[PS3] New Lair screenshot

ROG27 said:
What the heck is the deal with the weird floating islands held up with what looks to be giant spines?

Floating islands are par for the course in any number of games. I wouldn't be surprised if the chains were actully tethering the islands 'down,' so to speak. Though it does appear that they may be held up due to the rigidity of the 'spines.'

ROG27 said:
What the heck is the deal with the weird floating islands held up with what looks to be giant spines?

There's something very cool, to me anyway, about floating islands in games with air warfare. Doesnt warhawk have them as well?

OT:

Special thanks to the person who thought my post here was worthy of a negative rep:

expletive said:
I posted this in another thread but it seems like this screen may be sort of a cutscene while you are making strategic moves with the dpad, though not directly controlling anything. Great shots though, regardless of when or where it is. Id love to see what it looks like when youre controlling a dragon, if it looks like this, should be great.

And, as is par for the course, didnt sign their name. :rolleyes:

Has it been suggested yet that the commands in the upper left are not for you but possibly other dragons in your squad? This is how things worked in Factor 5's GCN games.

If somebody already said that my bad.

expletive said:
There's something very cool, to me anyway, about floating islands in games with air warfare. Doesnt warhawk have them as well?

Don't think so, Warhawk isn't quite so fantasy-based.

scificube said:
Has it been suggested yet that the commands in the upper left are not for you but possibly other dragons in your squad? This is how things worked in Factor 5's GCN games.

Not sure if it has, but yes, that makes sense. It's kind of eerie how similar that mechanic appears to be compared to what they've done before. I wonder how many you'll be able to control..

A scenario of humans taming dragons to unleash upon another as weapons of war could be mighty cool. I'm very glad they've introduced humans into the mix.

Titanio said:
Don't think so, Warhawk isn't quite so fantasy-based.

Ah, it must have been a giant capitol ship i mistook for a floating island. Its been awhile since i saw a screenshot of it.

It'll actually be interesting to see how this and Warhawk are positioned beside one another, at launch. It's probably too early to tell since we know very little about either, but at face value that both seem like aerial combat games, but obviously with very different scenarios. Warhawk might also have first-person bits as rumoured, but then Lair could have on-foot bits too. I guess E3 will reveal all..

Titanio said:
It'll actually be interesting to see how this and Warhawk are positioned beside one another, at launch. It's probably too early to tell since we know very little about either, but at face value that both seem like aerial combat games, but obviously with very different scenarios. Warhawk might also have first-person bits as rumoured, but then Lair could have on-foot bits too. I guess E3 will reveal all..

Do you mean youll be able to get out of your ship and go FPS on some levels?

expletive said:
Do you mean youll be able to get out of your ship and go FPS on some levels?

Only rumoured, by IGN, some time ago. The E3 trailer showed on-foot cinematics, but obviously that didn't make it clear if any such sections would be first or third person - if such sections exist at all.

Titanio said:
Only rumoured, by IGN, some time ago. The E3 trailer showed on-foot cinematics, but obviously that didn't make it clear if any such sections would be first or third person - if such sections exist at all.

That would be great, no one has implemented that concept well since, relatively speaking, infiltrator 2 on the Commodore 64. Though i could just be nostalgic... :)

Titanio said:
DA scenario of humans taming dragons to unleash upon another as weapons of war could be mighty cool. I'm very glad they've introduced humans into the mix.

I think it would be cool too. I hope they evolve the idea a little so that I can manage to send dragons at multiple targets. I'd get a real blast out raining fire down all over a town. Fireballs, strafing runs, physically tearing stuff apart...and if they go all out with different dragon types like frost dragons, fire dragons etc....just imagining what that would like is tripping me out!

edit:

I hope they bring back the rain effects but just make the specular look right. It can be done and if anyone can do I'm sure Factor 5 can. Those raindrops were too cool to let go.

Last edited by a moderator:
scificube said:
I hope they bring back the rain effects but just make the specular look right. It can be done and if anyone can do I'm sure Factor 5 can. Those raindrops were too cool to let go.

I don't think there's anything to suggest they've gone :) You'd need a closer shot to see that, I think, unless you see water falling off the wings when 'flapping' (which would be sweet!) :p

Titanio said:
I don't think there's anything to suggest they've gone :) You'd need a closer shot to see that, I think, unless you see water falling off the wings when 'flapping' (which would be sweet!) :p

I hope you're right and I agree that WOULD be sweet!

The model looks excellent, but the angle of the picture makes it difficult to really appreciate (or not) whats going on. I think animation will kick this up a notch, the position that dragon in is interesting...can't wait.

Griffith said:
seems realtime to me
but it's full of jagges, maybe they use hdr fp
It has jaggies, but very little compared to current next-gen titles. What are you making comparisons based on, sheesh.

God damn Impressive.

The model doesnt look just normal mapped but modeled with a high number of polygons :D

What dissapointed me so far from other PC next gen or 360 titles is the too much emphasis on normal mapping on low polygon models instead of high modeled polygon models with normal mapping only where is needed.

The skin looks realistic as if its elastic too.

I am curious to see how the skin animation is now. Remember how its muscles and skin stretched in the old movie?

msia2k75 said:
That's a freaking lot of money for one single game!! I imagine Sony is spending a lot of cash on their big title right now. Yikes! That's a bit scaring.

Seems about par for the course on the big budget 1st party titles. MS was rumoured to be spending ~20mil each on BlueDragon & Lost Odyssey and another 10mil on Cry-On. The SK knights trilogy was referenced as costing ~80million.

Seems 20-30million is what we can expect for these huge 1st/2nd party titles.

To make money, they would have to sell over a million at $50 US, and it's not going to happen for all of those titles.

What the next generation going to be like? $50 million a title?

Something is going to break, as this certainly cannot be sustained.

No wonder prices have increased this generation.

I'd imagine all those games will probably sell a million. Hype is a powerful thing. Also, doesn't it just take one multi-million seller to make up for 3 or 4 games that didn't quite break even?

If they can create these types of system sellers, and break even in the process, that's probably a win. Do hardware manufacturers really make a signifigant portion of revenues from game sales on 1st part titles? I'd imagine they make the most money on royalties, which means growing the install base is more important than making a profit on every 1st/2nd party title.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't seem to recall what was so bad about the original Lair screenshots? I thought they were amazing by themselves :oops:

A $20M budget is alot, twice that of some marked-as-potential-AAA games (Gears of War is $10M). Sony is throwing a lot of money around, $20M here, $30M for LA Noire, Ninja Theory and Guerrilla are now huge studios by all accounts...and these are just second-tier (in the PlayStation family) developers. Imagine what GT5 is gettting, or Naughty Dog :eek:

scooby_dooby said:
The SK knights trilogy was referenced as costing ~80million.
Nah that was just a GameSpy editor commenting on next-gen games in general.

scooby_dooby said:
Do hardware manufacturers really make a signifigant portion of revenues from game sales on 1st part titles?
Yeah they do, thats $30-50/sale depending on title, retail price next-gen. Nintendo wouldn't be in the business if this wasn't so.

Back