PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Microsoft is releasing it because they want something that will increase sales.

Sony doesn't have to increase sales. They are already the industry leader.

Nobody was talking about outperforming a console releasing a year later, neither a change in arquitecture when devkits have already been shipped. Bump in frequency or a bit of more ram at most.
There is rumor that PS4 neo may utilize a new CPU. Jaguar 8 cores with only 2.1 GHz may become severe bottleneck for the neo GPU.

This thread is not about business speculation or about sales leadership. Please remain on topic.

With all the pc benchmarks I've seen lately it's really unreasonable to expect a 4-6tf console to run 4k game comfortably especially without i7 level CPU. It's really 980 ti territory.

Not really. This is an AMD architecture we're talking about so it's RX 480 territory. Which is GTX 970 territory in Nvidia terms.

I wouldn't expect that to be true either, why would you pay for two architectures to be developed and then only use one of them? That truly doesn't make sense.

From tapeout to retail chips, including engeeniering samples, etc takes around a year, so... Highly unlikely, next to imposible
The situation is like NX. Currently its development kit uses Tegra X1, but a lot of people including digital foundry expecting NX will use Tegra X2 finally. It may just because new SOC is not ready for early development kit.

Well, but they'll give devs a performance target.

Early dev-kits could be just pc parts, in the leaked docs there were two or three different dev-kits (not implying different specs, just bussiness as usual)

Last edited:
2016-08-08: I post about the FCC filings, the short-term confidentiality, and a JOKE about Vita 2.
2016-08-09: Some Japanese website uses these two patents to start a Vita 2 rumor.
2016-08-10: GAF rumor starts about Vita Trinity. Musing about the modules part numbers.

I was joking about Vita, this is the Neo thread, they already announced Neo. So the most probable is either Neo, or PS4 slim, or even a simple PS4 revision. They also have a USB wireless module coming.

The short-term confidentiality letter is always there on all their patents, I mentioned it to point out who signed it, and it indicates the time frame for product announcement. The important part of this letter is the signature, it makes sure this is an SCE product, because SCE files everything under the generic Sony Corp (the FCC prefix AK8), making searching patents difficult.

Those part numbers mean nothing. All wireless modules by SCE are J20H0xx for the last 10 years.
When they source complete modules it's usually AW-xxxxx (AzureWave) and there's a million of those.

Last edited:
The sad thing is: Neo nor Scorprio would have happened if both the Xbox One and PS4 had been on equal ground sales wise. Because Microsoft got it wrong and PS4 is pulling away as much as it is; Microsoft is faced with the situation that they must bring out something that is better to not lose too much image wise. Meanwhile, Sony is also forced to counter that, or else they could be left behind.

I still think these two upgrades are bad for the market as a whole and as pretty much an early adopter on all my consoles so far (sans PS3 because of the HD transition), I am not even sure I'll get the Neo in whatever form it launches. I'm just that happy with my PS4. :/

VR happened. And both companies are trying to think of a way to cash in on it. Both PS4 and especially XBO aren't particularly well suited to providing a AAA VR experience. PS4 at least can do so with reduced visual quality and some compromises.

PS4 Neo was meant to coincide with the release of PSVR. Sony actually being serious about making PSVR a consumer reality prompted MS to scramble for a VR solution. Hence the partnership with Oculus and a console that could comfortably meet or exceed the minimum specs for Oculus led to Project Scorpio.

there will be two versions of Neo, the standard one with jaguar CPU, and the deluxe edition with a supercharger and 20" alloy wheels.

Deluxe Edition will also be painted red with white racing stripes. That will allow it to run 100% faster. Optional spoiler to prevent it from flying away when operating at maximum speed. :p

Regards,
SB

I came here excited to post the following:
On the bright side if Ryse is to XBO, and Order is to PS4, we should be given a glimpse of an amazing tech demo style game for Neo.

Then I remembered there are no Neo exclusives :(

I suppose they could make a presentation appear as though a game is a Neo exclusive. I suppose we should just expect that go forward.

Are we all predicting all Sony footage go forward will be the Neo version for marketing materials?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't expect that to be true either, why would you pay for two architectures to be developed and then only use one of them? That truly doesn't make sense.

I'm pretty sure many console designs get significantly different prototype ramifications during the earlier stages of development.
Reportedly, the Dreamcast had a prototype candidate with a 3dfx GPU, there was a 3DS with a Tegra chip, there was a PS3 with no GPU and 2 or more Cells, the PS4 had a 4GB version, etc.

With the APU between the PS4 and Neo being so different (not just some incremental upclocks), I wouldn't be surprised if there was more than one "APU candidate" for the later, even with both coming from AMD.
Of course, if Sony could delay the decision over either APU towards as late as E3's Scorpio announcement is a whole other story.

I'm pretty sure many console designs get significantly different prototype ramifications during the earlier stages of development.
Reportedly, the Dreamcast had a prototype candidate with a 3dfx GPU, there was a 3DS with a Tegra chip, there was a PS3 with no GPU and 2 or more Cells, the PS4 had a 4GB version, etc.

With the APU between the PS4 and Neo being so different (not just some incremental upclocks), I wouldn't be surprised if there was more than one "APU candidate" for the later, even with both coming from AMD.
Of course, if Sony could delay the decision over either APU towards as late as E3's Scorpio announcement is a whole other story.
But what other amd options are available now for sony if they want to ship the neo in oct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back