[PS3] God of War III Pre-Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see what the big deal with the water horse was, aside from the fancy camera angles. The clip with Hades on the other hand... Damn.

I think people are impressed because you (Kratos) fight with the horse, and together both have to hang on to the climbing Titan. The combined stage introduces unpredictability and intricate movements for the users to grasp. The horse creature is water-based, so we should be seeing some water effects in parallel. The camera panned and zoomed into dramatic moments as the action raged on. Should be quite a spectacle to watch.

I hope the platforming (if any) is not difficult.

EDIT:
Tell me, what's special about Hades ?
He looks like an ordinary fat man to me. ^_^ (Ok, the skin color is anything but normal, still...)

The new trailer is outstanding. Simply wow. The stuff going on screen, the animations and the "living" terrain is crazy. Its "easy" to reproduce that detail in "static" environments and situations. But damn achieving all these in such a tremendously huge scale, with so much camera variety, so many unpredictable angles, and so much animated environment is a work of art and I never expected it to be achievable on a console. And I thought Uncharted 2 was the prettiest game and did unique stuff. God of war raised the bar higher. From what was shown it feels truly alive. Sony probably has the most talented 1st and 2nd party developers. Simply outstanding.

Oh yes i knew all the GOW2 story.
Regarding the real Greek Mythology... Makes you wonder what kind of drugs they were smoking at that time!!!
I dont know what kind of drugs they were smoking but I d love to have some of what they were having. Their art, science, literature, poetry, philosophies etc were influential and plaid an important role in the societies that we have today. Their mythology is much overdone and altered by games and movies today but still the genuine Greek mythology is amazing

The new trailer is outstanding. Simply wow. The stuff going on screen, the animations and the "living" terrain is crazy. Its "easy" to reproduce that detail in "static" environments and situations. But damn achieving all these in such a tremendously huge scale, with so much camera variety, so many unpredictable angles, and so much animated environment is a work of art and I never expected it to be achievable on a console. And I thought Uncharted 2 was the prettiest game and did unique stuff. God of war raised the bar higher. From what was shown it feels truly alive. Sony probably has the most talented 1st and 2nd party developers. Simply outstanding.

I agree. I love each details they really put into the game like the fingerprints on the titans here
http://i46.tinypic.com/zxk192.jpg
Also the streaming textures they are using seems to work perfectly. The sequence when Kratos is jumping on the Levianthan then the camera zoom out to see Gaia's Arm and her facial animation showing her pain is fantastic. Everything seems to be coming fine? There's no Pop up of trees of whatsover like in lots of games.

I agree. I love each details they really put into the game like the fingerprints on the titans here
http://i46.tinypic.com/zxk192.jpg
Also the streaming textures they are using seems to work perfectly. The sequence when Kratos is jumping on the Levianthan then the camera zoom out to see Gaia's Arm and her facial animation showing her pain is fantastic. Everything seems to be coming fine? There's no Pop up of trees of whatsover like in lots of games.

Exactly. And damn I didnt notice the fingerprints before! Amazing attention to detail.

Reminds me of the Dragon Demon in Demon's Souls. You die instantly when punched. But the monster is so big that it's possible to get caught in between its knuckles. You'd have like 1 hit point left when you're luckly. ^_^

I didn't see what the big deal with the water horse was, aside from the fancy camera angles. The clip with Hades on the other hand... Damn.

The horse is not anything overly impressive. Just nice little things like spewing water streams from its mouth or how when it moves about water splashes all around onto the environment. You probably need to see several things like when the creature first comes up out of the ground to appreciate how its flowing around the body along with the QTE at the end of encounter to finish it off and the camera work that happens at the end.

Totally agreed. The whole Titan gameplay and graphics are really separating itself from the herd, I have yet to see anything that's rendered, animated with such detail on such an epic scale since I entered HD gaming. Is this the first console game that does HDR, object motion blur, DOF, AO, realtime GI while maintaining 60fps half of the time on that scale?

It doesn't even have AO, does it? Certainly doesn't look to have anything beyond scenery baked lightmaps from what I've seen.

For 60fps, you probably can't afford neither any GI nor SSAO.
You can have some sort of ambient lighting (with spherical harmonics, cubemaps etc) for the characters, but most of the images don't really look like that either, just a few point lights with high contrast. Then again I kinda think they're not the masters of screenshots either, I'll have to check the game out in person once it's released.

Ha ha, they are both third person view, and both the characters can climb and platform around. Interesting to see people's assessments. GoW3 has more dynamic set pieces so far, but U2 is simply exquisite in some. I want to see the final game !

hehehe.

Uncharted is 720p 2x MSAA

GoW3 is 720p 0-2x Msaa (dynamic?? Or maybe 2x Msaa).

Lighting?

U2 had pretty good lighting. Tech award still goes to KZ2 thought.

GOW3 is 720p 2x msaa from what I gathered in this forum awhile ago I'll dig it up later.
Either have really good HDR lighting but GOW3 has volumetric sun shaft and a far more complex deferred lighting model with thousands of light sources.
Yep, both have nice DOF effect and Object based Motion blur.
UC2 has SSAO I'll give you that but GOW3 has baked AO everywhere, also light scattering effect which looks like realtime GI. Observe how the blades illuminate the water horse and the sun lighting up the concrete.
AO effect.
http://i50.tinypic.com/14jvrl1.jpg
Realtime GI
http://i48.tinypic.com/2nq6yc2.jpg
Finally, the scale and soft body collision are the deciding factors that would make GOW3 the tech king here.

GOW3 has volumetric sun shaft
I haven't seen this.

UC2 has SSAO I'll give you that but GOW3 has baked AO everywhere
That's the way it's been done since like forever. Definately SSAO > no realtime AO.

also light scattering effect which looks like realtime GI. Observe how the blades illuminate the water horse and the sun lighting up the concrete.
AO effect.
http://i50.tinypic.com/14jvrl1.jpg
Realtime GI
http://i48.tinypic.com/2nq6yc2.jpg
Those look like regular poing lights :???: Also, U2 does have proper GI, even if it's just static (though affects dynamic objects).

Finally, the scale and soft body collision are the deciding factors that would make GOW3 the tech king here.
Well, I don't know about the soft body physics, but when it comes to scale U2 has some very nice vistas. Also, apparently (according to the responses I got on the tech forum) a large moving level doesn't seem like a big deal. Let's also consider texture resolution and variety, both strong points in U2, not so much in GoW3. Oh, and the sub surface scattering as well :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back