PS3 sales

If that were solely the case then it would follow that MS is making one hell of a margin on the HDDVD add-on. Furthermore, if they were wanting to, they could sell the add-on for less than $100 while still maintaining a very good profit margin.

HP is selling hd-dvd drive upgrades for their laptops for I think only $100 over the base price.

Is it really so hard to understand that for some people it's a favour, and for other it's a huge hassle, having to wait an extra year and shell out an extra $200???

The question is where does the majority lie, personally I would think the majority would rather pay substantially less money, have more games due to a larger install base, and have their PS3's in 2005... just my opinion though.

Again an xtra 200$ is the XBOX prem 399 or 299?i only have the amazon price.

And again, was the Cell and RSX ready 12 months before BluRay?

Food for thought:
If PS3 Japan sales continue this trend, then the Xbox may even increase its lead for a while. It has good sales in the US and Europe, whereas the PS3 seems to downright suffer in Japan at the moment.
Sony's EU launch may set things back to 'normal', but it'd be an absurd and unexpected case nonetheless.

And again, was the Cell and RSX ready 12 months before BluRay?
Its kind of immaterial. The end result is that that there are two competing systems, both vying for the "HD" gaming space and both utilising similar processes for their core components but one was here 12 months before the other.

Its kind of immaterial. The end result is that that there are two competing systems, both vying for the "HD" gaming space and both utilising similar processes for their core components but one was here 12 months before the other.
It's not "immaterial" for first-party softwares, though...

It's not "immaterial" for first-party softwares, though...
Yet Cell based dev kits were delivered before final Xenon, weren't they? (i.e. there were systems much closer to the configuration/characteristics of PS3 before there were 360).

Here is a press release concerning Sonys sales in Australia and New Zeeland, not really PS3 related yet, but since the discussion here pretty much concerns Sonys gaming business I thought I´d post it here. I know that some of you are interested in this kind of information.
Christmas Success Paves the Way for Next Generation PlayStation Launch

SYDNEY, 17 January 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment Australia (SCE Aust.) is well positioned for the March launch of its PLAYSTATION®3 platform following the overwhelming success of its Q4 2006 retail and marketing strategy for its PlayStation®2 and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) platforms, resulting in a 42% share of the total console hardware market for the period. Further, despite the arrival of new next generation home consoles in 2006, the seven year old PlayStation 2 enjoyed 56% of home console hardware sales in the last quarter according to market research group GfK.

Year on year, the home console software market showed marginal growth, however, a standout was PlayStation 2 software sales, which enjoyed growth at twice the rate of the total market. In the last quarter alone, 1.9 million PlayStation 2 software units were sold, accounting for 71% of all home console software units sold during this period. Year on year, total PlayStation 2 software sales grew at a rate of 4.6%.

Out of all the PlayStation 2 software titles sold in the competitive Q4 period, interestingly 72% of these were G or PG rated. This is in-line with the expansion of the games category and, specifically, the popular new genre of 'social' gaming - interactive games that can be enjoyed by all the family. SCE Aust. leads the way in the growth and development of this category, with its popular social gaming franchises including EyeToy®, SingStar® and Buzz!™.

Commenting on a successful Christmas, Michael Ephraim, Managing Director SCE Australia and New Zealand, said “Both our current generation platforms ended the year on a high which will only continue in 2007. With an install base now in excess of 2.2 million units of PlayStation 2, it is very pleasing to see Q4 sales of 1.9 million units of software. This result shows that our substantial range of titles not only appeals to a large number of console owners, but that the first class software available on PlayStation 2 is resulting in a large proportion of consumers purchasing multiple titles.

“The ongoing success of PlayStation 2 clearly demonstrates that the gaming industry is a long haul race, with the platform enjoying a continued lifespan as it matures and broadens its appeal to new audiences. We are committed to maintaining the level of investment and innovation on the platform, with 2007 seeing some fantastic new titles, including the much anticipated sequel to the bestselling God of War, more SingStar® and more Buzz!™.

“The PSP platform also goes from strength to strength as we reap the rewards of our continued investment in software, firmware and peripherals for the portable entertainment device, with consumers appreciating the value and multi-functionality proposition it offers.â€

A recent announcement at the Consumer Electronics Show by Sony Corporation confirmed it had met its forecast of shipping one million PLAYSTATION 3 units to retailers across North America by the end of 2006. This announcement gives a clear signal that production is well on track to meet supply demands for the local launch in March 2007.

Mr Ephraim said, “Our current platforms are clearly driving market growth which is only set to continue in March 2007 when PLAYSTATION 3 arrives in Australia, broadening our offering once again. We will continue to be the only company to truly offer a gaming and entertainment experience for everyone – from hardcore gamers to social gamers to gamers on the go.â€

With the impending arrival of PLAYSTATION 3, the New Year will see SCE Aust. stepping up its marketing and retail activity leading up to the launch of the next generation home console. The first stage is a complete overhaul and relaunch of the PlayStation website (www.playstation.com.au); uniting support, news and the latest product information for all three platforms on a single site. The site gives consumers the first opportunity to get an in-depth look at the PLAYSTATION 3 console, upcoming software titles and features like the PLAYSTATION®Network and PLAYSTATION®Store. With stage one complete; SCE Aust. is set to disclose further details on activity leading up to the hotly anticipated launch in the coming weeks.

· PlayStation 2 install base in Australia as at January 2007: 2.2 million units

· Quoted results are based on sales data provided by market research group GfK Australia

Yet Cell based dev kits were delivered before final Xenon, weren't they? (i.e. there were systems much closer to the configuration/characteristics of PS3 before there were 360).
What I tried to suggest was Cell and RSX which were not ready for mass production in 2005 as -tkf- seems to suggest were necessary components to distinguish PS3 from other consoles as much as Blu-ray. If Motorstorm or new EyeToy games could be realized on other platforms, I'd like to see how. Third-parties tend to ignore these differentiating points for the PS3 because they have to recover higher development cost with minimum investment while they can make games customized for the cheaper Wii development. So for PS3 this task is entirely on first-party devs, but it's been only 2 months since the launch and not much is shown yet.

If Motorstorm or new EyeToy games could be realized on other platforms, I'd like to see how.

Sprite based grass and physics middleware are waving at you one. Along with CMR:DIRT and Sega Rally Revo.

As for other rally games, do they have this?

Could you be more specific?

If you are talking about the "deformed" terrain, then yes, Sega Rally Revo specifically mentioned this back at E3 2006. And it is a PC/PS3/360 game.

Just so I understand you, when you said, "If Motorstorm or new EyeToy games could be realized on other platforms, I'd like to see how" you were indicating the belief that Motorstorm could not be done on other platforms?

If you are talking about the "deformed" terrain, then yes, Sega Rally Revo specifically mentioned this back at E3 2006. And it is a PC/PS3/360 game.
I don't expect in Sega rally deformed terrain coexists with all the physics aspects of Motorstorm. Do you?
Just so I understand you, when you said, "If Motorstorm or new EyeToy games could be realized on other platforms, I'd like to see how" you were indicating the belief that Motorstorm could not be done on other platforms?
PS2 has physics middleware too, and what you see on PS2 and PS3 differ. Isn't it very simple? The same applies to Eyetoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you're saying other consoles are incapable of using the same software techniques?
It's a matter of degree for physics effects. I don't know if other consoles are incapable or not. In fact I've not seen how Sega Rally on Xbox 360 is like so can't know if what Joshua Luna implies is correct or not as of now.

But that's the point because I wrote "differentiating point" in my previous post. Those differentiating factors in games don't have to be cutting edge forever. Since this is the PS3 sales thread, what's important for most consumers when they figure out which console to buy is what they can see in current games. It's true some users buy consoles just because of potential, but even they watch current games and imagine what may be possible for this platform in future by extrapolation. Now if you look at Xbox 360 which is out for a year, a game that uses physics effects as much as Motorstorm is not yet seen AFAIK. It may change sometime in future, but I don't know how long it takes. If I follow the original comment by Dave,
it's kind of immaterial that a game that comes 6 months later has same software techniques. The end result is decided by how these platforms have a unique game in a specific time frame.

I would say it is more any body but sony for me. Sony needs to pay for forcing blue ray down gamers throats to win a movie format war I could careless about. If sony would of launched last year with a DVD drive at 299/399 price point they would be slaughtering everyone.

This is where we disagree very strongly. I think Sony deserves credit for taking a chance, and again making a state of the art machine that could last for a long time. They also could have taken a much less exciting approach and just capitalise on the brand name. The price of Blu-Ray components will go down soon enough, and then we'll have a console which has Blu-Ray, a HDD standard, the Cell Processor, motion sensing and decent online. By the time the PS3 hits the same pricerange as the Wii, the PS3 will have the benefit of a few years extra worth of games and developer research, and should produce some great games for a great price.

Lets not forget the Wii hype in north america did not really start till E3 2006 when sony dropped the price bomb on the world. The Wii became 1000x more attractive when people found out it costs 1/2 the price of a PS3.

I think you're wrong, actually. It was the extremely slick E3 presentation of Nintendo that did most of the work there. Even if Sony had had a great presentation as well (which they didn't - it would have been more suitable on a GDC, whereas Nintendo's presentation was very clearly consumer oriented), they wouldn't have been able to steal all of Nintendo's thunder anyway, because clearly Nintendo had their act together and a polished machine (no, I mean the wii-mote ;) ) as well as software on display.

If you are the average person who does not yet have a HD tv I can easily see where they think the Wiis graphics are just fine especially for the price. I think it is silly for anyone to spend 500 dollars on a PS3 or Xbox360 if they are not going to have a HD-tv in the near future.

Which would be fine

I would say judging by software sales the DSL is the solution the hand held gaming.

Yes, but you could also argue that it's games are much less value for money, because apparently you have to keep buying one game a month to not get bored with the system. ;)

More seriously, while the DSL is a great product, particularly in combination with Nintendo's own software, you also have to give some of the credit to the fact that handheld gaming and Nintendo have been synonymous for at least 10 years. Consider that in the home console space, Nintendo went from 90%, to 60%, to 30%. Some people seem to think that the first playstation beat Nintendo in one generation, where it was quite clearly two.

I have no idea why a gamer would be upset by any of this. This kind of trend could force sony to drastically cut the price of the PS3 this year that is a good thing for gamers. I would also say sony getting a large humble pie is a good thing. If this keeps up you can bet they won't make the same stupid arogant mistakes with the PS4. The more sony stuggles the better for now it will just force them to try twice as hard to get the gamers back on thier side that is a good thing.

The biggest mistake they made for the PS3 was not picking up on the importance of software soon enough, especially for online and for motion sensing support. Mercury and Loco Roco should have been out with sixaxis support from day one, and Virtua Tennis should have online support on day one - in other words, the online libraries should have been finished and ready with the buddy list support and all that in place. They have been too slow in these decisions. But they know it, and I think things are going to get better.

I also hope they are going to get better. Because I personally have been very happy with the fact that my last two consoles have consistently put out great games for each 5 years that they have lasted. And hardware wise, the PS3 certainly tickles my fancy best.

Sprite based grass and physics middleware are waving at you one. Along with CMR:DIRT and Sega Rally Revo.

...and insufficient performance is waving back at you.

I think it's clear that especialy when raw processing power in the physics department is required, there is nothing that comes close to the PS3 performance. Just head over to the CELL performance thread. The PPE (which is almost identcial to a Xenon core, except for cache) mostly doesn't come close to the performance of a single SPU with heavy FP lifting.

Everything can be done on any console. The question is just at what cost and performance. And ive yet to see any 360 game with as interactive environment as in MS.

Back