[PS3] LittleBigPlanet Impressions

I think it will break the game if they allow complete freedom in in-situ creation. The level designer may need to constraint the available options somehow.
Then design a different game! The idea of using a local currency to pay for building provides the limiting factor. If each square of material, each gadget, costs so much, you provide a limitation whereby players need to harvest enough material to build solutions to progress, creating a varation on the core game mechanic from 'get points' which doesn't matter to many of us, to 'progress', while also allowing for lateral thinking to solve problems with fewer resources if someone can think one up.

*nod* *nod*

The thing is I can't decide whether this is an editor problem or the user level problem. Turning it on by default will break levels unintentionally. Making the editor/level creation process fun is one way to go. Doing a constrainted editing in user level is another way. I suspect there are other routes too.

A lot of folks are excited for this over at my site, lol. I managed to snaggle some PotC DLC, now I just have to figure out what I want people to create so I can give it away...any ideas B3D? I was thinking maybe Costume Contest, it's quick and easy and won't require people to spend countless hours tinkering with mechanics.

Man...I'm so pumped for LBP2...I really REALLY hope it gets a release this year.

The thing is I can't decide whether this is an editor problem or the user level problem. Turning it on by default will break levels unintentionally.
You'd have it as an option in user created content. Could even set up creation zones, places where your SB has to be to open a build menu. Don't put in any 'sponge currency' and you lock out construction even if it is default. Whatever design problems are faced, they are more worth solving than giving up on the idea!

You'd have it as an option in user created content. Could even set up creation zones, places where your SB has to be to open a build menu. Don't put in any 'sponge currency' and you lock out construction even if it is default. Whatever design problems are faced, they are more worth solving than giving up on the idea!

If you open a creation zone like that, I can always build a path directly to the end terminal. :devilish:

May be limiting them to stay on the ground (while editing) will help.

I agree it's a cool concept. Kinda like Scribblenauts but more open ended.

EDIT: Heck, even the separate editor idea needs some constraints if you can create any game type. e.g., Can you add water freely to all game types ? Speed boating ? Really ? Can you do it now with the current LBP ?

If you open a creation zone like that, I can always build a path directly to the end terminal. :devilish:
I'm thinking more design a zone in which items can be placed, maybe cannot extend beyond. And still, if you limit the amount of building they can do, you can prevent that. Taking your example, let's say it's 1 unit of Fluff per small cube of material, and 10 fluff for a widget. You could be faced with a chasm and have a budget of 50 fluff, not enough to cross it, certainly not enough to build a bridge to the end, but enough to build a catapult.

Yes, budgeting and preventing them from tearing down existing objects to expand their budget would help.

The thing I was grappling with is: Is allowing me to build a path to the end terminal a bad thing ? It's a game. I can do it to every level and still have fun. It's the essence of community/user generated content; no designers would make a game like this for me.

With a full blown editor like LBP2, and a test level like Command & Conquer, I think the PS Move controller will be featured heavily in this game (bundled ? ^_^)

Then design a different game! The idea of using a local currency to pay for building provides the limiting factor. If each square of material, each gadget, costs so much, you provide a limitation whereby players need to harvest enough material to build solutions to progress, creating a varation on the core game mechanic from 'get points' which doesn't matter to many of us, to 'progress', while also allowing for lateral thinking to solve problems with fewer resources if someone can think one up.

There's the strong possibility that they tried to build a game around that mechanic and couldn't find a proper hook.

Something that's still MIA is the Internet integration and publishing. MM said they were experimenting with it months/years ago but no news so far.

Has this been done yet ?
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174332

According to Evans, the service will provide each created level in the game with a custom URL that players can send to friends or even advertise online -- opening up new, direct ways to publicize original stages. Evans explains, "Rather than going on forums and saying, 'Please search for my level,' you can just say, 'Here's a link.'" When other users go to that page's link, they'll be given the option to queue the download of the LBP level, which will appear in the game the next time they turn on their PlayStation 3.

In addition to things like leaderboards, photos, and comments, the portal will also offer an application programming interface (API), which can be used to create custom LBP-related applications. Evans cites examples of other APIs for websites like Flickr and Google Maps, and says it will be possible to use the LBP API to create a Google Maps page that details the locations of levels on Craft Earth. Evans says the portal and API are currently being beta tested, with a launch coming "as soon as possible."

Cool. Lemmings! Actually bots were really expensive in LBP. Hope they can improve this. Also hope they have MLAA as IQ in LBP wasn't up to par with the lighting and shading. Also if they are allowing user's own audio, will they be allowing user's own image importing? That's a huge feature.

Here's what Edge says about LBP2:
http://www.littlebigland.com/little-big-planet-ps3/all-details-about-lbp2-from-edge-summed-up/

Changes:

Huge visual upgrade

* Colour filters for certain areas, e.g. x-ray

* Instead of sliders in lighting and sound menus, they have percentages

* Cutscene cameras are now white… (Seen in a screenshot)

* You can place decorations and stickers on your planet

New features:

* Bounce Pads

* New hazard: Laser

* You can make Sackbots harmful (electrify, fire etc.)

* You can grapple Sackbots

* It is possible to record something and apply it to a sackbot

* If you program a sackbot to follow you, and then jump into a vehicle, the sackbot will catch up and jump in with you.

* You can use direct control seats with Sackbots

* Direct control does control momentum, so no unwanted shooting up into the air

* You can program sackbots to hang off things

* Level Linking ‘Badges’
“Place the new level-linking ‘badge’ in your level and you can seamlessly transport players to another. Useful for building multi-level games as well as for collector types to create level hubs for great levels that they’ve found”

* Photos on lbp.me will be the ones posted on the level itself

* Usernames on lbp.me will be PSN names

* There will be a facebook-style ’stream’ (possibly lbp.me) which will show highscores, hearted levels etc for each player

New tools:

Grappling Hook

Microchips

Back