[PS3] Infamous

Saw a preview on G4 Tech TV.

Didn't really stand out that much graphically. Maybe because it was a night scene to show off the electric shocks or something?

Looks like singleplayer only, so they're in a sense replicating GTA except GTA added online this year.

Interesting that Naughty Dog went from Jak to Uncharted and now Sucker Punch is going from Sly to Infamous. In the former case, they cited better hardware and the chance to use more realistic characters. In the latter, maybe Sly just wasn't a big enough seller and it was time to try something else?

Three installments should be enough reason for a developer to take a nice break from the IP and try to create something new.
batman.gif

Yeah, i kinda dont get why people dont put more effort into movie-based games. The marketing and branding is allready there, if somebody would make a really really good spiderman game for example it would sell amazing amounts.

I have always thought of this myself but when you come down to it what if you were the developer

What happens when the game indeed becomes this super duper AAA and high sales game based on a property that your company does not own, then you realize its not worth it and its worth it to just make your own world.

I saw another inFamous video in GAF (same level as the one shown in LiveWire). I was wondering if the developers can add the following. I would be very keen to be part of this world:

* Allow me to lay combination of electric traps (read: elaborate traps) on my opponents. At least allow me to chain my electric attacks instead of individual hits. Allow me to build my own territory to defend against multiple enemies.

* Add more variety and "larger" sound to my power, but not too loud.

I think the enemies will make (or break) this game. Please have mind blowing enemies. :yes:
The grunts in the trailers are not too interesting, but perhaps they help to train the player briefly.

I am most curious about Yakuza 3 in TGS, but some of you may like open world games better. inFamous has added more stuff:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/917/917937p1.html

The new mission was referred to as "Blood Trail" and began with Cole in a park area of the now ruined Empire City. Cole quickly climbed up a lamppost and looked out at the neon signs and weary pedestrians inhabiting the hazy streets. The representative took a few moments to terrorize the pedestrians with a few quick electrical blasts, but used a charge of healing energy to revive them. How very nice.

Cole soon began battling the quick-moving Reapers that used a variety of weapons, including machine guns. After taking out a few enemies, Cole found a woman's body lying on the street. Using one of his powers, coined "Post Cognition" for now, he could peer into the residual electrical impulses of the woman's brain and see her thoughts. After discovering that her husband was taken away by Reapers, Cole could project a ghostly image onto the screen and followed it towards the abducted man.

On the way, more Reapers were fought and decimated. Cole's abilities were surprisingly cool, as he can chain lightning across a series of objects and cause immense damage to the environment. I also learned that Cole can, when in a pinch, absorb electricity out of a civilian in quite the vampiric fashion. This obviously doesn't bode well for the civilian, though.

The representative playing the game also fought against several suicide Reapers, which would attempt to detonate themselves near Cole in a flurry of fire and smoke. The explosions were quite spectacular, even with the game running in such an early state. The ending battle took place inside a giant transformer area, where Cole coated the entire structure in electricity and completely decimated his surroundings -- Reapers included.

Although I've never been terribly excited about Infamous, seeing the game in person definitely has me excited now. I'm curious as to how the title will look once Sucker Punch begins polishing the overall experience.

New interview over at 1UP. Nothing new is really covered. I suspect those looking forward to the game will want to read it anyway. It talks about some of the design inspirations and goals for the project.

I look forward to anything Sucker Punch tries there hand at. Can't wait to see how this turns out, although I'm quite glad this is not yet another Holiday 08 release.

Very nice looking game ! Hopefully they add more in-depth story and play modes to the open world. "Electric power" seems malleable enough for alternate gameplay. There is no mention of online gameplay in the interview. Did I miss anything ?

Looks like it could be fun. I think maybe the gfx could see a little improvement. At times i think the framerate suffers a bit, but hopefully theres still plenty of time for a spit and polish session. One to watch.

Edit. Effects and destructability look great on second viewing.

Last edited by a moderator:
This game is shipping up great. It looks like a Crackdown type game but in a GTA4 realistic city. I love the tree jumping, it looks like you can climb up just about anything. This will be a great followup to KZ2 in the spring.

I wasn't interested in this game at first. However, after playing Assassin's Creed and discovering how much I like an easy jumping and climbing tall buildings mechanic, I'm looking forward to it now. I'm hoping it'd have that mechanic I just mentioned and at the same time do better with things that ultimately made me give up on Assassin's Creed (in memory block 6 out of total 7, when it becomes one fight after another just to see the next part of a story I'm not in love with).

Specifically, I'm not too keen on most of the activities I do in Assassin's Creed. The thing I enjoy most is reaching for a high viewpoint to mark the map. My least favourite part is fighting a group of enemies and this is what I hope inFamous will satisfy me much more. Right now, I'm quite optimistic about this. :smile:

I am impressed by the freedom and openness. Not a fan of the art style. Waiting for more gameplay info. Hopefully it's not like GTA4 (Not my cup of tea).

GTA would not be a bad thing to emulate. Especially if it tries to offer some innovative online modes.

Bet they'd love to have sales anywhere near GTA4.

Back