[PS3] New Lair screenshot

While the assets look pretty cool, the lighting isn't as good, the image is far too dark and the colors are strange. I assume it's using HDR and hasn't been tuned yet.

Budgets are scary though!

Specular highlights are calculated within the shader, so the added cost is a few more pixel shader instructions. The scalar maps are usually combined with other maps, ie. embedded into the alpha or one of the RGB channels of a texture that would control other attributes as well. Some actual coders could give more details here... but all in all, the size and strength of a highlight should not have any effect on the rendering speed...

hey69 said:
the resolution is 960x540 is this a 1080i game or am I miscalculating things .. :cool:

Umm, yes you are. 1080i is 1920x1080 resolution with interlaced scan where each field is 1920x540.

I'm glad they got rid of the shiny look, from previous shots, as it was mentioned, most people don't like that, as it's not realistic.

They are really teasing on this one, as they have shown very little besides the dragons. Nice to finally see someone mounted. I'm sure riding the dragons in the game will be a lot of fun, and I remember a flat shaded 3D game from the early nineties that allowed that, and it was awesome.

Sky does not look very good, and hope they improve on that. Looks too bland.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love how people over analyze the hell out any screen shot on any platform like you would even notice this small details when the game is moving. When I play CS Source I'm aiming at somebodies head and shoot them i'm not looking to see if there is a perfect freaking shadow as his ragdoll body falls and notice it when there isn't. Screenshots ARE not the same as a game moving. When I pause Ovlivion the game usually doesn't look to hot but moving the game is great.

Edge said:
Sky does not look very good, and hope they improve on that. Looks too bland.

I'm sure there has to be more atmospherics, if a significant proportion of the game is in-flight. At the time, Rogue Leader's clouds and stuff in some levels was quite nice, so I'm sure we'll see something nice in this regard.

That shot is from a Factor 5 Powerpoint presentation, which you can grab here:
https://www.cmpevents.com/sessions/GD/S1609i1.ppt

$25 million dollars for this game!!! I hope Sony gets their monies worth out of it. It would have to sell over a million copies for them to make their money back. $25 million for a game is nuts. The presentation says they got three games in the pipeline using the core engine/tools.

Note, in the Powerpoint presentation, you can move the Dragon/Rider picture, and this shows up:

1143472339_0.jpg

Weird! Placeholder?

I think that pic was there to compare this gen graphics complexity (although that pic is not from any real game AFAIK) to the Lair dragon image.

People are saying it's from a game called Rebel Strike, just to get that out there.

I'm not familiar with that title, so I have no idea myself.

Edge said:
Note, in the Powerpoint presentation, you can move the Dragon/Rider picture, and this shows up:

1143472339_0.jpg

Weird! Placeholder?

if you ran the slideshow you'd see that they were comparing and contrasting two art assets(The second one obviously being the better one. ;)), the main reason why production costs for games are ever increasing (theme of the talk).

They were explaining one of the reasons for spiralling budgets - going from that level, to that of the next pic which is where they are today.

It appears that if you play the presentation in slideshow format, that underlying picture is suppose to represent current generation, as a comparison in the art assets difference regarding cost.

Edit, I see you guys already posted the explaination behind that pic. Thanks.

scooby_dooby said:
Looks hot, I wonder where this is taken from, I've always expected the gameplay to be a behind the dragon POV, panzer dragoon style.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's in-game with the camera turned around, and the cammands in the top-left are simply for your 'squad'

I love what they did with the leather straps, they don't look normal mapped at all.

In many flight/car games, you can press a button on the controller that allows you to see behind your plane/car. I believe that's exactly what is going on here, so as to illustrate the model from the front end.

ROG27 said:
In many flight/car games, you can press a button on the controller that allows you to see behind your plane/car. I believe that's exactly what is going on here, so as to illustrate the model from the front end.

I was thinking of a controllable 3rd person camera, rotated around to the front. But it could be an alternate fixed camera angle as well.

Back