PS3 Firmware Update 1.90

I find that network media access with 1.90 is very buggy, with the PS3 frequently locking up while playing music in shuffle mode (haven't really tried non-shuffle). Pulling down track lists is also much slower than with 1.82. This is with the latest Twonky and TVersity. (Windows Media Player hasn't worked for me since my track list exceeded ~3000, around firmware 1.8x.)

Anybody seeing similar problems?

As for a wish-list:
  • Give us an official way to access "mature" content. On the German PSN, there is a grand total of six videos related to E3, and to this day, there are no demos of Resistance, Ninja Gaiden, Armored Core, Def Jam Icon and Full Auto 2.

To be fair though, Resistance and Ninja Gaiden are the only ones available in Europe anyway, as far as I know ...

I find that network media access with 1.90 is very buggy, with the PS3 frequently locking up while playing music in shuffle mode (haven't really tried non-shuffle). Pulling down track lists is also much slower than with 1.82. This is with the latest Twonky and TVersity. (Windows Media Player hasn't worked for me since my track list exceeded ~3000, around firmware 1.8x.)

Oops ! Did they break it ? I have not tried this yet because my Windows laptop is wonky now.

I've got around 3k music files being shared by WMP11 and it's working just fine. However, just like you, I have noticed a big slow down when displaying the list of files in XMB. It's super nice that you can browse by folders now, because I hated the way it listed my videos and pictures. Much much easier to find what I'm looking for.

Anyone else getting the three beeps and reboot of the system when exiting Folding@Home with this new update? Has done that every time I've closed it now.

Running 1.9 firmware. I browsed some pics with ps3 from pc(via tversity) and set one remote picture as wallpaper. This caused frequent lockups for me. I then copied the picture to ps3's hardrive and set it as wallpaper again. Lockups gone. Haven't tested again if the lockups were really due to the wallpaper or not. But since no more lockups, I'm happy.

As for browsing speed, I'm seeing slower performance for getting file lists when entering directories. Otherwise works similarly to before(1.82).

According to this article the digital FIR filter in the PS3 CD upsampling in 1.90 has the attenuation characteristics of 320dB (50bit) due to Cell. Current high-end D/A converter products have only 120-160db.

http://www.phileweb.com/magazine/labo/

One guy was "stunned" when he saw this:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070723/ps302.jpg

He then posted this on another forum:

"CD output to 44.1/88.2/176.4kHz? Crazy update that!

It won't make your CDs sound as good as SACDs but hopefully using the Cell and SuperBitMapping, the sound would be better than your average CD player. :devilish: "

Last edited by a moderator:
Picture's too big as per forum rules. ;) Please divide by 4.

"CD output to 44.1/88.2/176.4kHz? Crazy update that!

It won't make your CDs sound as good as SACDs but hopefully using the Cell and SuperBitMapping, the sound would be better than your average CD player. :devilish: "

That would have to be a pretty craptacular CD player.

Cheers

So...PS3's CD playback is utter rubbish, inferior to a craptacular CD player, and with 4x oversampling that raises PS3 just above the craptacular CD players but it's still a rubbish CD player?

So...PS3's CD playback is utter rubbish, inferior to a craptacular CD player, and with 4x oversampling that raises PS3 just above the craptacular CD players but it's still a rubbish CD player?

That's not what I said. I responded to the notion that the oversampling would substantially (ie. audibly) improve audio output quality to levels in between regular CD and SACD, it won't.

It's barely above regular CD quality. The only way it would be audibly better is if you compare it to a craptacular (broken) CD player.

Cheers

That's not what I said.[.quote]You didn't?!

It won't make your CDs sound as good as SACDs...the sound would be better than your average CD player. :devilish:
That would have to be a pretty craptacular CD player.

I can only read that as "if PS3 oversampling sounds better than an average CD player, that average CD player must be pretty craptacular."

Surely the truth is something like "PS3 was an ordinary quality CD player, and now it's marginally better than ordinary." Which would still place it well above rubbish.

It's barely above regular CD quality. The only way it would be audibly better is if you compare it to a craptacular (broken) CD player.
Hmmm, okay. Audibly to most folk it might not be better, certainly not as the large numbers would suggest. But it'd still be better than an average CD player, even if most people can't hear the difference (and ignoring the whole rest of the audio system). Nothing to get particularly excited about. Your wording seemed to suggest that PS3 CD playback was atrocious though!

I can only read that as "if PS3 oversampling sounds better than an average CD player, that average CD player must be pretty craptacular."

I read the original statement as PS3 now has CD audio quality somewhere between CD and SACD, as in somewhere in the middle, which isn't the case at all.

Hmmm, okay. Audibly to most folk it might not be better, certainly not as the large numbers would suggest. But it'd still be better than an average CD player, even if most people can't hear the difference (and ignoring the whole rest of the audio system). Nothing to get particularly excited about. Your wording seemed to suggest that PS3 CD playback was atrocious though!

Please note that most "average" CD players sports oversampling these days. I didn't mean to imply that PS3s have lousy CD audio reproduction (knowing Sony, it's probably really good), just that it's on par with a "real" (physical) CD player.

Cheers

Please note that most "average" CD players sports oversampling these days. I didn't mean to imply that PS3s have lousy CD audio reproduction (knowing Sony, it's probably really good), just that it's on par with a "real" (physical) CD player.

Cheers

*sigh* Makes me harken back to the days where the oversampling multiplier on the CD players was all the rage and the spec du jour... "crap! 16x oversampling?!?! I just bought this state-of-the-art 8x model 2 months ago!"

Can it be discussed without knowing what kind of oversampling algorithm is involved in? Also the new bitmapping filter (type 2) can be enabled to reduce noise when oversampled.

Can it be discussed without knowing what kind of oversampling algorithm is involved in? Also the new bitmapping filter (type 2) can be enabled to reduce noise when oversampled.

It'll reduce quantization noise and reconstruction filter artifacts, but it won't improve dynamic range. Since CDs under normal circumstances have SNR way beyond audible diminishing returns it's mostly a pissing contest.

Cheers

Is oversampling the same as upsampling ?.

I thought oversampling was just internal method in the cd player that didn't had anything with the format on the output signal.

Can you really get an output higher than 16bit44.1khz on a regular cd player ?.

Haven't bought a cd player in Years :)

Back