[PS3] Killzone 2

macabre

Regular
Got my copy yesterday , I`m in level 4 somewhere now. Game is awesome, the shotgun is my no1 pick weapon so far. I rush out , pop 2 or 3 heads and hurry back into cover .

I got my copy of the final retail yesterday. Unfortunately I was working on some other things and didnt get to spend hours with the game, but I didnt manage to check out some of it. It's worth mentioning that I did not download the demo and play it--I just have the beta disk (SP and MP) I received in December.

I fully expected to see some kind of installation with the final retail and unless it's doing something in the background that I didnt noitce--its not there. I'll check the gamedata file size and see how big it is but nothing was apparent and I didnt see anything pertaining to an install when I inspected the options menu.

In the actual SP game I didnt notice any changes in the graphical fidelity between the two, but really does there need to be? The game has been ploished, technically speaking, for months. It looks great and runs well.

I did notice that there are a few more additions to the environments like a new person standing here, groups of people repositioned for better presentation, some new dialog from NPCs and there are now new visual prompts during the introduction. For instance there are now RPGs streaking through the sky just pounding the ground--this might have been in the demo, but it wasnt in the beta. There is no denying that the game looks really good graphically speaking. I'm still not a huge fan of the art direction in the overall game--I personally would like some more variety throughout the entire experience.

Oh and during the dropship sequence in the very beginning of the game there is still a guy sitting next to you wearing a baseball hat that never moves along with everyone elses hair. This is despite the fact that you're traveling at a very high velocity in what is basically an open-topped space jeep dropping from hundreds (thousands?) of feet up in the air. Its definitely not a huge deal and means nothing in the overall game, but I still find it amusing to see that in a game that is as detailed as this one.

They appeared to have tweaked the controls a bit since the beta. There now appears to be a little more of a deadzone in the middle. What I mean is that if I slightly press the look-stick (lets say 2mm), the retical barely moves. when I say barely, I mean that it's a lot less than any other shooter that's out there. I did boost up the sensitivity on both th eY and X axis and this helped, bot only to a certain degree. I dont know how to explain it but it just felt a little sluggish. But this is also similar in my experience in the SP beta where it took me about 30 mins - 1 hour to get acclimated to the controls. I expect this to be no different.

I attempted to connect to the MP authentication servers and it errored out--MP is not up yet.

*Minor spoiler begins*

About 1/4 of the way through the game the environments changes pretty dramatically to a desert. I found this particular section of the game breathtaking. The dust being kicked up and swirling about, tattered fragments of cloth flapping in the wind, the whistling of the dry winds blowing into your face. Everything in Killzone, every underlying system in place, comes together to create this amazing moment for you. The subtle beauty slowly builds into this "wow" moment. All this in a rock solid frame rate.

*Minor spoiler ends*

I won a Killzone 2 PS3 SKin, a Killzone Cap to save me from the SUn and a Artbook (Again ! ) at a contest at
http://theangrypixel.com/blog/2009/02/24/death-to-the-helghast-the-killzone-2-contest/
kz2prizes_small.jpg

Also, I think we should get the OST CDs for killzone 2 as I find the in-game music really really good !

BTW, I am at last boss battle, but
Radec
is a bitch and just won't die :devilish: !

*Minor spoiler begins*

About 1/4 of the way through the game the environments changes pretty dramatically to a desert. I found this particular section of the game breathtaking. The dust being kicked up and swirling about, tattered fragments of cloth flapping in the wind, the whistling of the dry winds blowing into your face. Everything in Killzone, every underlying system in place, comes together to create this amazing moment for you. The subtle beauty slowly builds into this "wow" moment. All this in a rock solid frame rate.

*Minor spoiler ends*

That's at campaign six out of ten, so some way further than 1/4 through the game! Especially when the later campaigns are significantly shorter than the earlier ones.

*Minor spoiler begins*

*Minor spoiler ends*

I know the part you speak of because I've seen it in videos. Therefore it will not wow me so much.

I think it's a shame some of the hype of this game has been deadened a lot, as someone put it, "the whole game has been gif-ed".

They should have not put review copies out so crazy early, for one..

What was the competition format ? vs bots ? The MP servers are not up yet.

the contest is at the link posted earlier. Nothing to do with MP, just some puzzle solving skills required ;) ! There was this contest at Gamingindians where they were giving away 1 DS3 controller every night. I tried each and every night but couldn't win. I entered this one and I was the first to crack the code, But now I have 2 artbooks but still no DS3 :( !

I know the part you speak of because I've seen it in videos. Therefore it will not wow me so much.

I think it's a shame some of the hype of this game has been deadened a lot, as someone put it, "the whole game has been gif-ed".

They should have not put review copies out so crazy early, for one..

Hmm... we have already seen quite a few MP videos of the Desert level. I was under the impression that it's one of the beta levels. If true, I think warcrow should have already seen it long ago. There may be a little something extra in the SP version (especially viewed on a big screen).

I was told the SP levels are in general more "busy" than the MP ones. Afterall the latter has to host up to 32 players.

Hmm... we have already seen quite a few MP videos on the Desert level. I was under the impression that it's one of the beta levels. If true, I think warcrow should have already seen it long ago. There may be a little something extra in the SP version (especially viewed on a big screen).

I was told the SP levels are in general more "busy" than the MP ones. Afterall the latter has to host up to 32 players.

It's weird, because the MP map is just amazing - it's wider - and has just as much detail. Love it, one of my favourite. That and the Visari map

IN SP , the desert map is completely different in layout design, congestion everything. Except for the same colour scheme and textures, the level is totally different.

I see. I didn't know that. :)

There's also the rumor that KZ2 DLC will be announced shortly after release. I don't think they have shown all their cards yet.

I'm personally curious as to all the various combination's of the badges...

I'm hoping the STa SMG is good. I plan on using that quite a bit..

I see. I didn't know that. :)

There's also the rumor that KZ2 DLC will be announced shortly after release. I don't think they have shown all their cards yet.

For now I'm going to bet on online co-op, just as they added online multiplayer to Liberation after release of the PSP version. From what I've seen of the game, that suits the game quite well.

I'm personally curious as to all the various combination's of the badges...

I'm hoping the STa SMG is good. I plan on using that quite a bit..

You're talking about the badge reviews on GT ?

[gt]45913[/gt]

[gt]45939[/gt]

I have not watched them myself. Saving for later.

I am looking for something to beef up a Saboteur's firepower.

Oh, I mean I know about all of the badges\secondary badges and classes.

I was just curious as to which ones I'd fall in love with.

You might look into the Sta14 rifle (Garand knock off).

The StA 14 rifle is present in the demo.

It's pretty fun to pick off Helghast one by one if you have the time. But be careful of their rush/flanking when they get mad. It's not a good close combat weapon.

Yea you shoot the Helghast on the rooftop within the warehouse. Great for decapitations. Anyways, yea.

Should not be used in close range.

For now I'm going to bet on online co-op, just as they added online multiplayer to Liberation after release of the PSP version. From what I've seen of the game, that suits the game quite well.

There are some areas in the campaign, where Sev is alone, on his own, so I don't know about co-op. They might have to make those extra missions where the other guy is doing something else, assisting Sev, whihc is not visible in the game right now.
I think there are only 2 such areas, but can't remember perfectly, coz its always better when there is someone with you, coz then it feels like War. When u r all alone, it feels like a SP campaign :rolleyes:

Back