PS4 Pro Official Specifications (Codename NEO)

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Clukos, Sep 7, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I wonder if I understood it after reading that Ubisoft's pdf and so on...

- This technique takes 2 x 2 pixels patterns as samples to work with.
    - It is like MSAA x 2.
    - Those two 2x2 patterns are the odd one and the even one, like numbers.
    - Say you have a 4 x 4 chess board (a square);
    odd 2x2 pattern to the left, even 2x2 pattern to the right.
    - They are in solid blocks of 4 (2x2)
    - But, if you split them and you combine them, it's like a checkers game board you get something like this

[​IMG]

The black squares are from different colours in an actual game, not just black.
    - It is much much better than upscaling because it adds geometry to the scene, it just doesn't keep the geometry like upscaling.
    - The PS4 Pro does it in hardware, which makes it even better --Jonathan Blow commented once that it might come at a cost in some titles.

Finally, now that you mention it.. Is this technique available to other apis other than D3D 10 and above?

#301 Cyan, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  2. sebbbi

Veteran

OpenGL ES 3.1 and (Apple) Metal both have the required features for checkerboard implementation. I am not sure whether someone has tried to implement it yet. Most mobile devs are still stuck at OpenGL ES 2.0 (DX9 equivalent).

Most mobile developers don't want to do any post processing (no temporal reprojection), as post processing is very bandwidth intensive at retina resolutions (25.6 GB/s is common memory bandwidth in tablets/phones). For this case there are simpler more efficient alternatives also available.

A good example: http://www.highperformancegraphics....rQuickTalks/HPG2015_coarse_shading_final.pptx.

This particular technique uses 4xMSAA (with custom ordered grid pattern) and renders at 2x2 lower resolution (up to 4x savings in shading cost). The image quality however is nowhere near good checkerboard implementation. MSAA keeps triangle edges sharp, but texturing and shading of surfaces is performed at 2x2 lower resolution. But it is still much better choice than simply doing bilinear/bicubic upsampling.

#302 sebbbi, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    jlippo, Heinrich4, one and 3 others like this.
  3. damienw

Regular

Thanks for the info dump and references, sebbbi! Really appreciate it.

4. I.S.T.

Veteran

What about the Wii U? It's got a DX10.1 GPU in it.

5. sebbbi

Veteran

Is there anybody still doing games for WiiU? :)

Goodtwin, BRiT and damienw like this.
  6. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

By now, the only meaningful thing about the Wii U is that it's a worthless effort to know what it can do because 99% of the people who bought the console are only in it for the 1st-party titles.

7. milk

Veteran Regular

There actually was a game that did interlaced down sampling with temporal reprojection on Wii U. Digital foundry had an article on it.

Cyan, DSoup and sebbbi like this.
  8. sebbbi

Veteran

Goodtwin, milk and DSoup like this.
  9. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

Clukos and goonergaz like this.
  10. goonergaz

Veteran

dang...pressure is on to get an SSD...think I will hold off until DF/someone do some comparisons, ~£200 for a 1TB is a lot of dough just to increase loading speeds

#310 goonergaz, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  11. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Why would you want to increase loading times?

Clukos and Shifty Geezer like this.
  12. Rangers

Legend

I got a 1TB Seagate hybrid for like 70 bucks and put it in an external enclosure (XBO)...

Some tests showed it gaining almost as much as SSD for a fraction the costs, but the drives vs load times testing I've seen seems to vary wildly, so who knows. I think it's safe to say an SSD is better.

13. Gradthrawn

Veteran

Beyond the supported interface and version, I think the larger question is if there's still a soft cap imposed on max throughput. If memory serves me, some discussions on this board hinted that the current soft cap for the base PS4 is far less than even the theoretical max for SATA 2 (3 Gbps, 300 MBps). Around 125 - 150 MBps comes to mind but I could be mistaken. Obviously, this should have no bearing on performance parameters not dependent on throughput (like seek times) but its worth keeping in mind.

14. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

The hybrid drives were probably close to ssd speeds on xbo and ps4 precisely because they use SATA 2. I would imagine if PS4 Pro fully supports SATA 3... SSD drives would pull ahead over a hybrid drive.

goonergaz likes this.
  15. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

Has there been any actual confirmation or even talk from Sony about whether Pro will have removable hard drive? I guess there's no reason to believe it won't..

By the looks of the back of it there does seem to be a removable area here:

[​IMG]

16. goonergaz

Veteran

Yeah, I have a hybrid in my PS4 but and external SSD for my XBO - if Pro takes advantage of the speed then I think I will just have to swallow the pill...seems a shame to have a machine not performing as well as it could.

17. jlippo

Veteran Regular

Thanks for the paper, somehow had missed it.

Nice idea on the paper is the sampling reduction on areas which do not need as much shading. (Motion blur, DoF etc.)
    Could be interesting addition, if one would use 8xMSAA for checkeredboard. (16 sample pattern with temporal.)

18. legendCNCD

Newcomer

19. dobwal

Legend Veteran

So when I run to get a coke out the fridge I don't have to deal with the game loading up while I am away and my unattended character getting cut down in my absence and me sitting there in disgust as my game has to load up a second time.

20. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

Karamazov likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.