coinsidence though.
3.5g? i bet it never even gets to 1.8g. Except for workstaiton apps.

HellasVagabond said:
Perhaps so but it still runs better.
runs better than what? a 2.5g page? a 2g page. i see alot of spew but no chew.:???: Is it set 3.5min and 3.5max?
or no min but 3.5max?

min 3.5 max 3.5
Runs better than the 2.5gb i had before.....
Perhaps it is cause the new Swap is on a 16mb Sata 2 HD , other than that i dont know why its running better.
On the other hand i know people that recommend 4gb swap file.
Im sticking with the 3.5gb config.

Cartoon Corpse said:
per process or entire system and all programs taken together?

3GB system wise and 2GB per process (3GB with the /3GB switch but I think the apps have to be aware of it); else the limit is at 32GB with PAE. but PAE means turning your PC in a kind of 32bit 286, old segmented memory hack which hurts performance (and doesn't allow more RAM to a given process I think)

Huge swapfile usage is not a problem during a game. It's when you quit back to the desktop that drives you crazy (and humbles you as well!).

Back