[PS3] Killzone 2

Hear, hear

I wouldn't mind if the aiming/turning speed was 'slow', it's the acceleration that makes precise aiming a bitch. Especially since the enemies never sit still and can shrug off quite a few shots.

As I mentioned before, if these kind of controls shipped with a less prominent game, I doubt they would have been so well received.

People liked the whole package. If PDZ were able to deliver similar experiences, you should see people defending the game too.

And it's not just COD4/Halo controls, it's different to basically every other console FPS on the market. I have downloaded plenty of FPS/TPS demo's on the PS3 and all of them follow a similar 'acceleration' free control scheme.
(and the lock on system in COD4 was for newbs, the first thing I did was disable it, it's an assist and it's not available in MP either)

The thing is one of the fundamentals of good gameplay is having good controls, you just need to look at CoD, Halo, Uncharted, Gears, Geometry Wars, Ninja Gaiden to see how much the controls contribute to the gameplay.

Controls is important. That's why GG's still looking at the complains instead of writing it off totally. However this does not mean that the rest of the folks cannot enjoy the game though (Yes, they may also rave about it or hate it, but that's their opinion).

I though that was a bit strange, as the only other console game I've had crash was Oblivion.

You're lucky ! I remember Assassin's Creed and Halo 2 well (The latter also had issues like falling through floor, game saved at the wrong time in co-op resulting in endless death for both of us).

People liked the whole package. If PDZ were able to deliver similar experiences, you should see people defending the game too.

You're lucky ! I remember Assassin's Creed and Halo 2 well (The latter also had issues like falling through floor, game saved at the wrong time in co-op resulting in endless death for both of us).

That's my point because KZ2 is flagship PS3 title, people are willing to accept controls, that would've elicted a much harsher response had they featured in a less anticipated shooter.

I've never had such problems with Halo 2 on Xbox apart from occasional texture pop in and loading lag. Are you playing it emulated on 360?

People are talking about the controls as an obstacle in this game but I feel the team mate AI is the biggest problem.
I've died at many section because I'm having to babysit my dying partner after he rushes into the battle.
"Sev get to cover!"
"Take your own advice FOOL!"

As I mentioned before, if these kind of controls shipped with a less prominent game, I doubt they would have been so well received.

I remember Army of Two having similar style aiming to KZ2, but then again it's not a high profile PS3 game, so less drama. The support/backlash goes both ways.

The thing is one of the fundamentals of good gameplay is having good controls, you just need to look at CoD, Halo, Uncharted, Gears, Geometry Wars, Ninja Gaiden to see how much the controls contribute to the gameplay.

You played the KZ2 demo correct?

That's my point because KZ2 is flagship PS3 title, people are willing to accept controls, that would've elicted a much harsher response had they featured in a less anticipated shooter.

Huh ? KZ2 is KZ2 primarily because of its quality. Lair tanked despite being a flagship title. If PDZ or Army of Two had similar quality to KZ2, you should see people crowd around the title too. Before its release, many people still doubt whether GG can deliver a good FPS.

I've never had such problems with Halo 2 on Xbox apart from occasional texture pop in and loading lag. Are you playing it emulated on 360?

Nope. Halo 2 was just not as polished (as say, Halo 1). You should be able to find complains in the Halo 2 GAF thread. Don't want to derail this one. I posted my view once or twice there but didn't really repeat like some of you now. :D

People are talking about the controls as an obstacle in this game but I feel the team mate AI is the biggest problem.
I've died at many section because I'm having to babysit my dying partner after he rushes into the battle.
"Sev get to cover!"

Ha ha ! I usually ignore the partner unless I need him to distract the Helghasts.

"Sev get to cover!"

Your partner dies? Mine gets back on his feet as if nothing happened even if he I dont revive him.

Ok, I have played SP until the second checkpoint in the palace. I cannot recommend Veteran difficulty in good heart for first run and shame on whomever recommended me. :|

Until the desert section the game was OKish, for some reason, it picked up later on. Maybe it took that much for me to get comfortable with controls, not sure. I still don't like the controls, but there is a certain hardcore feeling to them, which is nice. (Also whoever thinks CoD4 like controls wouldn't make this game easier, please get real). Anyway, I'm not gonna write much, but I have to say, the section people seem to hate, namely the assault on Visari Palace, especially the last part, is one of the best FPS sections I have ever played. People loath infinite respawns, but there is no other way to present an assault in warzone against impossible odds theme that good. You move inch by inch, cover to cover, and see Helghast retreating appropriately. Incidentally this is nothing like CoD4 or CoD5's approach (for people who don't know WaW has conceptually similar assault section in Berlin). Which reminds me, I fully expect CoD4-II or next Treyarch to have first person cover system.

Also assault rifles in KZ2 suck so bad. Both SMGs and LMGs are better than assault rifles for all ranges. I cannot help but wonder the reasoning behind that. Flamethrower (since it was mentioned here recently) was OK at best, but still worse than Treyarch's slightly more arcadey implementation.

Unfortunately CoD5, similar to KZ2, thought it's a good idea to give players god weapons, only to take it away later. Genius.

Oh, and lack of humor and any significant story is really puzzling considering the original game had both.

I also played a little of MP. The online setup is obviously no where near the the quality of that other PS3 game, save for the clan support, but it doesn't seem that bad either. Net code seems to be better than CoD4's, at least regarding to client kills, and autobalancing is pretty decent. Lack of a real party system also has some obvious advantages in that regard. Plus it may promote clans to the extend that KZ2 may become the MP game for clan matches.

In fact, MP feels so hardcore that I will be surprised if it takes away significant portion of players from other popular shooters. It will still have strong following, no doubt, though.

Huh ? KZ2 is KZ2 primarily because of its quality. Lair tanked despite being a flagship title. If PDZ or Army of Two had similar quality to KZ2, you should see people crowd around the title too. Before its release, many people still doubt whether GG can deliver a good FPS.

The Truth ! Killzone 2 is standing coz its a very powerful package and has the punch to take u through a ride ! Its a well spent 60$, something one should not miss. Had the actual game been bad, it would have just tanked, flagship or no flagship.

The game is solid, and the controls complaints do not bother everybody, especially people who are more relaxed about their game, which are many.

Your partner dies? Mine gets back on his feet as if nothing happened even if he I dont revive him.

Yeah, most of the time you can just ignore them. Their only real use is as bullet sponges... they're not even particularly useful at watching your back.

OMG I had no idea. My partner has never died because I've always rushed to his aid to revive him and many times it meant I ended getting killed. I thought that if I let my partner die it would be game over like in some games. I thought that timer countdown was the amount of time he had left before he dies.
This changes everything. :LOL:

OMG I had no idea. My partner has never died because I've always rushed to his aid to revive him and many times it meant I ended getting killed. I thought that if I let my partner die it would be game over like in some games. I thought that timer countdown was the amount of time he had left before he dies.
This changes everything. :LOL:
Is that dependant on the level of difficulty?
I chose to play the first playthrough at the easiest setting, and my partner doesn't seem to die even if I don't go and heal him, often he gets back up soon by himself. Also I haven't noticed any time counter, just the distance counter.

Is that dependant on the level of difficulty?
I chose to play the first playthrough at the easiest setting, and my partner doesn't seem to die even if I don't go and heal him, often he gets back up soon by himself. Also I haven't noticed any time counter, just the distance counter.

Ok so I guess I got the whole partner down thing wrong. Now you're telling me the value in white text retaled to your downed partner is not a timer but a distance indicator? I thought it was the amount of time he had until he died. :oops: :LOL: The game is pretty hectic I never really paid much attention.
So why would they even indicate anything about your partner down if it really has no impact on your game in the end? I just assumed if they went to the trouble to indicate something it wouldn't be for no reason.
Meh maybe there is a Trophy for reviving. Who knows, or maybe it has something to do with the MP game.

So... there's an odd development of 160+ replies going on in the KZ forums about the input lag. Apparently someone found that changing the XMB->Display settings cross color filter setting from ON to OFF (or OFF to ON, whichever you had) significantly drops input lag... even down to the menus.

I'm not sure if it's a placebo effect, but it seemed to work for me also. Now , the oddity here is either setting fixed it for people. It just has to be "reset". Afterwards, putting the setting back to it's original state doesn't bring back the lag. I'm guessing here that if this is indeed true, then it must be some kind of firmware/setting glitch that causes KZ to do something funky. It's not the first time anyway... since we've seen problems with the PS info bar and even status/msg pop ups with other games.

Can some of you try this and confirm? It's not a difficult test. All I get is bashing in the other forums. YES, I am well aware what cross color filter is :rolleyes:

Also, isn't cross color filter supposed to be for S-video and composite output? What on earth is someone doing playing KZ2 with S-video and composite ? :D

He's saying it doesn't matter what the original setting was (for Cross Color Filter).

Great if this fixes the "lag" though.

You shouldn't quote "lag" like it's not "real". It is. I think the easiest way to notice this is with the Menus.

Like I said, I hardly think there is a fix, or ever will be a fix. I still believe it's somehow related to the engine / game, not a design choice.

He's saying it doesn't matter what the original setting was (for Cross Color Filter).

Great if this fixes the "lag" though.

Oh I see. I completely misunderstood.

Is there a longer procedure that I should be following at all? Or is it just a matter of going into the XMB and changing it back and forth once?

I just got the game in my mailbox so I can't wait to try it out in all its glory !

Back