God of War [PS4, PC]

It's possible that the PC port of GOW: Ragnarok might have started during the development of GOD: Ragnarok. I wish I could remember where I saw or read this.

It think it's almost certain that future porting to PC is at least a consideration for some Sony games in development for PlayStation.

No, we dont need comments from Sony. We can just look whats happening, and that is huge successes by Sony on the PC platform, sales and quality.

If you can be bothered to read the GameIndustry article, it explains why this thinking is nonsense. Whether something is successful or not, and therefore whether this particular branch of Sony's business is likely to continue, or get ramped up down, depends on what Sony's expectations are. Not yours. If Sony expected 30% more sales then this was disappointing. If they expected 75% as many sales then this was better than expected.

You're unlikely going to see any immediate signs of this because everything in train will almost certainly run to completion. The general perception was that Horizon Zero Dawn didn't do that well on PC (700k sales in the launch month), yet it didn't impact the ports of Days Gone or God of War.

If you can be bothered to read the GameIndustry article, it explains why this thinking is nonsense. Whether something is successful or not, and therefore whether this particular branch of Sony's business is likely to continue, or get ramped up down, depends on what Sony's expectations are. Not yours. If Sony expected 30% more sales then this was disappointing. If they expected 75% as many sales then this was better than expected.

You're unlikely going to see any immediate signs of this because everything in train will almost certainly run to completion. The general perception was that Horizon Zero Dawn didn't do that well on PC (700k sales in the launch month), yet it didn't impact the ports of Days Gone or God of War.

I understand where your going with this. In the same vein though, i can say that we can doubt if Sony thinks doing exclusives just on the PS5 alone is above their expectations or not.

I understand where your going with this. In the same vein though, i can say that we can doubt if Sony thinks doing exclusives just on the PS5 alone is above their expectations or not.
And they're said this. Only releasing games that run on Sony's own hardware means you are limiting your audience to people who can (and want) to buy that hardware. Sony have been vague about this and they're probably keeping their options open. They invested in streaming and eventually, once bandwidth and latency are solved problems, that'll open things up.

Sony describe releasing games on PC as "an experiment". At some point they'll comment on the success of this experiment. In the meantime, some PC gamers can enjoy games they may not otherwise have had the chance to play.

Sony describe releasing games on PC as "an experiment". At some point they'll comment on the success of this experiment.

Lol. Yeah, i guess we can enjoy this 'experiment' for many years to come, meanwhile you can 'betatest' the games before we get the polished up versions. Your dreaming man, all over the map. Theres no way around it, their expanding to the PC market, and its going very well in that department for them. As you say yourself, sticking to these plastic boxes alone isnt in Sony's future, pc and streaming/store will be there aswell, in-time before their hardware is taking the back seat.

Lol. Yeah, i guess we can enjoy this 'experiment' for many years to come, meanwhile you can 'betatest' the games before we get the polished up versions.
"You"? "We"? My gaming main gaming PC is a 32Gb i9 with a 3080; My laptop is a 32gb Risen 9 with 3060 (ASUS Zephyrus G14).

You could do well to not assume you know what people game on. I game all the platforms. The whole platform fanboy bollocks is just tedious.

My gaming main gaming PC is a 32Gb i9 with a 3080; My laptop is a 32gb Risen 9 with 3060 (ASUS Zephyrus G14).

And i do have a PS5 since its launch in Europe. Your gaming system is more capable then mine, indeed. Owning a select platform (s) doesnt require you to prefer it, obviously.

The whole platform fanboy bollocks is just tedious.

Agree fully.

Plastic boxes ?

I think the term plastic boxes has been used quite widely across the forums, and not just here.

The general perception was that Horizon Zero Dawn didn't do that well on PC (700k sales in the launch month), yet it didn't impact the ports of Days Gone or God of War.

It made 250% ROI in the first few months as per the tweet posted above.

I struggle to see how that can be considered not doing well. Do we know what ROI Sony expects from its first party games in general?

You clearly don't, given you just exhibited an "us' and "them" attitude in your previous post.

This is very much part of the problem.

I understand, though, its also the way your 'downplaying' every bit that has to do with Sony expanding to the pc platform. Yes, you might be right in that its all just a bluff or an experiment or whatever, but thats abit negative isnt it? What i mostly see around forums, not just here, is how great Sony's ports are doing on pc, both quality wise (better then what MS does even) and sales wise.
Jim ryan himself said the PC is going to see more and more Sony games, aswell as the adoption of a studio dedicated to porting games over to the PC and the creation of the Playstation PC sub-brand. Allegedly they started two years ago with the GoW port aswell.(so they have been 'experimenting' for a long time now already).

Calling all this as an 'experiment' where PC gamers just 'happen to play in', and things like 'Sony didnt say it was successfull themselfs so it isnt' is just outright in that category your accusing me for, no matter how nicely you can form your posts. I have no idea why your doing it and for what reasons, not it matters to me though, aslong as we keep things civil.

I understand, though, its also the way your 'downplaying' every bit that has to do with Sony expanding to the pc platform.
I'm trying to keep things in perspective. Dismissing the need to understand Sony's views and deciding to declare this a "huge success" based on little information is just weird. The word "experiment" was used in an interview and I've never said anything like 'PC gamers just 'happen to play in' in Sony's experiment. :???: This literally the second time today you've responded to a post and claimed I said something that I had not. These "miscommunications" seem happen a lot in discussions with you.

It doesn't help that you feel the need to conflate everything. You say Sony created something new with PlayStation PC, whereas they renamed PlayStation Mobile LLC to PlayStation PC LLC. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Jim Ryan did say more PC games were coming about a year ago. Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy has indeed arrived.

I'm probably not going to respond to any more of your posts but I feel like my time is basically just fact checking things you say and this is not enjoyable for me.

The word "experiment" was used in an interview and I've never said anything like 'PC gamers just 'happen to play in' in Sony's experiment.

I read it like that atleast:

At some point they'll comment on the success of this experiment. In the meantime, some PC gamers can enjoy games they may not otherwise have had the chance to play.

they renamed PlayStation Mobile LLC to PlayStation PC LLC

What does that matter? They have a sub-brand Playstation PC now.

m Ryan did say more PC games were coming about a year ago. Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy has indeed arrived.

And others.

I'm probably not going to respond to any more of your posts but I feel like my time is basically just fact checking things you say and this is not enjoyable for me.

I respect your preffered platform, it doesnt matter to me. Sony now being on the PC platform in a serious way, i do respect them and even like them.

Doesn't look quite right.. it's gotta be more like this

maxresdefault.jpg

But still, pretty awesome none-the-less.

It made 250% ROI in the first few months as per the tweet posted above.

I struggle to see how that can be considered not doing well. Do we know what ROI Sony expects from its first party games in general?

Come on, 250% is nothing, that is 2.5 times, which can be great or crap. I have noe idea what the investment was, but if it was 5M USD or even 10M USD to port (I have no idea what the cost is) Then that is what, 12.5 to 25M USD?
Compared to what they get as part of their 30% platform cut of COD.

Now if the PC ports only has a goal of making profit, that is fine, heck you can call it great.
If we take Sony at their word, its about expanding their IP footprint, well how can you measure that then? Percentage of the PC market? More people buying Horizon and Ragnarock on PS due to people not wanting to wait for PC port? And then some double dipping again when it releases for PC?

But we have not clue what the success metrics are, so we can not really judge. I mean of the CEO PS has a bonus pegged to something in regards to this, then that is probably the best metric to look at :p

Back