[PS3] God of War III Pre-Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
They use no SSAO, they don't mention depth of field either but maybe they do use that one.
There was DoF in the E3 demo when Kratos approaches the area where Helios is throwing fireballs at the titan. The camera pulls back low over Kratos' shoulder and focuses on the crossbow, which you need to use to shoot down Helios.

They use no SSAO, they don't mention depth of field either but maybe they do use that one.
They used either,
We have a lot of graphical features at our disposal including camera and object motion blur, depth of field, godray/lens flares, full screen color correction, distortions, dynamic lights, a robust shader system, dynamic muscle blending, skinned dynamic collision, etc
We use all of its global illumination features including final gather. We use image based lighting or skylights and we have the ability to bake ambient occlusion to maps or verts. We also use Turtle light probes (spherical harmonics) as one of our solutions for lighting the characters.”

http://www.gameswire.net/screenshots/screenshot-257-0018-44903564.html
They have really improved the textures in this game, some nice DOF and lighting too.
14tltsn.jpg

339um85.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like helios' shadow in the background of the second picture.

Interview with GoW III director:
http://www.gamepro.com/article/feat...dlc-and-why-multiplayer-wont-work-in-gow-iii/

GP: The demand for providing some sort of multiplayer in games has grown tremendously over the years. Even franchises like Resident Evil, known predominantly for their single-player content, have integrated multiplayer support to satisfy this demand. Have you guys played at all with the possibility of including a multiplayer mode in God of War 3, maybe with co-op? Or is that something that just doesn't fit?

Stig: Well, why don't I ask you a question? How did it work in Resident Evil 5? Do you think it was better, or do you think they should have stuck to a single-player game?

GP: Well, I thought it took away from the terror, because it's a survival-horror game, and you're supposed to have this overwhelming feeling that your life is on the line. When you have another player who's able to assist you every time you run out of health; that takes away from how scary the game is.

Stig: Hmm, that kind of sets me up for my response, then. I'm a huge Resident Evil fan, but I got two hours into Resident Evil 5, and I wasn't playing multiplayer, either. I stopped playing, which I've never done before. Previously, I've beaten them all. With God of War 3, there's a story we want to tell and an experience we want to deliver, and multiplayer doesn't fit into that.

Does that mean we don't have conversations about multiplayer? No. Of course we have conversations about multiplayer, and there's a lot of things we think about.

Imagine two Kratos characters running around at the same time. Once you do that, the story becomes something more about an experience between two players and less about something that we're scripting.

So, you have something like Left 4 Dead, which is sweet, but we just decided with this game, there's a certain way that we want to tell it. And staying with what we've done in the past, we want to complete the story in a way that was familiar to everybody.

Hmm...

Kind of doubt it considering they aren't exactly experienced in any kind of online mp/co-op games, unless they're hiring additional staff.
Indifferent2.gif

I think considering there are going to be moving levels, hopefully the camera system will be more dynamic.

Yeah that rationale for not doing online sounded a lot like Eggbrecht explaining why there would be no online for Lair.

Just be honest and say you have no online expertise, there isn't time, etc.

Yeah that rationale for not doing online sounded a lot like Eggbrecht explaining why there would be no online for Lair.

Just be honest and say you have no online expertise, there isn't time, etc.

He COULD say that, but he also cited a good example of how shoehorning online co-op into RE5 negatively affected the single player experience. Unlike Eggebrecht and his studio who couldn't make a decent single player experience, Stig's team has no such problem, they're merely sticking to what they're really good at.

GoW isn't RE and vice versa.

Maybe the "scripted" nature of GoW and things like QTEs don't translate to multiplayer/online.

But how that hurts the singleplayer experience? It's a copout. Plenty of other games have blended multiplayer modes without hurting the story.

Is GoW the only "cinematic" game out there? Hardly.

Maybe the "scripted" nature of GoW and things like QTEs don't translate to multiplayer/online.

But how that hurts the singleplayer experience? It's a copout. Plenty of other games have blended multiplayer modes without hurting the story.

How would a mulitplayer GOW work though? Like RE5? It would be odd for kratos to have a "buddy" don't you think?

RE5 having co-op DID hurt the single player experience, because of the nature of the game having to have an additional character to interact with which the second player can use, and the friendly AI was implemented badly, the player has to rely on the AI in SP and it hurts the single player experience.

Not sure how they could even have co-op in God of War 3, when it's basically a solitary quest with Kratos, there just aren't additional characters that they can use for playable co-op characters. Even games like Uncharted 2 and Modern Warfare 2 are having co-op as an entirely separate campaign, and in Uncharted 2, Drake often has additional characters fighting alongside him, in God of War, it's only Kratos.
Indifferent2.gif

That's the way the series has been so far.

Doesn't mean it has to always be that way.

Uncharted had no multiplayer mode. U2 does, although time will tell if it's any good and has staying power. It certainly doesn't sound like the singleplayer campaign in U2 has been hurt.

ETA: I would cut them some slack, since their first game on the PS3 and expectations are high so they're first priority is to wow people.

But if the issue isn't raised, then GoW4 will also probably be in the same vein.

Not sure how they could even have co-op in God of War 3, when it's basically a solitary quest with Kratos, there just aren't additional characters that they can use for playable co-op characters. Even games like Uncharted 2 and Modern Warfare 2 are having co-op as an entirely separate campaign, and in Uncharted 2, Drake often has additional characters fighting alongside him, in God of War, it's only Kratos.
Indifferent2.gif
Some sort of resurrecting defeated enemies as a player 2 might work.
This should make the gameplay different enough for both players and without the need for a silly co-op level designs.

That's the way the series has been so far.

Doesn't mean it has to always be that way.

Uncharted had no multiplayer mode. U2 does, although time will tell if it's any good and has staying power. It certainly doesn't sound like the singleplayer campaign in U2 has been hurt.

ETA: I would cut them some slack, since their first game on the PS3 and expectations are high so they're first priority is to wow people.

But if the issue isn't raised, then GoW4 will also probably be in the same vein.

Even in Uncharted 1 you get to fight alongside Elena and Sully, in a lot of ways Uncharted 2 is an evolution of Uncharted 1 where a lot of the gameplay ideas would work in multiplayer, such as the cover-based gunplay and platforming traversal, except they probably didn't have the time to implement mp and co-op for the first game.

Also, Naughty Dog have a separate team making the multiplayer mode for Uncharted 2.

If Santa Monica can get it right, I'm not against co-op at all, but then I simply don't think they're capable of making anything other than a single player game. They've been lagging behind in terms of this being their first game on the console and they haven't really done online MP of any kind.

Would there be a GOW4? On one hand I think they said they're wrapping up the story, on the other hand if they're doing another game what will they do? This is basically the only hit idea they've ever had.
Indifferent2.gif

True, but since Sony is paying the tabs, if they wanted it badly enough, they'd have funded it in the same manner, get a dedicated team for multiplayer.

Sony doesn't push online like MS does, because online is more of a differentiator for the Xbox brand.

Some sort of resurrecting defeated enemies as a player 2 might work.
This should make the gameplay different enough for both players and without the need for a silly co-op level designs.

It would be kind of weird having one player as Kratos and another as just some random enemy fighting alongside Kratos.

Wouldn't they have to reprogram all the enemy AIs (depending on how scripted they are of course) and the camera?

For online, I'd prefer some kind of dedicated arena battle style spinoff with playstation wand dual wielding support, that reuses art assets and rendering pipeline from the main game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back