[PS3] Killzone 2

Yeah I certainly look forward to KZ2 multiplayer.

Who killed Radec under 10 minutes ?

EDIT: Did people really complain about KZ2 story ? I thought it was ok. Nothing deep but not lousy either. It's rather straightforward but there is no pretense.

Also, I usually hate infinite spawning. But I don't mind the spawning in the Palace section at all (If it's infinite spawning, that is). I thought it was cleverly done. The way my comrades swarmed the enemies steadily as I opened the beachhead was rather convincing. I could see the Helghast fall back intelligently too. Neat !

Just finished the campaign. Whole experience was so-so. Have to say though, after all the tech demonstrations, the AI and fancy features have been a let down. Destructible scenery was so rare that the HG never had to employ smart tactics to change position. Remeber the demo vid of the wall being destroyed and the HG getting lower and lower? Is that at all in the game? Almost all barricades are solid. And the actual decision making of the AI was useless as evidenced by the final conflict. Rico would merrily sit around doing absolutely nothing while a maniac chased me with a knife. He would crounch by a barrier while Radec is gunning him in the back.

The game would have been so much better coop with a dependable ally. And I think it'd work perfectly. Just replacing Rico or the other one with a human player would be 80% there.

There's quite a bit of destructible cover - boarded windows (they'll duck down lower) metal ones, which flip over when you shoot, sand bags...I often just shoot them out above the Helghast to see what they do, before going for the headshot.

Friendly AI isn't great, enemy AI is very good.

Nah... I used the dagger very often (probably 40 times or more). Only missed 3-4 times. Got killed about 10 times on the moving train when they gut me instead (Drew my dagger too late).

I would try that, but more often than not I'd probably press the wrong d-pad direction and end up changing weapon rather than killing them.

And on Veteran at least, in CQC the enemies (and your state of mind) don't really allow you to go, ohh I should change to my knife now and swipe him.

Regarding the FOV, am I the only one who has found FOV in more open games like Far Cry 2 or Crysis really weird?

Perhaps. I do know Crysis has 60 degree FOV as default although I use 75 which IMO is more like human eyes (wide view without fisheye effect). KZ2 should then have less. From all games I played (tweakable) having under 60 degrees it really feels like 'tunnel vision', though narrower FOV results in a perfomance boost. :smile:

Yes, those ones appear a couple of times that I recall. Sadly I don't remember any concrete/stone walls that are gradually destroyed by gunfire, or blown away completely by explosives, unlike the tech demo.

There's lots of concrete walls that can be destroyed...it'll make Helghast move from the pillars if you destroy the concrete, but they will return to them. I actually made it part of my goal to destroy as much cover as possible before shooting the Helghast to see what they did (not possible on Elite though - it's REEEALLY pop and shoot now.)

The HGHs shift around in cover and adapt to changing environments. When they stand behind two pieces of sheet metal, they will crouch lower if you shoot off the top portion of their cover.
If you completely destroy any soft cover they happen to be hiding behind, they'll run to the nearest available cover.
I've also seen HGHs climb ladders and sets of stairs to execute a flank.
edit:
I've beaten the game on Veteran and Elite. The HGHs flank and they flank a LOT.
Try playing Suljeva Village and the Cruiser on Elite. They come at you from all angles.
I dont know what to say to someone that suggests that the AI doesnt flank aggressively.

Yuh I got a bugger climbing up a ladder behind me - bastard...I didn't know they'd climb ladders >_<

Fake or real, an enjoyable read... http://ps3thevolution.com/2009/03/09/killzone-2-smoke-and-mirrors-from-a-cgi-artist/

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow, I didn't believe such drivel could reduce the overall intelligence in discussion across forums, but making up the excuse of comparing this generation of games to Killzone 1 seems even worse.

Please drop the flamebait comparison material and move on folks.

Somehow, I didn't believe such drivel could reduce the overall intelligence in discussion across forums, but making up the excuse of comparing this generation of games to Killzone 1 seems even worse.

Why do you insist on covering up the shadow cheating, AlStrong? :mad::mad:

good thing we have command+shift+3 then eh? ;)
Anyway, I believe it is time for an engine comparison topic in the tech subsection. Is this alright? I only want to start threads with a lot of views so that topic would seem appropriate.

back ontopic:
Does anyone know if there is making-of footage on the blu ray? I could not find this through google. It would kickass ofcourse. As I have yet to finish the game on my first go (veteran ofcourse ;) ), I don't know if you get these kind of rewards.
I really liked that in Uncharted, as it felt really rewarding.

I suspect the reason weapons are looking so good in K2 is partly because of the narrower FOV which I had no problem with. I also doubt any one would, if the controls were more assisted.

In any case, the complaint is surprising and feels somewhat artificial to be honest.

The FOV is an entirely different issue than the controls. You can sneak up on people that are facing you, which is weird.

I'm also curious to know if anyone else can hear footsteps in this game? That is always a big part of shooters for me, and in this game I don't hear anything. If guys are running up metal stairwells, I don't hear anything.

The FOV is an entirely different issue than the controls. You can sneak up on people that are facing you, which is weird.

I'm also curious to know if anyone else can hear footsteps in this game? That is always a big part of shooters for me, and in this game I don't hear anything. If guys are running up metal stairwells, I don't hear anything.

With a 5.1 yes, i don´t know in stereo.

Yap, besides the sound, I sometimes got a jump from my own shadow as well. :D
Catching a glimpse of enemies' stretched shadows up the stairs is funny too (I sniggled and opened fire).

Got into MP yesterday for real. betan, I think the basic MP gameplay in KZ2 is very very well done. But it's a different game from R2 in the following ways:

* It takes fewer shots to drop an enemy. Therefore, movement and positioning are critical. Killing an enemy in KZ2 is very satisfying (The 'chirp' and because it's fast to kill). Getting killed in KZ2 is "business as usual". Getting killed in Resistance is a tad more personal because the fights are longer, plus ALT fire skill/spam (Hey, I worked hard to stay alive).

* The weapons. R2 has more variety (from weapons with "hopeless" spread to extremely accurate, plus ALT fire).

* Party management. R2 is king.

* Visuals. R2 is more rough.

* Level design. Sh*t, the KZ2 maps are huge and wide. R2 maps can be huge but view is often obstructed to balance against easy, long range sniping. As a result, the maps appear smaller than they are.

I think your comments are mostly directed towards the advanced features (soldier classes in particular). There are probably things that need to change (e.g., Prevent Tacticians from both sides to drop spawn points in the same objective room). I need to play more before I understand your views. :)

EDIT:
I would try that, but more often than not I'd probably press the wrong d-pad direction and end up changing weapon rather than killing them.

Practice makes perfect. ;-)

And on Veteran at least, in CQC the enemies (and your state of mind) don't really allow you to go, ohh I should change to my knife now and swipe him.

Yeah but melee shouldn't be too difficult in KZ2 because of the FoV. It's fine for me at least (and you too I believe).

In MP, I think it's a non-issue, the controls are almost like other MP games.

EDIT 2:
There's quite a bit of destructible cover - boarded windows (they'll duck down lower) metal ones, which flip over when you shoot, sand bags...I often just shoot them out above the Helghast to see what they do, before going for the headshot.

Friendly AI isn't great, enemy AI is very good.

deepbrown, where are the enemies behind sandbags ? The moving train (diagonally across the tank) ?
I saw the Helghast soldiers hiding behind sandbags there, but it never occured to me that I could blow them away.

deepbrown, where are the enemies behind sandbags ? The moving train (diagonally across the tank) ?
I saw the Helghast soldiers hiding behind sandbags there, but it never occured to me that I could blow them away.

There are sandbags all over Salamun Bridge. I'm pretty sure all of them can be blown to hell. (In fact, it's essential that you do this when playing on a harder difficulty.)

Ah, I remember the scene now. Ha ha, I played it as if all the sandbags were indestructible (But I hid behind the trucks and metal covers). That's why I never saw destructible sandbags throughout the entire game.

Ah, I remember the scene now. Ha ha, I played it as if all the sandbags were indestructible (But I hid behind the trucks and metal covers). That's why I never saw destructible sandbags throughout the entire game.

The enemy's incredibly generous with grenades at that point, and that's where grenade launchers are introduced, so in my case the sandbag cover didn't last long.

I'm probably gonna play through on Easy mode and look more for technical stuff. i don't recall sandbag destruction at all, but then like Obonicus, they may have all been blown to bits before I got to see them.

I'm probably gonna play through on Easy mode and look more for technical stuff. i don't recall sandbag destruction at all, but then like Obonicus, they may have all been blown to bits before I got to see them.

They exist. :) At the beginning of level 5, try throwing some grenades at them. It doesn't appear very detailed, but it can occur.

Back