[PS3] Killzone 2

Heh heh, I don't feel much difference in the controls. It's a tad more responsive. The acceleration is still present. Glad to see people like the changes though.

I think this is extremely unnecessary. There's no reason to call people pathetic, let alone accuse them of being fanboys or only enjoyed the game because it's a "flagship title".

Not only that, but you got vanquish to agree with you, which means you're doing something wrong. I didn't think the controls were the "best", but I hardly think anyone was "pathetic" because they didn't feel the same way I did.

I think he was exaggerating, to stress his point.

But certainly by the impassioned defense some of you put up, you would have thought that the controls were the best thing since dual analog sticks. (being so realistic, unlike the arcadey controls on every other FPS etc.)

I don't know what exactly got fixed, but I'm overshooting far less and the controls feel more responsive. Not as responsive as I'd like, but I could live with this.

That's what I'm experiencing too, the controls are a bit more manageable, it takes less time for me to aim now.

I don't know who he's referring to, but I never said the controls were perfect either. Back a few pages when I was talking about input lag, I was referring to my specific case where using Game mode on my LCD virtually eliminated input lag making the controls feel a lot better, but the acceleration (which was half of the problem) was still present. After the patch, single player still seems the same to me, and it's still just as bad as before if I turn off Game mode. I haven't tried multiplayer pre-patch, but the controls are definitely a lot different than SP.

I think he was exaggerating, to stress his point.

But certainly by the impassioned defense some of you put up, you would have thought that the controls were the best thing since dual analog sticks. (being so realistic, unlike the arcadey controls on every other FPS etc.)

That's what I'm experiencing too, the controls are a bit more manageable, it takes less time for me to aim now.

Look, you've made your troll-esque stance quite clear in nearly every single thread that is even remotely related to PlayStation 3. We get it.

However, not one person in this thread claimed that the controls were the "best thing since dual analog sticks". Not one. Take your ridiculously stupid hyperbole (as you are so often accustomed to posting, and then backing out when people call you out) and stay out of these threads. You do nothing but speculate to ridiculous levels, and post up ridiculous comments (and I want to emphasize the ridiculous).

Honestly, this was the last straw, you have not once contributed any form of decent discussion to any thread, nor have you backed your points with any evidence. It's ridiculous.

If I don't answer any response to you after this post, it's because you are now in my ignore list.

OMG the game has gone from challenging to frustrating to tedious.I'm at the last section of the SP campaign defending from the second floor balcony. WILL THEY EVER STOP COMING!! :LOL: This game will test the limit of my patience on Elite(if I ever finish it on Veteran).
By the way has anyone here gotten the trophy for finishing the game without dieing at all. If so I bow down to your greatness. :!:

Is there a throphy for that? I gotta play through quick and start over. Thats easy peasy if you can play at easy settings. Veteran is doable to if your patient. Havent unlocked elite, but cover makes things relaxing so far at veteran and im very baked when i play games.

Is there a throphy for that? I gotta play through quick and start over. Thats easy peasy if you can play at easy settings. Veteran is doable to if your patient. Havent unlocked elite, but cover makes things relaxing so far at veteran and im very baked when i play games.

I don't think you need to start over, even. I believe you can choose the section you want to play from and try to zero out your 'last deaths' there.

They really need to buff up the server searching options. Not being able to choose friendly fire options, and that I keep falling into servers that want to play Bodycount over and over is boring.

Tharsis Refinery and The Cruiser are the best looking (and best playing) levels in the game, by a wide margin too. I`m blown away by the lighting and post processing in both of those levels. I feel as if the only thing holding this game back (from exceptional image quality) is the low amount of available v-ram and quincunx AA. I`d much rather 4xMSAA (and I read somewhere that Guerrilla had initially tried for 4xMSAA), but I understand that a sharper image quality would have made KZ2`s (abundant) low resolution textures more pronounced.

Tharsis Refinery and The Cruiser are the best looking (and best playing) levels in the game, by a wide margin too. I`m blown away by the lighting and post processing in both of those levels. I feel as if the only thing holding this game back (from exceptional image quality) is the low amount of available v-ram and quincunx AA. I`d much rather 4xMSAA (and I read somewhere that Guerrilla had initially tried for 4xMSAA), but I understand that a sharper image quality would have made KZ2`s (abundant) low resolution textures more pronounced.

Apparently 4xMSAA has the same performance cost as doing 4xQAA on RSX. And QAA has higher perceived AA levels, so that's likely why they (like most PS3 titles) went with Quincunx instead.

In other news, I got past the ATAC boss encounter relatively painlessly, dying only a couple of times. I had no problem locating it (as others had), the trick is to try and not take enough damage to push you into black and white mode, because once your screen goes B&W it's very hard to locate the ATAC/ take cover which makes it difficult to regain health.

I think the improved controls are really helping, it's much easier to kill enemies at mid/long range and behind cover now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently 4xMSAA has the same performance cost as doing 4xQAA on RSX. And QAA has higher perceived AA levels, so that's likely why they (like most PS3 titles) went with Quincunx instead.

2xAA is the same cost as QAA. There is no 4xQAA.

BTW patsu you never responded to my PSN message about the game :???:

I finally found time to clear Chapter 3 (Visari Square). So here're my impressions. I replayed KZ2 from scratch after patch 1.20 (Mainly because I found out I played KZ2 last week using my wife's account).

At first, the controls felt similar. Soon, I disliked the new controls when aiming with a StA52 or the tank. It's like roller-skating on an oily surface, causing excessive and unstoppable movement. This made me nausious. Could only played in short spur.

It's easier to get headshot using StA14 though. I also switched to the pistol or blade more often to avoid aiming using StA52. Once I found the SMG, and later LMG, I felt MUCH more at home. I could take out the enemies quicker and with more precision/control. Under the old scheme, I was able to use StA52 simply with some minor adjustment (Didn't feel dizzy at all). I didn't realize the weapons could feel so different in the same game. Perhaps by the time I found the SMG, I have already gotten used to the controls.

Will play more to see how it goes (I think it should be fine). The 2 Heavies in Visari Squares were easy to take out with the turrets.

I like all the cutscenes so far. They are very pretty... even with motion sickness. :)

I don't think you need to start over, even. I believe you can choose the section you want to play from and try to zero out your 'last deaths' there.

They really need to buff up the server searching options. Not being able to choose friendly fire options, and that I keep falling into servers that want to play Bodycount over and over is boring.

Elite is unlocked regardless of what difficulty level you beat it on, simply beating it is enough. And you can indeed use chapter select to and try beat individual levels without dying.

If you search the servers, you should see 5 icons behind each game, representing each of the game modes. If they are all showing in white, you'll get to play every game mode. There is also a screen before the server list that lets you specify your search. I usual skip right past that, so don't know which options are on there.

Edit:

You can search for specific maps, game modes, sized games, etc on there. No option for friendly fire on/off though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked it up. So far I'd say its solid. Played up to Vasari square last not on veteran. So far it's been pretty easy. Vasari was the first place I died more than once.

I still don't like the controls, but I didn't play without the update first to see what the difference was. I'm also curious to try it with the dual shock 3 to see if there is actual a difference in the analog sticks.

The cover mechanics seem a little sketchy. You never really take complete cover. If you're at the edge of a wall it seems like you're standing half exposed before you even lean out. And you're head is pretty much completely exposed behind a barrier. The enemies sure seem to have an easy time hitting you. I'd personally rather have a more pronounced duck, and use the duck and stand approach and be above to move a little bit better. I rarely lean out on corners because it seems easier to stand back from the corner and step in and out firing. I'll only use the cover if I'm behind a narrow pillar where there isn't any room to move.

Overall, the game looks very nice. At least in the early levels it suffers from a bit of a limited colour palette, but it looks very good. The motion blur is excessive to me, at times. The game already has a very soft look because of all the post processing, and the blur just seems to be a little much. Other than those nitpicks, it's really hard to find fault with anything.

I played about 25 minutes online. Didn't notice a lot of lag. I like the way the game mode switches as you play. I had 22 kills and 14 deaths or something on my first go, which I thought was pretty good. It would be nice if you had more variety to choose from at the start, rather than having to play to unlock everything.

Overall, I'd give it a solid 8, I think. It's definitely good, but not one of my favorites.

I still don't like the controls, but I didn't play without the update first to see what the difference was. I'm also curious to try it with the dual shock 3 to see if there is actual a difference in the analog sticks.

When I switched from SIXAXIS to DS3, it was a little awkward because of the added weight. I tend to press the buttons too hard to compensate for the rumble too. SIXAXIS has a little advantage because rumble won't throw off your aim.

The cover mechanics seem a little sketchy. You never really take complete cover. If you're at the edge of a wall it seems like you're standing half exposed before you even lean out. And you're head is pretty much completely exposed behind a barrier. The enemies sure seem to have an easy time hitting you. I'd personally rather have a more pronounced duck, and use the duck and stand approach and be above to move a little bit better. I rarely lean out on corners because it seems easier to stand back from the corner and step in and out firing. I'll only use the cover if I'm behind a narrow pillar where there isn't any room to move.

I would have done the same thing GG did. If I want full cover, I could step back or strafe behind cover easily without fudging with the buttons. The obvious disadvantage is I lose sight of the enemies. The partial cover and visibility gives me an added view mode to spy on my enemies with some risk. Don't use it if it's too risky (You can always hop back to full cover by walking/running).

Now that I played a lot of MP, it's fair to say I don't really like it.

There is no option to see or specify faction balancing in the search which bugs me a lot.
Quick join totally ignores everything (obviously intentional but unfortunately inconvenient since you end up playing non tdm modes in small maps with 32 player). Game doesn't hesitate to drop you in a 4-0 match, which is even worse than CoD4/CoD5's matchmaking.

Also apparently there was a patch before I got the game which removed stat padding with bots, yet you can still do stat padding with friends. Seriously why people don't get custom matches with ranking is a stupid idea, I honestly don't know.

I also hate the class system. Medics and Tacticians start with assault rifles which is a torture by itself. Medic may even be unnecessary for matches with good tacticians or good squad leaders since you don't get to restock if you don't respawn. Even if you have extra supply stocks fixed, class ability timers reset after respawning. In a way, game rewards you for getting killed, especially since there are medals that depend on activeness of class ability (for saboteur, scout, assault). And those medals are actually gameplay changing, not simple experience multipliers which are totally useless after some point. You rarely see anyone playing medic in medium sized high rank matches. To be fair, they are useful in assassination defense, which is what, 1 out of 7 objectives.

Tachticians are almost always important but you have to baby sit your spawn points. Their second ability, similar to engineers' primary ability, is not totally useless but the machines they bring not only don't really kill anyone, but can be destroyed easily.

I have to admit I really really like saboteur class and I wish certain other game had that berserk.
Scout is also pretty nice class, unfortunately I don't like sniping at all.

Oh and there is the rocket launcher, cheapest weapon ever. People pick it up and get to high point in a search and destroy game, making plenty cheap kills with only three "bullets". And what's up with asymmetry of search and destroy. In some of the maps, one team has to defend two separate points.

At this point, I doubt I will continue playing much, maybe only for unlocking secondary badge for saboteur, which may be painful without cheating.

Bah, I wish I have enough time to play. So you're going back to R2 or Socom ?

I kinda miss R2, but I want to make the best out of KZ2 MP first. Is your R2 clan in KZ2 now ? If so, what is the name ?

I think the KZ2 MP is a lot like the R2 MP, in fact, it's a lot like any Multiplayer Game.

What I mean by that is, it's not for everyone. No game is for everyone. There's no reason to tear down any game over another, especially if it's just not your cup of tea.

That said, I need to jump into KZ2 multiplayer so I can claim my clan name. Project Abraham :D

Just finished the campaign. Whole experience was so-so. Have to say though, after all the tech demonstrations, the AI and fancy features have been a let down. Destructible scenery was so rare that the HG never had to employ smart tactics to change position. Remeber the demo vid of the wall being destroyed and the HG getting lower and lower? Is that at all in the game? Almost all barricades are solid. And the actual decision making of the AI was useless as evidenced by the final conflict. Rico would merrily sit around doing absolutely nothing while a maniac chased me with a knife. He would crounch by a barrier while Radec is gunning him in the back.

The game would have been so much better coop with a dependable ally. And I think it'd work perfectly. Just replacing Rico or the other one with a human player would be 80% there.

Back