PS4 Pro Official Specifications (Codename NEO)

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Clukos, Sep 7, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

EDIT: Agreed, road not taken.

#261 MrFox, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  2. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Power labels seem a bad road to go down.

London-boy and iroboto like this.
  3. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Just based on your article on Anandtech, isn't that the same issue with GM104 cards as well (unless I read it wrong)? Making only GM100 the only one so far that we know of 2:1 for FP16?

4. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Tegra X1 & PowerVR 6X+ series have it too (mobile side).

#264 AlBran, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    iroboto likes this.
  5. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

That's true for GCN3/4, but eurogamer's article clearly claims the Pro's GPU is capable of doing FP16 operations at twice the speed:

If true, what I wonder is why Sony didn't bother to claim 8.2 TFLOPs FP16, or why Cerny didn't mention it during the presentation. It would seem to me like such an important feature to brag about.
    Of course, with the feature being apparently so distant from Liverpool, one has to wonder how much it will be used. I gather there's a large difference in development effort between rendering at a higher resolution + applying checkerboard upscale and choosing + modifying the shaders that can be done using FP16.

6. MrFox

Legend Veteran

If it's a Vega feature, maybe they must wait for AMD to announce Vega officially before they can talk about it.

Intelligent journalists will ask them if it's a custom Sony addition or from Vega, they can't just say "no comment".

... or maybe the dev misspoke and it's not even in the Pro. "as we understand it" is not a 100% convincing comment.

7. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

I'd like to see a direct quote from the developer on there. It's possible for misunderstandings too.

8. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

How can one misunderstand something and write this instead?
    If so, what could have being lost in translation? "2 something instead of one on PS4". Seems pretty straightforward.

9. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Packing two FP16 vs double rate.

Given the discussion over the last page, surely, you'd rather have a direct quote than the interpretative understanding.

Either way, what's the harm in wanting the direct quote?:rolleyes:

#269 AlBran, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    iroboto likes this.
  10. MrFox

Legend Veteran

"as we understand it" means he's not quoting the dev directly, and might be using their own interpretation and speculation (or this would be the first dev to spill this, while all other devs so far respected the NDA until Cerny talks about it). There's been a huge amount of speculation recently about doubled FP16. A lot of people (including myself :oops:) completely misunderstood the supposed FP16 support from polaris.

kalelovil and BRiT like this.
  11. ToTTenTranz

Yup, definitely too early to throw the fireworks on this one.

Could you share exactly when and if/where that can be viewed?

12. MrFox

Legend Veteran

I have no idea! I said this based on Guerilla devs interview two weeks ago: "Mark Cerny has a fantastic seminar planned in a couple of weeks". It's been exactly a couple of weeks (2), so it must be this week.

tuna and ToTTenTranz like this.
  13. ToTTenTranz

Oh.. so it's probably a developers-only thing without press so even if he mentions it, doesn't mean it'll come out to the public.

We'll have to wait until a decent tech journalist gets the opportunity to ask the question directly to someone who knows it for sure, then.

14. MrFox

Legend Veteran

Yeah but that part of the interview was about the usual "sorry we can't talk about it yet". NDA have always been implicitly that devs can only talk about what was already said publicly, so anything Cerny says in that seminar will be public. Hence why he mentioned it, I suppose everyone will then be allowed to talk about this freely.

15. ToTTenTranz

Fingers crossed, then. :wink4:

16. loekf

Regular

Obvious question of course:
    - Mr Cerny.. can you confirm that the PS4 Pro GPU has a peak performance of 8.4 TFflop using FP16 ops ?
    - Mr Cerny... how does this relate to your competitor friends in Redmond who quote 6 TFlops... does this mean we'll get 12 Tflops from them ?
    (assuming you guys use the same secret sauce... ?)

Stupid.. question... if I "massage" my shader code using a mixture of FP16 and FP32.. I can get to 6 TFlops on a PS4 Pro for an optimized game ? So in other words, no loss of IQ ?

Even more stupid question... are we sure Phil Spencer quoted apples and not oranges when he talked about 6 TF ?

17. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Nothing like. Devs will ask what the state with FP16 issue and execution is on PS4P and they'll get a decent answer about when it works, when it doesn't, BW concerns, etc., and no silly 8 'teraflops' marketing figure.

BRiT and RootKit like this.
  18. Pixel

Regular

This isn't as revolutionary as a couple of you guys think. There was a time when all 3dfx accelerator pci cards could only processes fp16.

Here is a comparison of alu possessing and blending color at fp32 (left) vs fp16 (right).
    [​IMG]

When you start using 16 bit precision in various aspects of your visuals you are limited to certain things otherwise you'll end up with visuals reminiscent of early 2000s games. Probably don't want to do too much shading at 16bit precision.

#278 Pixel, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    RootKit likes this.
  19. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

The revolutionary aspect is that GPUs transitioned from 16 bit to 32 bit maths, requiring 32 bit precision which wasn't always needed, but now there's the option to use faster 16 bit precision when possible. That doesn't mean going back to 16 bit render pipelines; just getting some speed ups in some workloads.

20. liolio

liolio Aquoiboniste
    Legend

Is there a compliant logluv /Nao32 type of format that would have the same memory footprint as FP16 and could get decent results?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.