[PS3] Killzone 2

Once you get used to one setup, it really does not matter. The new controlls after patch does require you to relearn aiming again (if you got used to the old scheme).

I have also noticed that with the change in controls, there is also a big change in how the game plays. With the crappy controls, people stayed together as a team, and worked their way slowly through the map. Now everybody is more sure about their aim so its all just run and gun now.

Was going to try "no respawn" in KZ2. Not sure if it's possible.

I always wonder why you're not playing Socom (yes you, Ostepop), the more hardcore FPS. One of the best R1 players I know have moved on to Socom and probably will never come back to more arcady/casual FPSes. In his own words:

There's something awesome about the one death no respawn system. It forces propper teamwork and communication - or you'll hear it from the 90%+ with headsets who want to strategize and win. It can also lead to an adreneline rush and heart pumping action that I've never experienced in any other video game (I hear old CS guys explaining a similar rush). Being outnumbered by 3, 4, 5 or 6 guys and knowing your entire team is watching your every move...just awesome. On the flip side I like watching other people after I die, always gathering new ideas and strategies.
[size=-2]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15076002&postcount=1643[/size]

So is there a no respawn mode in KZ2 ?

Was going to try "no respawn" in KZ2. Not sure if it's possible.

I always wonder why you're not playing Socom (yes you, Ostepop), the more hardcore FPS. One of the best R1 players I know have moved on to Socom and probably will never come back to more arcady/casual FPSes. In his own words:

[size=-2]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15076002&postcount=1643[/size]

So is there a no respawn mode in KZ2 ?

I haven't seen anything like it and I highly doubt it.
I don't know how fun it would be to play objective games with 1 life.
It would also render Tactician irrelevant, possibly Medic too.

They may add a life counter (ala R2), which may still be used to the same effect, but I don't feel the necessity.

Yap, if it's one-life-only, they probably need to turn off the soldier classes. Otherwise, most would pick Assault class. They should allow people to pick any weapon though.

Don't know if you guys noticed, I love the flashlight on the shotgun, it cast shadows on almost every single object in the level. I just wish there's an option for a stand along flashlight in any weapon scenario so I can beam it wherever I like.

I thought socom was rather arcade stuff?

I dont really like no respawn games on consoles. The problem is that i have very limited time and i dont know anybody online, so i dont have a clan. And that is a huge problem:

I just run and gun, my aim and the fact that i use maximum sensitivity (And that im not stupid enough to use ironsights, ,slowing you down) usually makes it an effective strategy.
However, it also means that often i die a lot , because in team modes people stay\spawn together, and that makes things hard.

When i play no spawn modes, i try to run fast as hell, to flank the other team. This also means that sooner or later i die (because its pretty rare that you manage to kill the entire team.). And when i die sooner, i get the pleasure of watching some random noob guy die. 90% of the people i encounter are truly incompetent. I think its lack of intelligence
Im They block hallways, they camp stupid postitions where the enemy is the least likely to run by, they dont go for the objective,. They get lost on the way to the objective, They dont respond to sounds, they stand still when there is gunfire, they dont notice people in view moving towards them, they dont know how to aim. They havent figured out that if you keep moving instead of standing still when shooting at people, they will have a harder time shooting back. The list goes on.
Needless to say, this is pretty boring. Aspecially when alot of the popular games these days support 16+ players. Having to sit through, (sometimes if i get unlucky), 7 players that are incompetent makes me want to kill my entire team next round, to ensure that it never ever, happends again. If you get unlocky in objective based for example CoD4 (and most team based games) you can get a grenade thrown at your head in 5-6 seconds on most maps. That means you have to watch for about 5-7 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know if you guys noticed, I love the flashlight on the shotgun, it cast shadows on almost every single object in the level. I just wish there's an option for a stand along flashlight in any weapon scenario so I can beam it wherever I like.

Yap, I dug out an old thread talking about KZ2 tech presentation in last year's GDC.

It mentioned that KZ2 can put out 10 or so shadow casting lights (and 100 or so real-time lights).

The trailer above captured many of these shotgun blasts you talked about. I didn't notice so much details during my playthrough. Such a shame. Will try to do a Trooper run again.

Yap, I dug out an old thread talking about KZ2 tech presentation in last year's GDC.

It mentioned that KZ2 can put out 10 or so shadow casting lights (and 100 or so real-time lights).

The trailer above captured many of these shotgun blasts you talked about. I didn't notice so much details during my playthrough. Such a shame. Will try to do a Trooper run again.
I just couldn't keep up with everything happening on the screen. killzone2 is one of those games where you would stand still, pan around the viewport, getting shot a few times and appreciate the visuals.

Hmm... I tried it for 2 weeks when it was very buggy. Will have to revisit. Heard it's been patched up pretty decently. People seem to take their Socom games very seriously, hence I coined it a non-casual game. Like Beatbox (in my quote) mentioned, you'll hear an earful from comrades if you make too much mistakes.

I dont really like no respawn games on consoles. The problem is that i have very limited time and i dont know anybody online, so i dont have a clan.

Ok, I see. I just thought that since you seem pretty good at shooters, you'd enjoy fighting side by side some of the bests I have met. I don't think having a clan is critical, I didn't have one when I started out.

I just run and gun, my aim and the fact that i use maximum sensitivity (And that im not stupid enough to use ironsights, ,slowing you down) usually makes it an effective strategy.

However, it also means that often i die a lot , because in team modes people stay\spawn together, and that makes things hard.

How so ? FYI, my MP KZ2 skill is pretty laughable at this point. I get shot up by enemies and my own team (for mistaking me to be a Sab more than once).

When i play no spawn modes, i try to run fast as hell, to flank the other team. This also means that sooner or later i die (because its pretty rare that you manage to kill the entire team.). And when i die sooner, i get the pleasure of watching some random noob guy die. 90% of the people i encounter are truly incompetent. I think its lack of intelligence
Im They block hallways, they camp stupid postitions where the enemy is the least likely to run by, they dont go for the objective,. They get lost on the way to the objective, They dont respond to sounds, they stand still when there is gunfire, they dont notice people in view moving towards them, they dont know how to aim. They havent figured out that if you keep moving instead of standing still when shooting at people, they will have a harder time shooting back. The list goes on.
Needless to say, this is pretty boring. Aspecially when alot of the popular games these days support 16+ players. Having to sit through, (sometimes if i get unlucky), 7 players that are incompetent makes me want to kill my entire team next round, to ensure that it never ever, happends again. If you get unlocky in objective based for example CoD4 (and most team based games) you can get a grenade thrown at your head in 5-6 seconds on most maps. That means you have to watch for about 5-7 minutes.

Ah... it's just that I have been fighting along side Beatbox for 1-2 years almost every night. I know his skills and styles. If he'd fallen for Socom, I suspect there's something special there for a great player like him.

I just couldn't keep up with everything happening on the screen. killzone2 is one of those games where you would stand still, pan around the viewport, getting shot a few times and appreciate the visuals.

Oh wait, you mentioned flashlight on the shotgun ! :LOL: I didn't even realize there's one. I should just jump into campaign 4 first to see some of these effects.

I dont really like no respawn games on consoles. The problem is that i have very limited time and i dont know anybody online, so i dont have a clan. And that is a huge problem:

SOCOM is not arcadey at all, it's alright but if you don't like no respawn then you'll probably hate it. It also has a relatively higher barrier of entry for new players, all the vets have scopes and silencers. You can only take a few shots and would have to sit through the rest of the game if you die.

This is why I like Killzone 2 so much more because right at the start you are given a standard weapon that is accurate and can compete in short and long range encounters, better players are craftier in how they use their secondary abilities and take advantage of the classes but the difference in equipment does not create too much of a disparity.

Hmm... I tried it for 2 weeks when it was very buggy. Will have to revisit. Heard it's been patched up pretty decently. People seem to take their Socom games very seriously, hence I coined it a non-casual game. Like Beatbox (in my quote) mentioned, you'll hear an earful from comrades if you make too much mistakes.

Ok, I see. I just thought that since you seem pretty good at shooters, you'd enjoy fighting side by side some of the bests I have met. I don't think having a clan is critical, I didn't have one when I started out.

How so ? FYI, my MP KZ2 skill is pretty laughable at this point. I get shot up by enemies and my own team (for mistaking me to be a Sab more than once).

Ah... it's just that I have been fighting along side Beatbox for 1-2 years almost every night. I know his skills and styles. If he'd fallen for Socom, I suspect there's something special there for a great player like him.

SOCOM isn't really that amazing, it's just that once you've been playing for awhile and gained an advantage in equipment, it's much more enjoyable than starting out with the same weapon as everybody else in some other shooter, that and I blame R2 being so unenjoyable that one had to resort to play SOCOM for 3 months, I would have gone for SOCOM had the way the game handles joining friends not been such garbage. On the other hand I really would rather not have to constantly play against people with better scopes and silencers on, not to mention it takes awhile to learn how every weapon recoils. It lacks that accessibility that a game like Killzone 2 has.

Ey guys, what is the figure to the left of the number of kills in the MP ?. I thought it was the number of players but yesterday I realized it doesn´t match...

SOCOM is not arcadey at all, it's alright but if you don't like no respawn then you'll probably hate it. .

Its not that i hate no respawn, its just that the average players i have on my team makes the wait after youve died unbareable. If my team was intelligent it wouldn't be so bad to watch

Oh wait, you mentioned flashlight on the shotgun ! :LOL: I didn't even realize there's one. I should just jump into campaign 4 first to see some of these effects.
You didn't notice ey Patsu. I guess It's one of the cool features that player would miss out. It's just awsome to beam it around since it's casting shadows on every objects!

I just got my copy today, so I'll be giving it a try by tonight as well! Can't wait :) Yay!

I just got past the bridge an wow, yeah, quite a change ... :D Looks awesome. I personally wouldn't have minded a slight bit more transition cinematics, especially as everything has been so intense.

Played a little bit today, unlocked the sniper and got the boost badge. Total playtime is around 14hours i think. Sniper is ridiculously overpowered, camo + 1shot\kill is a very powerful combo, aspecially considering how slow things move.

I thought i could mix the abilities on classes? Like create a tactician with boost pills? That would be insane.

Back