[PS3] Killzone 2

Bah, I wish I have enough time to play. So you're going back to R2 or Socom ?

I kinda miss R2, but I want to make the best out of KZ2 MP first. Is your R2 clan in KZ2 now ? If so, what is the name ?

Most of my R2 buddies are still playing R2 after trying out K2. There are a couple of people I "gbed" with who plays K2 now but not enough to play proper scheduled clan matches. And given the state of party system and my preference of balanced matches it's tough to play with others you know.

The reason I was stuck with K2 for a week was that my BD drive is dying and disc switching is even more painful now. So next week will probably be Pacific Rift week. I'm planning to order new blue diodes when BDD stops recognizing discs all together, but no doubt I will be playing R2 more (which for some reason is the game that BD drive recognizes easily).

I was also testing R2 matchmaking after K2 release regularly and it didn't take a noticeable hit. Don't know how it's now, but given how K2 is I doubt it changed at all.

Should I be able to hear enemy footsteps online? With the lack of audible footsteps, narrow field of view and without any indication of which direction you're being shot from, it's very easy to be snuck up on.

With regards to the field of view, I have been killed a number of times by guys that would be well within a normal human beings peripheral vision.

Just finished the campaign. Whole experience was so-so. Have to say though, after all the tech demonstrations, the AI and fancy features have been a let down. Destructible scenery was so rare that the HG never had to employ smart tactics to change position. Remeber the demo vid of the wall being destroyed and the HG getting lower and lower? Is that at all in the game? Almost all barricades are solid. And the actual decision making of the AI was useless as evidenced by the final conflict. Rico would merrily sit around doing absolutely nothing while a maniac chased me with a knife. He would crounch by a barrier while Radec is gunning him in the back.

The game would have been so much better coop with a dependable ally. And I think it'd work perfectly. Just replacing Rico or the other one with a human player would be 80% there.

I'm not the biggest KZ2 fan, but I do think it's unfair to hold disappointment with this game in particular when ever other big budget first person shooter is exactly the same.

Sure, KZ2 had "hype", but so did all the other big budget shooters of the last 24 months. I'd actually like a separate thread to argue my point, and possibly discuss it. I don't think there is a single problem with KZ2. In fact, I think the comments and disappointment with this game stem more from an exhaustion of the genre itself, rather than this game in particular, but very few people seem to notice this, instead passing it off as "being the same thing".

I'm not the biggest KZ2 fan, but I do think it's unfair to hold disappointment with this game in particular when ever other big budget first person shooter is exactly the same.
My disappointment stems from technical showcases that suggested game features that just aren't apparent. If the devs hadn't shown some great AI tech demo's, my expectations wouldn't have been raised and I'd have been 'happy' with the status quo as achieved by other games of the ilk. As it is, I definitely liken the game to Gears in my experience of the two as an FPS lightweight, whereas I was hoping it would move technology in general forward a bit. Any improvements are too subtle for my undeveloped palate ;)

Just finished the campaign. Whole experience was so-so. Have to say though, after all the tech demonstrations, the AI and fancy features have been a let down. Destructible scenery was so rare that the HG never had to employ smart tactics to change position. Remeber the demo vid of the wall being destroyed and the HG getting lower and lower? Is that at all in the game?

It's a good question. There are some barricades that seem to be made of thin sheet metal, I think you start seeing them when
you ride in the mecha
, but I think you run into them later on too, on foot. I didn't really pay attention as to how the Helghan behaved behind them, but I played fairly aggressively.

Almost all barricades are solid. And the actual decision making of the AI was useless as evidenced by the final conflict. Rico would merrily sit around doing absolutely nothing while a maniac chased me with a knife. He would crounch by a barrier while Radec is gunning him in the back.

Well, to be fair, Rico is stupider than the Helghast ever seem to be.
And it's amusing that he's just as stupid in cutscenes. Consistency, for once!

Just finished the campaign. Whole experience was so-so. Have to say though, after all the tech demonstrations, the AI and fancy features have been a let down. Destructible scenery was so rare that the HG never had to employ smart tactics to change position. Remeber the demo vid of the wall being destroyed and the HG getting lower and lower? Is that at all in the game? Almost all barricades are solid. And the actual decision making of the AI was useless as evidenced by the final conflict. Rico would merrily sit around doing absolutely nothing while a maniac chased me with a knife. He would crounch by a barrier while Radec is gunning him in the back.

The game would have been so much better coop with a dependable ally. And I think it'd work perfectly. Just replacing Rico or the other one with a human player would be 80% there.

I've heard good things about Skirmish mode, where the AI seems to behave very convincing (also in your team).

It's a good question. There are some barricades that seem to be made of thin sheet metal.
Yes, those ones appear a couple of times that I recall. Sadly I don't remember any concrete/stone walls that are gradually destroyed by gunfire, or blown away completely by explosives, unlike the tech demo.

Yes, those ones appear a couple of times that I recall. Sadly I don't remember any concrete/stone walls that are gradually destroyed by gunfire, or blown away completely by explosives, unlike the tech demo.

I suspect the tech may actually be there, because some of the stuff in that footage I've actually actually seen, like the Helghans trying to move away from one side of cover if your shots start to land there. But it's slightly uneven, because sometimes they'll duck behind cover that you can still get headshots on, knock off their helmet... and then they'll move to a different spot on the same cover you can get headshots on.

It's very uneven if in. I've seen HG's wander around aimlessly, hide in the same spot time and again no matter how much shooting, etc.

I've heard good things about Skirmish mode, where the AI seems to behave very convincing (also in your team).

in the SP campaign there were a few times i had to shoot the allied AIs to get them to move out of my way because they were boxing me in, and for the covering fire, it just seems more like an animation as i dont see them killing any enemies yet they unload a whole clip of ammo, especially in the level with the caves where you run around with rico i think it was? the enemy AI reacted like Uncharted's, they take cover but rarely gank and absorb bullets to no end save for the shotgun and a pistol whipping brings them down quicker than a bullet (even with the helmets that they wear)

The HGHs shift around in cover and adapt to changing environments. When they stand behind two pieces of sheet metal, they will crouch lower if you shoot off the top portion of their cover.
If you completely destroy any soft cover they happen to be hiding behind, they'll run to the nearest available cover.
I've also seen HGHs climb ladders and sets of stairs to execute a flank.
edit:
I've beaten the game on Veteran and Elite. The HGHs flank and they flank a LOT.
Try playing Suljeva Village and the Cruiser on Elite. They come at you from all angles.
I dont know what to say to someone that suggests that the AI doesnt flank aggressively.

The HGHs shift around in cover and adapt to changing environments. When they stand behind two pieces of sheet metal, they will crouch lower if you shoot off the top portion of their cover.
If you completely destroy any soft cover they happen to be hiding behind, they'll run to the nearest available cover.
I've also seen HGHs climb ladders and sets of stairs to execute a flank.

Oh, yeah, the ladders. I was really impressed when, amazingly, the AI actually knew how to use ladders to get to me, climbing down one set and climbing another to get across a walkway with a gap.

I am at the Barren.
Just got the mecha
. Have gotten used to the controls. No motion sickness anymore.

I'm rushing through. As long as it's corridor warfare, I would charge with the blade. Also didn't bother with stop and pop. Just strafe behind cover and shoot. I was blocked by friendly AI twice, but saved by them quite a few times. So, I didn't have as negative experience with the friendly AI as others. I charged into the thick of the battles anyway, just like the friendly AI :LOL:. In any case, GG said they toned down the AI to prevent trivializing the fights.

In comparison, the Higgs kept moving and charging. I think one of the reasons we were not flanked by them that often is because they'd shoot from cover along the way. That gave their positions away. In some levels where there were fewer obstacles for covers, we should be able to see the complete flanking move. I noticed some Helgahsts were pretty tough (Carry SMG, sometimes wield a dagger). They are more likely to charge and flank because they are stronger physically.

The combat was pretty hectic. I liked the train one and the desert level best so far. Favorite weapon is the Electric gun. I got outflanked once in a heated battle at the outdoor desert level (Don't know how he routed to our back and shot both Rico and me, after we had cleared the area for a good one minute).

So far, the only destructible covers I saw are the wooden windows. The enemies will shuffle to hide behind better covers. Towards the later levels, some would fight with their dagger. The HGH snipers were pretty good too.

It's very uneven if in. I've seen HG's wander around aimlessly, hide in the same spot time and again no matter how much shooting, etc.

Hmm... have not seen any soldiers wander aimlessly yet. The HGH soldiers would move eventually. If the area is small (e.g., a corridor), there may not be much space to move to. The enemies may bunch together though (soldiers behind ran forward to support soldiers in front).

Most of my R2 buddies are still playing R2 after trying out K2. There are a couple of people I "gbed" with who plays K2 now but not enough to play proper scheduled clan matches. And given the state of party system and my preference of balanced matches it's tough to play with others you know.

So it's only suitable for designated clan-vs-clan matches ? as opposed to dynamic group match making ?

The reason I was stuck with K2 for a week was that my BD drive is dying and disc switching is even more painful now. So next week will probably be Pacific Rift week. I'm planning to order new blue diodes when BDD stops recognizing discs all together, but no doubt I will be playing R2 more (which for some reason is the game that BD drive recognizes easily).

I was also testing R2 matchmaking after K2 release regularly and it didn't take a noticeable hit. Don't know how it's now, but given how K2 is I doubt it changed at all.

Right now, I think R2 is more suitable for quick and easy fun, especially if one has learned its combat dynamics.

KZ2 has its own competitive class system. From what little I have played so far, it seems to require lot's of patience and skills to perfect (e.g., sniper rifle is harder to operate because it emulates the unstable human hold, aiming is more deliberate rather than effortless).

I have not joined up with the GAF clan yet. I saw them playing a few times (from XMB). Perhaps I should wrap up my SP quickly and join some small games.

That's true, but the FOV in Killzone2 feels particularly narrow.

I can understand why it could be a problem for some, (especially coupled with the controls + motion blur). It does make close combat hilarious at times though, when your melee attacks keep missing or you 'lose' the enemy.

Even my brother (who is not normally one to notice this stuff), commented on how narrow the FOV is compared to other shooters.

But it isn't that big of a problem for me, as the controls were.

Completed the game. I really liked it ! The last fight in Trooper difficult was epic ! I loved the different wave of soldiers. Better done than R2 SP IMHO. The ending cutscene was fitting too. The mecha was cool and very functional; beats the Electric gun. Reminded me of Metal Gear Rex.

Will try MP when I finish more work (probably next week :().

Veteran and Elite will be hell.

I can understand why it could be a problem for some, (especially coupled with the controls + motion blur). It does make close combat hilarious at times though, when your melee attacks keep missing or you 'lose' the enemy.

Nah... I used the dagger very often (probably 40 times or more). Only missed 3-4 times. Got killed about 10 times on the moving train when they gut me instead (Drew my dagger too late).

Even my brother (who is not normally one to notice this stuff), commented on how narrow the FOV is compared to other shooters.

But it isn't that big of a problem for me, as the controls were.

Yeah, FoV was fine for me. My guess is, even with a wider FoV, you'll be forced to run and turn anyway just because the designers want you to.
e.g., Fighting Radec, the Heavies and the Electric dude

During normal combat, once I grasped the situation, it's not difficult to get in, make a kill and get out. That's what I did in the first wave of the last fight too.

EDIT: The sheet metal in later levels were also destructible.

Regarding the FOV, am I the only one who has found FOV in more open games like Far Cry 2 or Crysis really weird?

I suspect the reason weapons are looking so good in K2 is partly because of the narrower FOV which I had no problem with. I also doubt any one would, if the controls were more assisted.

In any case, the complaint is surprising and feels somewhat artificial to be honest.

So it's only suitable for designated clan-vs-clan matches ? as opposed to dynamic group match making ?
I don't want to say only suitable, but KZ2 matchmaking and party system makes it way more difficult. However, playing against your friends is also great fun, if you are one of those who don't mind, but people seem to mind in general.

If you insist on being in the same team, then you create a game without balancing and if your group is decent, you will have hard time finding opponents, resulting in games like 16 v 3 players.
I did however have some great time being in that three. :)

Also, I have to say for other MP games including R2, setting up clan matches (clan vs clan) is ridiculously lame, and generally involves totally disconnected 3rd party websites like gb and manual input, leading to concepts like proof pictures. :)

That's why I still think K2 may be the MP game for clans. It's just unfortunate that those clans may have difficult time finding new blood.

Right now, I think R2 is more suitable for quick and easy fun, especially if one has learned its combat dynamics.

KZ2 has its own competitive class system. From what little I have played so far, it seems to require lot's of patience and skills to perfect (e.g., sniper rifle is harder to operate because it emulates the unstable human hold, aiming is more deliberate rather than effortless).

While I agree in general R2 is significantly more newbie friendly without a doubt (and that is somehow an understatement), sniper rifle is not very difficult in K2, especially compared to the games like CoD4 which simulates realism through instability better. I personally don't like CoD approach though, considering sniping with M4 carbine is way easier than any of the sniper rifles given the small map sizes.

Plus when you can spawn with a sniper rifle in K2, you probably have unlimited* invisibility as well which makes it way more easier than corresponding berserk in R2 or any other game.

I have not joined up with the GAF clan yet. I saw them playing a few times (from XMB). Perhaps I should wrap up my SP quickly and join some small games.

I would like to hear your experience.
Initially you will probably play with other low ranks, meaning no temporary spawn points (you better join a squad if you get an invite), but the gameplay will be simpler. Unfortunately you have to start with assault rifles so you better get used to shooting in bursts.

* there are things that will make you loose your invisibility temporarily, but if you just camp still, it seems the effect is indefinite, obviously until you shoot someone or vice versa.

Back