PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was joking. References to self-help relationship advices.

but... PS2?

Is that what those are about?

PS: What's the Haiku situation again?

PSS: Nothing, just wanted 2 PS's in the post.

PSSS: I never see anyone using PS anymore in writing.

PSSSS: Do those self-help relationship advices really help?

The haiku situation remains that someone must prove MS will not prohibit exclusives on scorpio. I should be safe for a while.:runaway:

To a casual customer $100 is a huge difference, and $400 is in line with launch PS4, which is a price we know that millions of people are willing to pay for a great gaming experience.
If someone has already saved up $300 for a ps4 slim saving another $100 for a ps4 neo isn't a huge difference esp if one comes out months after the other.

I'm sure Sony doesn't care since the whole point of Neo is to raise their hardware margins with a higher average sale price. At least the low price point PS4 isn't useless without a $40 accessory like the "Core" 360 was at launch.

If someone has already saved up $300 for a ps4 slim saving another $100 for a ps4 neo isn't a huge difference esp if one comes out months after the other.
You are assuming that the person even cares about the better console.
Also I believe dieh@rd was talking about neo pricing being above $400, which seems to be a price most consumers are not willing to go beyond for a home console.

I'm sure Sony doesn't care since the whole point of Neo is to raise their hardware margins with a higher average sale price.

That would be the point of the Slim, not the Neo.
The point of these mid-gen upgrades is definitely to not let the console market stagnate as much as the last generation did, which resulted in a huge loss of total market (and lots of migration towards the PC).

This argument about console gamer migrating to pc. Does a lot of people really did that?

Btw we don't know the leaked neo clock speed is already overclocked or not. What If that clock is already the max thermal limit, max acoustic allowed, etc.

This argument about console gamer migrating to pc. Does a lot of people really did that?

Btw we don't know the leaked neo clock speed is already overclocked or not. What If that clock is already the max thermal limit, max acoustic allowed, etc.

I had this same thought, its possible but I think we also had gamers invest in other platforms like PS3 or 360 if they started off with the Wii for example. Its also true that phones and tablets absorbed some of the investment in gaming as well.

Speaking anecdotally, I'd say yes. Then there's the fact that the gaming PC market has been growing a lot since 2009, whereas in 2010 the consoles started losing steam rather fast:

Iz85lm4.png

Back in 2011 practically any laptop with a discrete GPU would get you a far more capable gaming machine than any of the 3 consoles. Couple that with much better prices and it's no wonder many people started to prefer playing games on the PC.

Depends on the genre and your definition of AAA. Witcher 3 and GTA V for example have sold just fine on PC. Although some genres sell significantly more on consoles, to the point where publishers don't even bother to port these games to PC, sports games for example.

Last edited:
But nowadays more and more people have shitty laptop or tablet to chase portability and battery life.

I do. And I use my ps4 as "external gaming dock" so to speak. Too bad it have shitty compressed 720p stream limitation.

Back to neo, I wonder, will they upgrade other stuff too? Sure they probably upgrade the wifi to support 5ghz. But how about other stuff like it's daughter CPU? It was supposed to help with rest mode right?

i don't know what they did with PS4 Matte. But it is Hella faster than ps4 glossy in startup, coming in and out of rest mode, menu navigation.

I know because I had two ps4 sitting side by side (launch model glossy and the quieter matte).

Triple A games don't sell as well on PC

While that's true, they do sell a whole lot better now than they did up to ~2011.
Do you have any doubts that, if it was released today, Red Dead Redemption wouldn't release for the PC?

EDIT:

But nowadays more and more people have shitty laptop or tablet to chase portability and battery life.

I do. And I use my ps4 as "external gaming dock" so to speak. Too bad it have shitty compressed 720p stream limitation.

Back to neo, I wonder, will they upgrade other stuff too? Sure they probably upgrade the wifi to support 5ghz.

If the Neo has a Polaris GPU (or at least "GFX8.1" featureset like Polaris and Stoney/Bristol Ridge), then there's a hardware fixed-function 4K HEVC encoder in there.
I get that the original PS4 only streams at 720p because it only has 802.11n 2.4GHz WiFi and I think the feature was originally intended for the Vita and maybe Xperia devices at the time (this was developed during 2010/11 when smartphone flagships were 800*480 or less and tablets were 720p).

But how about other stuff like it's daughter CPU? It was supposed to help with rest mode right?

i don't know what they did with PS4 Matte. But it is Hella faster than ps4 glossy in startup, coming in and out of rest mode, menu navigation.

I know because I had two ps4 sitting side by side (launch model glossy and the quieter matte).

I've never heard of any practical difference between the matter and glossy versions. Perhaps the reason for that is an updated HDD and has nothing to do with the Cortex A5 core?

Regardless, I doubt they would make any substantial upgrade to the Cortex A5. It seems to be very adequate for what it proposes to do. If anything, they'll upgrade to one of the new Cortex A32 because ARM may already have FinFet footprints for it, but don't expect any substantial differences in that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
The haiku situation remains that someone must prove MS will not prohibit exclusives on scorpio. I should be safe for a while.:runaway:

You're thinking about that backwards. It would require an effort on MS's part to *enable* Scorpio-only games, not to prohibit them. They would have to re-design their digital store to allow for segmenting out Scorpio games, which would be fairly trivial to do. They would also, though, have to create new branding for retail games to clearly indicate games that are Scorpio-only (think Kinect's purple markings replacing Xbox green for 360 Kinect titles). This is much less trivial.

So for Scorpio exclusives to happen:

• Some developer/publisher or developers/publishers would have to decide that they could make more money by creating a game that could only run on a subset of the overall XBOne userbase.
  • They would have to then convince MS that it is worthwhile for them to create a Scorpio-only section on their digital store, create new branding for retail, and to risk reversing any goodwill they might have regained with their userbase since the XBone launch fiasco by acting in direct opposition to all of their messaging around the subject up to that point.

While that's true, they do sell a whole lot better now than they did up to ~2011. Do you have any doubts that, if it was released today, Red Dead Redemption wouldn't release for the PC?
I have no doubts about that but I believe that this is more to do with the current commonality of console and PC architectures than anything to do with that PC market. Rockstar's is PC friendly because Rockstar had to get it in good shape for PS4/XBO, had that not happened I'm not convinced the quality of the port would have been much better than GTA IV.

On people moving away from consoles to PC, I guess I did (although I never really left PC).

At some point at the end of the 00's my PC upgrade meant that it would run any console port much better than on my 360. At the same time xbox exclusives died off or were increasingly dull for the most part. Marriage meant access to the TV was mostly ruined. [emoji6]

I think RDR was the last think my 360 was turned on for.

Speaking anecdotally, I'd say yes. Then there's the fact that the gaming PC market has been growing a lot since 2009, whereas in 2010 the consoles started losing steam rather fast:

Iz85lm4.png

Back in 2011 practically any laptop with a discrete GPU would get you a far more capable gaming machine than any of the 3 consoles. Couple that with much better prices and it's no wonder many people started to prefer playing games on the PC.
We need some kind of breakdown about what is bought. The way the graphs are moving dont reveal that console gamers move to PC. It shows mostly that the PC software has grown regardless how the console software sales move.
Steam became so popular and has accumulated so many cheap games over the years that people who dont play much are more likely to find something to play which could even be a simple puzzle or 2D platform game not so different from what is found on a tablet. PCs dont need backwards compatibility like consoles do. So as time passes anyone who joins steam sees a much bigger library available

We need some kind of breakdown about what is bought. The way the graphs are moving dont reveal that console gamers move to PC. It shows mostly that the PC software has grown regardless how the console software sales move.
Yup. I wonder how the PC chart would look if you removed the PC-only indie games, i.e. it was a level playing field in terms of decision over which platform to buy a title for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back