[PS3] Infamous

Yes, it is similar to Crackdown's super hero, open world gameplay. Sucker Punch will need to find its own voice. There are tons of FPSes in the market, but there is only one KillZone 2.

Here's an interview with inFamous developers: http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/infamous/preview-1234.html

VideoGamer.com: If you choose to become a darker superhero with a rep for slaughtering enemies, do people in the world look at you differently?

NF: The population has a memory and if they like you, you'll see it. They'll take a picture of you on their cell phones, because you're famous. You have super powers right. This is a real world setting. So if you had super powers all eyes would be on you. If you messed up you'd be condemned, so that's what you get in the game. Hopefully we're trying to make a believable experience.

VideoGamer.com: Lots of open world games have a good day/night cycle. Will Infamous have this and does it change anything?

NF: We do have times of day. It creates different moods for the city. Because it's an open world right, you can run around wherever you want. We do actually have a lot of the city that becomes unlocked over time. You get a huge, huge amount right off the bat. Times of day really help spice things up.

VideoGamer.com: Any plans for multiplayer support?

NF: (Laughs). I would also love to answer that question in two months time.

VideoGamer.com: Lots of open-world games seem to get bogged down with collecting items. What's your view on this?

NF: We're not really into that so much. Mainly because we want to give you the goods and not have you jump through hoops. The goods, in our mind, is the joy of being able to interact with what we call the crime ecology.

Have you ever walked in a Jungle before?

VideoGamer.com: No.

NF: As you might imagine, a jungle is full of jaguars and snakes and bugs and stuff, and it's all around you. They are eating each other. It's not about you. In our world we have this crime ecology where different gangs are fighting, and people are getting mugged. It's happening whether you're taking part in it or not. So you walk around and the world is alive. You can spend a lot of time interacting with that. That's really important to us because that's the bedrock that we then put our missions into - this world that's very much alive.

Then the missions that we have, have a very strong beginning, middle and end, where we have big events happen. We want to make you feel like the star, and we want to make sure that if there's a huge event in the city you're there for it so the narrative is kind of swirling around you. Our missions are more scripted in nature than Grand Theft Auto.

Why is every ps3 exclusive trolled endlessly?. I come to read about the games and all i see is a constant stream of semantics with every ps3 exclusive. I compared xbox exclusive threads with ps3 ones and i'm right.

Yes, it is similar to Crackdown's super hero, open world gameplay. Sucker Punch will need to find its own voice. There are tons of FPSes in the market, but there is only one KillZone 2.

Uh, Killzone 2 ain't that unique in tone (there's a fair amount of merit to the 'Gears of World War 2' Yahtzee comment). And I like the game. In contrast, 'superhero open world game' is relatively unexplored. We have Activision's yearly crapfest (hopefully Prototype will break the pattern), we had Crackdown... and nothing else. This game is more like Crackdown than it is Hulk:UD, but I don't think it's really very much of either.

Uh, Killzone 2 ain't that unique in tone (there's a fair amount of merit to the 'Gears of World War 2' Yahtzee comment).

Even MP ? KZ2 has its own unique presentation, gunplay, enemy AI, online warzone, story, etc. Because the FPS genre is very crowded, it's easy to find similarities in different parts of the game.

In contrast, 'superhero open world game' is relatively unexplored. We have Activision's yearly crapfest (hopefully Prototype will break the pattern), we had Crackdown... and nothing else. This game is more like Crackdown than it is Hulk:UD, but I don't think it's really very much of either.

I only know some of the ingredients of inFamous so far. No idea what the game will play like. All I am saying is the trailer may be underselling the game so far, given that the genre is relatively unexplored.

Why is every ps3 exclusive trolled endlessly?. I come to read about the games and all i see is a constant stream of semantics with every ps3 exclusive. I compared xbox exclusive threads with ps3 ones and i'm right.

Nobody is trolling anything in this thread.
Calm down and maybe add something other than emotionally charged outbursts.

I personally was very cold on this game until the latest "explosions in the sky" trailer.
The effects look good, (as do the animations) but the damn, even in bullet time, it's easy to see that this game can drop frames heavily.

More inFamous footage showing day time battle:

[gt]46974[/gt]

The prison yard one is still my favorite because of the platforming near the end.

I have just finished watching Heroes Season 1. Now someone like Cylar would be interesting to fight in inFamous, because he's scary as hell.

I wonder if we get to fight anything bigger than those golems.
angry.gif

Bah... size doesn't matter -- unless they allow Cole to climb onto the golem. I'd vote for power and scare factor; anything to spice up regular street fightings.

The Karma system adds some depth to the gameplay. The game seems to be tightly knitted with the story (e.g., It presents different justifications for Cole's actions). It's a welcomed change from the explosions and fight scenes they have shown so far. I was worried they may look repetitive to casual observers if Sucker Punch keeps bombarding us with the same moves.

The article only talked about different looks, crowd reaction and weapon upgrade paths for both good and evil protagonist. I guess we will learn about the greater goal(s) of inFamous later, and how Karma affects the outcomes (if at all). Otherwise, all these choosing sides will become rather tactical. Can't really explain the name of the game too.

inFamous developer interview

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/25/gdc09-an-infamous-interview-with-sucker-punchs-brian-fleming/
Explains a few things.

The Japanese aren't the only ones who need to learn shaders:

What were the challenges of developing on PlayStation 3 for the first time?

Well, I think actually the biggest challenge was just our "experience." We had never done a pixel-shader-based game, and so we had to learn a lot. We'd done Sly Cooper, which we're insanely proud of, but it's really different than this -- it was not a realistic universe. This is a grounded, human based, physically real universe. Sly was not normal-mapped, high-detailed things; Sly was a stylized, artistic impression -- and this was very different, so we had a lot to learn.

The other X factor, that goes almost without saying, is that this is an open environment game. Sly was a level-based game, which, from a construction standpoint, is very simple. Whereas, this is immensely complicated; all these interweaving systems: bringing the environment in, streaming, basically a no-load universe. It's a profound difference in the way you have to structure your technology.

So, how long has inFamous been in development?

You know, we've been in development a little over three years. It's a long project for us. It's, you know, we're not the biggest team and when we wanted to do this we kind of knew where the budget was going to fall, and we actually asked Sony if it was okay to do a smaller team, three-year plus thing rather than a "let's try and cram it out in two years and get big."

I think, for us, it was the right choice. We are a really iteration-based studio where, you know, this mission that you're playing isn't the oldest mission in the game, but it's probably worked on more than any other mission. But even then, like the karma, and the powers, and the climbing systems, those are things that, at least for us, really took a lot of integrational polish to start to really interrelate and gel together. We really felt like for a new IP, that was the right strategy for us.

On similarity to Crackdown:

Did you guys use any games for inspiration? When we were playing this we were reminded of things from Crackdown.

Yeah, Crackdown, we were already in development when Crackdown was introduced. We were certainly aware of them but they don't predate our work on this project. We saw them, then I think the next one that came out we'd already made a big commitment to climbing. Now our climbing system sucked at the time, but we knew we were going to do this fully open , fully explorable universe and Assassin's Creed was announced.

And you know we have a very different approach than them, and I think if you play this that this accomplishes a lot of similar things. In that you can climb many many places. I think it feels really different. It feels really different than Crackdown and so it's kind of interesting that you know when you think if I want to kinda climb all over a city there are now three really distinct takes on that. With Crackdown and Creed and us. And they all have their strengths and weaknesses. And you know we run our own path though.

Karma and story:

How much does the karma system affect the game, or the outcome?

You know the first question you inevitably get asked, and I understand why we get asked, is how different are the endings. And you know we came at the karma stuff almost backwards from that. We did not think how do we make different endings because you know it's a "choose your own comic book," that's our game. Where one end is you know plastic happy valley and one end is post apocalyptic nightmare. It's not what we came at this as. We came at this as what would happen to you if you had super powers? And I think one of the most profound things is, does it corrupt you. To me that is one of the essential DNA parts of being a superhero.

So we were coming at it from that side, which is what are the things that would be fun but you have to restrain yourself from like frying peds. What are the things that are hard about being good, like well I don't really want to kill all these people, how do I not do it. So what we did is we decided that some of the more interesting directions here are things like your powers themselves and say lets make them reflect your choices.

So if you're being an ass, you're going around just ripping on peds then we're going to give you splash damage on your weapons, you'll get bigger and badder effects.However, what if you're being good?We're going to give you precision modes, and we're gonna give you the abilities like the power that doesn't kill everyone it... restrains everyone, you can go through and pick out the ones you want. We'll levitate them so you can pick them out, you know what I'm saying?

Right. Why did you guys wait so long to show off the Karma system?

Because it was hard to get right. I mean, it was probably the last big thing that we had to get right. So we got climbing right, which took us forever, but we got that right sooner than karma.

Does it compare to other morality systems, in other games?

You know, there's only a couple that have really done it deep. Fable 2's the one that everyone tells me I should go play, and -- partly because you don't want to pollute yourself working on this, because you want to explore the space yourself.

Sure.

You get so -- and partly because we've been really busy, I haven't played the game, so I don't know. When you play it, you'll have to tell me.

Do you think it adds to replayability, somebody could be like, "I'm going to go back there and do this."

You know, I hope so, I think it's really -- what we've done is neat, I think we had an interesting take on it. It took us a long time to get it kinda sorted. You know, there's a lot of moving parts in the game, a big, systemic, open environment game where you have enemy groups and difficulty and for so many different pieces to mesh together [the something] was for us, the hardest to get right.

Who wrote the story, was it internal or external?

Yeah it was written by us, you know, we're big believers that the story is incredibly important, and I think the Sly series reflects it, but it's not more important than fun. And so writing the story for us is a total pisser for people, because they'll have a story that they love, and we'll find something that's fun, that doesn't fit that story, and we'll be like, "Re-write it around this". So, we're huge believers in story and presentation, but fun is more important than both. And so, uh, we wrote a lot of the story internally, and you know, our lead designer, the game director, Nate, has written all the Sly stories, he wrote most of it in the beginning, and as we got more and more busy we weren't able to do it with just me reviewing Nate's stuff.

So we brought in a guy, Bill Harms, who's actually a published comic author, who we knew from -- he worked at another Seattle game development firm, we uh, brought him in and he worked full time on it for like the last 9 months. And you know, it's more than just story, it's all the prompt dialogue, it's all the ancillary things, and writing for marketing, so you know, he's been a huge savior of the writing.

The game is showing more polish in the Karma Videos. My interest is increasing slowly in this game, especially after I played a few missions of Crackdown at a demo kiosk at a local Mall.
The only thing worrying is that the framerate doesn't semm to hold-up and that the city feels a little cramped :unsure:

:oops:

Wow, this game is looking great. That rail grind on the electrical wire to the glide move was bad ass. This will probably be my next $60 game purchase.

There's a new Preview at IGN. He says, between Infamous and Prototype, Infamous seems to have the brain and brawn to win the comic-book duel !

Also, the game has gone Gold ! So, looks like whatever we see now will be the final build ! I hope the framerate holds up well !

Well, if it is coming with a demo of Uncharted 2 , then I am really leaning towards this title ;) !
Damn ! Where do I get the money now !v :p

Back