PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony can simply cancel the NEO all together, wait another year until 10nm is mature, and utilize a 10TFLOP "Vega" part in the PS4. Or, better yet, switch to NVIDIA who could offer significantly greater performance per watt.

Or maybe the people who want a 1000 $ console should just buy an xbox controller and stream to their TV from their PC. Nvidia doesnt have an X86 license so Sony would either have to break backwards compatibility and piss of a lot of people or go with an Intel CPU wich would dramatically bring up the price. Lets have some realistic expectations shall we

1,3x CPU boost, 2,3x GPU boost and 24% more bandwith for the same price as the original PS4 is exactly what should happen as a mid gen upgrade, decent improvement but still affordable. That gives them breathing room to launch a real next gen upgrade with PS5

My take on this is still the same. Every statement saying "Sony considered more power" is being misinterpreted.

AMD designed these archs, and Sony/MS makes small modifications from what AMD offers, at best . Many fans forget to give credit to AMD for 90%, if not 99% of this technology.

They both had similar choices available for power, price, and launch date.
Therefore they both knew what the competition could choose, and had to consider it.

Going with 4.2TF, they worry about the other guy beating them on power.
Going with 5.5TF, they worry about the other guy beating them on price and launch date.

They both decided a long time ago on their priorities, and neither is surprised by what the other guy is announcing. The only reason to upclock is if the market research result CHANGED since the decision was made. This goes for both MS and Sony. Seriously, in just a few pages that GAF thread is going batshit crazy with insecurity.

I think there's too much reminiscing of XB1/PS4 annoucement and press/public reactions. They both launch at the same time, and the more powerful specs was $100 less expensive. The DRM fiasco didn't help, forced Kinect bundling didn't help either. This cannot be the case here, and I can't tell which one is the better choice. We don't have access to their market research. We don't have price or launch date. No games have been shown. For Scorpio, no VR support, or headset price, have been announced.

Except the PC makes for a very poor console experience.

I agree with you on that. But im not sure if the people willing to pay top dollar for a high end console are a worthwhile market for Sony or MS

To draw an analogy, someone comes on here and says they want to build a gaming PC but their budget is only 500 $. And the answers he gets is that he should spend 500 $ more for a much better machine, thats nice but his budget is still only 500 $

Sony is restricted by both financial budget and power budget aswell as AMDS tech roadmap. Thats why specs look the way they do

Not from a MS rep from a Sony Rep telling him about knowing MS plan with a new model this year. He tells him no PS4 Neo this year...

Yes litterally no PS4 NEO this year. But a great new model of Xbox this year with a release just after E3...
I see a contradiction here :D
Having said all that I'm still stuck with MS because of their lack of true exclusives.
What?

Sony is restricted by both financial budget and power budget aswell as AMDS tech roadmap. Thats why specs look the way they do
Specs look the way they do because price will be reasonable for a console I think.
Scorpio with 384bit bus and 12Gb does not.

Last edited:
I agree with you on that. But im not sure if the people willing to pay top dollar for a high end console are a worthwhile market for Sony or MS
I'm really curious how large this market is too which is why I am eagerly anticipating both Neo and Scorpio. Premium markets are traditionally more nuanced than mass markets but equally they can be quite lucrative. However the Neo/Scorpio are likely to break convention as traditional premium market means better design and better materials and this is arguably the least important part of a console. And consoles exist in performance vacuum where lack of performance is outweighed by reduced cost. So how will consoles will better performance fair? There is certainly a market, I am potentially part of that market, but how many others?

Let the games begin!!! :yes:

People should be wary about doing random comparisons on the matter of the GPU when they only know TFLOPS figures. ROPs throughput and bandwidth, inner organisation are equally important.
The Rx 470 has 85% the shading power of the Rx 480, lower bandwidth and fillrate too and it achieves 95% of the later performances.
Depending on Scorpio inners caling could better or worth.

Pretty positive Sony is in the awkward position. Console in 2013 then 2016 and then another console in 2019/2020?
4K resolution requires 4x more power than 1080p. If 6TF gets a 1.3TF up to 4K. You would need > 16TF to get a 4.2TF quality graphics up to 4K.

You're not going to see that jump in 3 years from now at a reasonable TDP and price point. PS5 isn't going to be some massive generational switch unless we have fundamentally changed technology or have a break through somewhere. PS5 will be at best an improvement over Neo.

As always, time will tell, if you had asked me 4 years ago i'd had said that MS was going to win this generation easily.

However, i really believe that Scorpio announcement could have a major impact in XB1/S sales, the only console that i can remember that was announced this much early before launch was the PS3, an that's because its launch got delayed several months.

So, i believe MS is going to have a full year of very weak sales, and Neo is going to be building up momentum. When Scorpio launches is going to rival PS4/Neo with a massive installed base (prob. 60M+) with probably a significant price advantage. The consumer will decide then if its worthy to pay an extra price for the extra power.

If Sony continues this actual trend, we'll be hearing about PS5 in 2019. Which will pretty much mean Scorpio, in about a year a half later after its launch will be already competing with a new console.

I don't know, it kind of reminds me of the launch of the Dreamcast, blew PS1 and N64 out of the water, had great games an amazing price (199$¡¡) but it had to compete with the PS2 too soon before it could build up some significant userbase.

I guess my focus is around how this cycle is the beginning of a new method of faster cadence. I think after the cadence is set and people expect consoles at a certain interval I feel like your post makes a lot more sense.

With Neo the precedence hasn't been set, but they are going to sell it like it has been.
You risk burning your casual base.

With Scorpio they know the precedence hasn't been set, but they let everyone know it was coming and borked their XBO Slim sales to keep the good will with their customer base happy. By happy I mean letting all bro exclusives go to PC and let them know well in advance Scorpio is coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it really take 4x the power to go from 1080p to 4K? How do we define power? Surely, we've seen how quite a few parts of the pipeline don't run at full res even today, so why would we want to brute force everything and suck 4x the "power" just because the frame buffer is in 4K?

or maybe it hasn't 'borked' the sales as much as people would like to believe.
the core gamers who would buy the premium product may hold out, but then they probably either had xo anyway, or ps4 and wouldn't see the slim as reason enough to buy the new slim console anyway.
if people hold out for Scorpio then Ms still has the sale then if their holding out and not buying something else like neo.

people/mainstream who had not already invested in this gen could be less likely to want premium if they held out this long, so the slim is for them so that's what they'll buy at the right price.

so if it plays out like this then they haven't lost many sales, or to put it another way the sales lost wouldn't have expanded their userbase.

so it's easy to come up with multiple scenarios.

Well , there it is.

CpcrhirVMAA6L4X.jpg

Does it really take 4x the power to go from 1080p to 4K? How do we define power? Surely, we've seen how quite a few parts of the pipeline don't run at full res even today, so why would we want to brute force everything and suck 4x the "power" just because the frame buffer is in 4K?
I'm hoping we get some more feedback on this as well from some of the AAA Devs here.

If not at least we may have a clearer picture of the answer this sept 7.

IIRC Sony did not show Neo at E3 because the titles were not ready. I'm assuming they are ready now to show. So fairly excited to see this presentation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back