PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the Neo will be stacked Ps4 slims: http://file1.a9vg.com/data/attachment/forum/201609/03/212017zxqytywqq4ytqxy5.jpg

From the number of ports it also looks like it'll have the exact same configuration with the current Ps4 (optical included). And that also means that the separate box included in PSVR isn't actually in the Neo.
In fact this Chinese worker confirmed it is PS4 neo. (So it's not a development kit.)

He heard that the price is around 3000 RMB. (We can expect 399~449 USD. Original PS4 is 2899 RMB/399USD)

He also said Neo has a totally different power port which is several times larger than original PS4. And Neo is 4.5 kg (PS4 is only 2.8 kg).

From the above information, I would expect Neo is a 160~180 W console. So it has a large power port and heavy cooling solution. Neo may also use TSMC 16 nm like Slim model. That means Sony has pushed everything to the limit.

Last edited:
Who says it'll be a year ahead? At this point NEO is just as likely to launch in 2017 as it is in 2016.

In the mean time, some can play the XBox titles on their even higher end PCs which make the NEO pale in comparison. And then when Scorpio is released, it can run the Win10 version of the game which might be even more optimized than the NEO titles.
Neo has entered mass production last month. At least Neo will be released in several important markets this year.

so maybe its just to make sure people use proper power cable for PS4N (it draw lots of power)? Because in other playstations, incuding PS4, i can use any cheap ass generic power cable.

It might just be that a 4.2TF console needs that much power/cooling. We don't really have anything to compare that to. We'll definitely know more in 4 days.

so maybe its just to make sure people use proper power cable for PS4N (it draw lots of power)? Because in other playstations, incuding PS4, i can use any cheap ass generic power cable.
With Neo you can use any generic power PC cable (IEC60320 C13 connector) or PS3 Fat cable. CECHA PS3 was rated 380W. CECHG (without PS2) 280W.
CECHA heatsink was a beast:
7972_large_3000_largezprsr.jpg

$500 with ps4 dropping to $300 as the slim. If the neo is $400 I don't see much reason for the slim to exist

To a casual customer $100 is a huge difference, and $400 is in line with launch PS4, which is a price we know that millions of people are willing to pay for a great gaming experience.

With Neo you can use any generic power PC cable (IEC60320 C13 connector) or PS3 Fat cable. CECHA PS3 was rated 380W. CECHG (without PS2) 280W.
CECHA heatsink was a beast:
7972_large_3000_largezprsr.jpg
Nice, PC power cable should generally be rated for higher load than the usual "8" power cable

To a casual customer $100 is a huge difference, and $400 is in line with launch PS4, which is a price we know that millions of people are willing to pay for a great gaming experience.

If Neo is 400 and PS4 is 300, there is no way IMO sales aren't going to be split at LEAST 80-20 in favor of Neo...

I fact I think it will be fun to watch both MS and Sony as they likely begin to realize, as it comes to pass, nobody will buy the OG XBO/PS4 once Neo/Scorpio are out, regardless of price.

I don't believe that base PS4 will have a compromised experience for a while. All games showcased at Sony E3 2016 keynote looked magnificent on it [except framerate dips in Days Gone, which is still far from release]. God of War and Detroit are even unlocked 30+ fps.

General customers will not choose Neo if PS4 can deliver really solid gaming for a smaller price.

Yeah, like people will buy a 2nd hand console for like 10% off a new price to save a few quid there will always be be that market - I do agree this that the difference is likely £100/$150 tho

If Neo is 400 and PS4 is 300, there is no way IMO sales aren't going to be split at LEAST 80-20 in favor of Neo...
That theory goes very much against how the market has shown to operate. The theory here is consumers who haven't bought a PS4 yet because the price isn't right at $350 will then choose to spend more, $400, when the $300 option becomes available. Is there any precedent for the mainstream having a pretty tight budget (holding out for a particular price for a particular product) extending their budget for a newer, more expensive alternative?

Based on your posting history, that's because you overwhelmingly believe that performance is the driving factor for a console purchase decision despite PlayStation 2 and Wii outselling more powerful hardware.

There will be at least $150 price difference between both machines.

I fact I think it will be fun to watch both MS and Sony as they likely begin to realize, as it comes to pass, nobody will buy the OG XBO/PS4 once Neo/Scorpio are out, regardless of price.
This will only apply to XBO as soon as people realize Scorpio is Microsoft new generation. 4 years is usual for them to start a new gen when they think they are not successful enough. Remember Xbox OG -> Xbox360.

History often helps to better understand the present.

despite PlayStation 2 and Wii outselling more powerful hardware.

To be pedantic, at this point both X360 and PS3 have outsold the Wii. So which hardware are you comparing the Wii Sales numbers to?

I think Sony's more incremental approach will be better for both PS4 orginal and PS4 neo users.

The spec jump from XBO to Scorpio is significant and I feel like the gap to maintain cross compatibility for long will be tough.

I think og xo & ps4 will be fine at right price point.

only problem I see is if people see Scorpio as a next gen machine with full library compatibility.
if history has shown us anything
og Xbox -> 360
it's that people are willing to upgrade to a new gen pretty quickly and be very successful

I think Sony's more incremental approach will be better for both PS4 orginal and PS4 neo users.

The spec jump from XBO to Scorpio is significant and I feel like the gap to maintain cross compatibility for long will be tough.
doesn't seem to be much of a problem for pc's?
why is it harder in a closed box to tweak the games with more/less effects etc? Especially as most games are multi-platform

This will only apply to XBO as soon as people realize Scorpio is Microsoft new generation. 4 years is usual for them to start a new gen when they think they are not successful enough. Remember Xbox OG -> Xbox360.

History often helps to better understand the present.

This is a flawed comparison. The original Xbox designers made the rookie mistake of not properly securing component cost reduction benefits for Xbox in their supplier contracts with Intel and Nvidia (and maybe others as well). This, combined with the inclusion of a hard drive in every box, meant that in order to remain price-competitive with PS2 they had to sell at a significant loss that the royalities from their software sales weren't able to offset. And with the relative lack of software support on Xbox compared to PS2 they were never going to. Because of this it was actually *hurting* their business to sell more Xboxes. They were in an untenable position with no path to profitability. It was this, the opportunity to get a jump on Sony in the next generation *and* the opportunity to leverage a GPU that was more advanced than anything else that was going to be on the market at the time that drove the move to launch the 360 early.

The Xbox One -> Scorpio situation is not comparable. I'm not sure where you came up with the idea that the Scorpio represents a new generation, but if this and "MS execs are lying liars" is your basis for that belief than you are on shaky ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back