PS3 Firmware Update 1.90

pipo

Veteran
http://kotaku.com/gaming/making-things-better/190-ps3-firmware-update-hits-japan-281191.php

• Ability to rearrange games on the XMB
• Option menu now includes "eject disk"
• Press triangle to eject games/CDs/movies in the XMB
• XMB backgrounds
• Change the folder classification
• Emoticons
• Change CD output to 44.1/88.2/176.4kHz
• Force 24Hz output for Blu-ray over HDMI
• Change PS3 video settings in-game
• "Bit Mapping" in the "Music Setting"
• Save AVCHD type animations from a Memory Stick
• Change settings like upscaling while playing PS and PS2 games
• Add bookmarks
• Web browser security function in the browser's tool section
• Avatar moves during audio visual chat

Good stuff. They're putting some serious resources behind it. :)

Edit - http://www.mcvuk.com/news/27834/New-PS3-features-hit-Europe-tomorrow

Sony’s Three Speech blog has confirmed that the latest PS3 firmware update, 1.90, is now available in Japan, and will hit Europe tomorrow (July 24th).

I like the original background. But the ability to arrange the XMB Games I was looking forward to, because I was just thinking last week that it's starting to get a little full with all the demos and psn games I installed ...

I wonder what 'Folder classification' means?

I am thrilled about how serious they are taking the audio/video side of the PS3. It seems theyve really have their top people implementing those features and listening to the community, which is great. All they need to add now is an IR code for the PS button and i'll be really, really, pleased. :)

I believe it actually means we can change the file and folder icons.

BTW, this is not actually out in JP yet. I just checked.

Maybe. I was thinking about the stuff that you have where you can order music for instance according to artist or album and so on. Maybe something like that is improved and applicable to videos also.

By the way, Europe is also getting this next Thursday:

PS One games:
- Crash 2
- Spyro 2
- Medievil
- Wipeout 2097

PS3 Demos:
- Heavenly Sword

PS3 Trailers:
- Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction
- GT5 Prologue

(These are the new E3 trailers, which can be found online… but will be offered on the store in HD PS3 format.)

So what's he talking about then?

I think programmable remotes exist that handle blutooth also. Then I assume that each command that is supported by the programming interface of the remote has a specific ID. Then I assume that for the Playstation Button, there is no such ID yet presented to its interface. Or something like that.

By the way, Europe is also getting this next Thursday:

PS One games:
- Wipeout 2097

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely played that game to death.. brilliant!

PS3 Trailers:
- Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction
- GT5 Prologue

(These are the new E3 trailers, which can be found online… but will be offered on the store in HD PS3 format.)

They've been available on the US store for some time now. When I boot up my PS3 I always quickly check if any of the three stores have something new to offer :)

I think programmable remotes exist that handle blutooth also. Then I assume that each command that is supported by the programming interface of the remote has a specific ID. Then I assume that for the Playstation Button, there is no such ID yet presented to its interface. Or something like that.

Cheers!

*BZZZZZT!*

http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-3...11?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1185207514&sr=8-1

Arwin is correct, it seems the only button that is not accessible via legacy IR codes is the PS button. All the others seem to be in some fashion and in firmware 1.8 Sony allowed these codes to be available in the XMB. Prior to that they only worked during BR playback. Based on that, it would seem that Sony is *aware*, at some level, the appetitie for IR functionality, and is cooperating.

The little doohicky linked above allowed me to learn the commands into my universal remote, which is tons more elegant and convenient than having a 2nd BT remote without backlighting.

I just want to thank Sony for listening and adding the option to force 24hz output for Blu-ray.
In the meantime there came a firmware update for my TV as well, but updating the PS3 is easier.

What does forcing 24Hz do and why would one want to do it?

Some people's TV/Receiver setups are such that the PS3 does not read the set as accepting a 24p signal when it otherwise might, since the present settings are 'off' or 'automatic.' With forced 24p, if you *know* your TV accepts a 24p signal, but the PS3 isn't properly detecting this fact or a receiver is screwing it up, now you can send a 24p signal regardless.

It effects a small segment of the population, but for those folk it does effect it's a very welcome addition, since as you can imagine those folk are of the videophile set.

Back