God of War [PS4, PC]

https://www.gamingbible.co.uk/news/...APLv-813RWAiHAd3f9Ilcw3sJZWJ8FGAJ2kUPLdKmROuA

The 'God Of War' PC Port Is Topping Steam Charts And Breaking Records, Boi

''Given the triumphs of the PC ports of God Of War, Days Gone and Horizon Zero Dawn, there is a train of thought that suggests Sony will streamline the release of God Of War Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West onto Steam so we aren't waiting as long as we were for their predecessors.''

But at the time it was unknown if it would be a big money maker on PC, since it is I think they're gonna try and cut the time down a bit.
I re-read your post, including upside down but I don't follow it. Isn't it true that before anybody makes any game, you don't know if it will make money??

Porting a game quicker generally means throwing more resource (money) at it. Double the personal, hopefully halve the time but the overall cost is about equal. I.e, had a larger team ported the game in half the time, would it have sold more? less? about the same? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There are a lot of porting houses, there are finite amount of quality porting houses.

I re-read your post, including upside down but I don't follow it. Isn't it true that before anybody makes any game, you don't know if it will make money??

Porting a game quicker generally means throwing more resource (money) at it. Double the personal, hopefully halve the time but the overall cost is about equal. I.e, had a larger team ported the game in half the time, would it have sold more? less? about the same? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There are a lot of porting houses, there are finite amount of quality porting houses.
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Fair points all, I'm just trying to figure out if you stood on your head or rotated your monitor to read it.

I think I'm arguing hopefully more than rationally, so I yield to your superior logic and reasoning. :)

At this point in time there is no way around it anymore. Its only good for Sony, obviously.

As has been said before, this is an untrue simplification that profit = worthwhile. I'd recommend you read the GamesIndustry article on Days Gone which details all the things that mark a product as successful. But a key consideration is:

GamesIndustry.BIZ said:
In other words, given the resources that were used to create a game (the IP, the talented developers, the budget, etc.), could a better return on investment have been made by devoting those resources to something else instead?

It's always about maximising profits. What we need is comments from Sony say they are either happy or unhappy. They're silent at present but the game has not been out long. It doesn't matter is forum dwellers think game sales are good or bad, it's about the sale the profits that against the original expectations and only Sony know what they are.

They're not rushing these ports. God of War took two years.

It's possible that the PC port of GOW: Ragnarok might have started during the development of GOD: Ragnarok. I wish I could remember where I saw or read this. But evidently the team that ported GOW to PC has been working with Santa Monica Studios in an unknown capacity on God of War: Ragnarok.

It could just be specific help on the PS5 and/or PS4 version of the game. But it's possible they could also be doing work on a PC version of the game.

This isn't saying that there will be a PC port and if there is when it will come out. Just saying that if it comes out soon after the PS5 version, it's not like it would have been rushed as a PC port could have been in the works for quite a while now and we wouldn't know about it.

Regards,
SB

What we need is comments from Sony say they are either happy or unhappy.

No, we dont need comments from Sony. We can just look whats happening, and that is huge successes by Sony on the PC platform, sales and quality. Aswell as Ryan himself saying that 'more will come' and the introduction of Playstation/Sony PC branding, aswell as the aquirement of a pc porting studio. Not to forget just seeing actually Sony games being released on pc, ofcourse.

Back