PS3 launch in Japan

EDIT: IMO, this ridiculous situation of such small numbers being launched (thus creating the auction market) really needs to be stopped, by being companies only putting out when they have numbers of units big enough that its not possible to make such auctionings a reality. For example there could be some sort of trading rule that calculates per country, the minimum number of units that must be allocated before a launch can take place? Then with enough units, the problem would be dramatically reduced?
I can honestly only see two ways of fixing this for 'next gen' type hardware such as the PS3: stockpile for months and months and months or consumers attain patience and wait for the product to become naturally available.

If we take out the 'next gen' qualifier, then we can also suggest that next gen consoles not use cutting edge components, thus increasing production capacity with well-understood components.

I can honestly only see two ways of fixing this for 'next gen' type hardware such as the PS3: stockpile for months and months and months or consumers attain patience and wait for the product to become naturally available.

If we take out the 'next gen' qualifier, then we can also suggest that next gen consoles not use cutting edge components, thus increasing production capacity with well-understood components.

i dont think blame lies on the components so much as the aggresive schedule. The PS3 is literally going from production to launch in what, 3 months 4? Judging by the last hoorah with the 20gb HDMI output change of heart sony had they certainly havent been stockpiling. Its not exactly a shocker they'd have demand problems. Theres only so much production that can be done in a few months time.

Maybe everyone should pay a little more attention to the reality of the launch schedules they try to meet. Just so its clear, that certainly includes microsoft and nintendo. Going off the past and the current launch they seem to think its a smart idea to just begin to stock units when their production is most limited and their projected demand will be at its highest. That SCREAMS stupidity. Now had they started planning and actual production of boxed units 4-6 months ago, i'm sure the situation would be improved greatly. I'm sure they'll have a better season for the 2008 holidays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funniest? I would say the opposite.
Though the subject of that article is not funny, I found it funny that the sender of the report email at Kotaku writes some erroneous things.
For one, read this line
Kotaku said:
Rather, opportunistic Japanese businessmen have the largest presence, hiring poor Chinese men and women to wait in line for a PS3, one which will later be sold on web auctions to wealthy gamers around the world for exorbitant amounts of money.
This line is funny, because there's no reason why Japanese businessmen hire Chinese who don't speak Japanese. Japanese would hire homeless people. Do you know where Lik-sang (based in China) was getting their supplies for these shiny units? Japanese scalpers do their own thing, Chinese do too by themselves. Also this line is laughable,
Kotaku said:
As a fellow foreigner studying in Japan, I can tell you the hardships that many of us face everyday. The intent of this story is not to point fingers at hard-working Chinese nationals. Rather, I think this subject needs to be brought to light. This is the truth that no Japanese media wants to touch.
It already becomes an issue and there is an article on the biggest Japanese newspaper about Chinese buyer's networks, with SCE's comment.
http://www.asahi.com/business/update/1112/001.html

One, I wouldn't worry too much about Kotaku. The man is clearly just pissed off that as a gaikokujin, he's being discriminated against. Never mind the fact that he can leave whenever he wants, and the fact that he doesn't means he loves Japan more than he hates it. Which I assume is true for most gaijin.

what the hell hare gaijin ? second class japanese? chinese living in japan?

Gaijin is the short form of Gaikokujin which basically means foreigner. Gaijin is somewhat "discriminative" , though, as the kanji mean (outside person).

EDIT: IMO, this ridiculous situation of such small numbers being launched (thus creating the auction market) really needs to be stopped, by being companies only putting out when they have numbers of units big enough that its not possible to make such auctionings a reality.

Don't really think Sony have a choice. Sony already delayed once, a second 6 month delay would have a series of bad consequences:

1. MS entrenching their position as market leader.
2. Dissent among developers/publishers. Expecting a revenue stream and then be told to wait for 6 month without income.. All the while the competing console builds up a massive lead. -> massive defection to MS.
3. Executive heads would roll at Sony.

I'll grant you that delaying six months and then launching with only 500,000 units is a complete execution fiasco especially compared to Microsoft's launch which was on time and with more than 3 times as many units (and everybody was on MS tits for launching with only 1.8 million units).

Cheers

One, I wouldn't worry too much about Kotaku. The man is clearly just pissed off that as a gaikokujin, he's being discriminated against. Never mind the fact that he can leave whenever he wants, and the fact that he doesn't means he loves Japan more than he hates it. Which I assume is true for most gaijin.
I see, but I just had a chuckle when the foreigner student in Japan started his morale talk at Kotaku for his supposed comrades when Chinese guys were just doing their business and enjoying the business chance! ;)

This is another TV news show that reports about scalpers. An anonymous Chinese student in Japan appears in the interview and he says he was asked by Chinese brokers to buy a PS3 to sell it in Hong Kong and Taiwan. They asked Chinese brokers for a comment and they admitted they used Chinese students for reselling. You see a Chinese auction website at the end of this footage.
http://www.fnn-news.com/windowsmedia/sn2006111334_300.asx

It's offtopic but the network of Chinese people is very strong. There was an incident that a Chinese student in Japan set up a proxy for his fellow RMT (real money trade) sellers in China to exploit FF11 servers. Then they put what they got on net auctions.

Back