PS3 Firmware Update 1.90

I'm really excited about the 24hz option. Wow, that is a quick update too from 1.80. I have a Samsung 1080p 4095 LCD and this option will make it just a little more perfect because it coudn't detect 24hz compatibility before.

At least by having poor sales it had made Sony release quality firmware updates.

why would one want to do it?
Since feature movies are shot at 24 frames prer second (ancient legacy from the days of the silent movie I believe where 24 was arbitrarily deemed a decent trade-off between quality and cost), and since neither 50 or 60 frames per second of US/Euro video standards (also legacies of the past but slightly less ancient) do not divide evenly into 24 it requires various more or less ugly tricks to display feature movies on computer or video screens.

So if you can show 24 frames per second on your screen you end up with a smoother more enjoyable movie playback.

Well in theory anyway!
Peace.

I downloaded 1.90, and tried Planet Earth and MotorStorm on my friend's portable projector.

I didn't realize the output can look so different between "TVs". MotorStorm on my 720p monitor looks good, but on the (1080i) projector, the color is much more vibrant and the lighting more soothing and believable.

BTW according to the brief release note in the update, 1.90 also supports Simplified and Traditional Chinese input.

Some people's TV/Receiver setups are such that the PS3 does not read the set as accepting a 24p signal when it otherwise might, since the present settings are 'off' or 'automatic.' With forced 24p, if you *know* your TV accepts a 24p signal, but the PS3 isn't properly detecting this fact or a receiver is screwing it up, now you can send a 24p signal regardless.

It effects a small segment of the population, but for those folk it does effect it's a very welcome addition, since as you can imagine those folk are of the videophile set.

What happens if you use HDMI as your AV connection.......but your TV set only supports 50 or 60 hz???

What happens then?

P.S.

So let me get this straight:
If your TV supports 24fps, then the PS3 will use 24hz as the default output (for Blu-ray movies).....but if TV is not 24fps-compatible, then it will use auto-detect (correct)???

Thus using 50 and/or 60 frames output???

Correct?

If your TV does not support 24p, then this enhancement to 24p usability does not effect you at all. Your PS3 will continue to function as it always has.

What happens if you use HDMI as your AV connection.......but your TV set only supports 50 or 60 hz???

What happens then?

P.S.

So let me get this straight:
If your TV supports 24fps, then the PS3 will use 24hz as the default output (for Blu-ray movies).....but if TV is not 24fps-compatible, then it will use auto-detect (correct)???

Thus using 50 and/or 60 frames output???

Correct?

The 24Hz option has 3 settings. Auto, On, and Off. You can force it On, force it Off, or let the PS3 detect the appropriate settings via the HDMI handshake. The default setting is Auto. As such, if your setup properly negotiates its supported features, and supports 24Hz, then the PS3 will use 24Hz for BD playback.

The 24Hz option has 3 settings. Auto, On, and Off. You can force it On, force it Off, or let the PS3 detect the appropriate settings via the HDMI handshake. The default setting is Auto. As such, if your setup properly negotiates its supported features, and supports 24Hz, then the PS3 will use 24Hz for BD playback.

I understand now.

Thanks very much :)

HDMI full range handling works better now. In the past it had a tendency to go back to limited range, in effect screwing up your (freshly adjusted) TV settings, so it was safest to just leave it on limited and black-/white-crush the limted range deliberately with the TV's contrast and brightness controls. It reverted basically all the time, going into and back out of the store, playing a PS2 game, playing a PS1 game, maybe even more occasions. It was useless.

Was. It's working now.

My last complaint in regards to backwards-compatibility is, unfortunately, still standing. Ratchet & Clank 3 plays fine, and renders correctly, but at a framerate far below a genuine PS2.

In-game switching of upscaling options and smoothing is there. Though it needs to be pointed out that upscaling needs to be enabled outside of the game. You can't turn it on or off, just control how much overscan it eats ("normal" or "full").
I'm not using the scaling option for my PS2 games. It always gives me black bars or cuts off stuff, as there does not seem to be a sensible middle ground wrt overscan. And it always gets the aspect ratio wrong.
My TV does a much better job blowing up the signal to the full panel size when it gets the untreated SD output, even over HDMI.

Being able to eject discs via software is cool, but I'll probably never use it ;)

If you hover over an item for a while, it will pop up a reminder on how to access the "right-click" options (triangle button). I think they wanted to make the XMB more accessible this way.

My understanding in order for the PS3 to pass Blacker than Black and WtW was to put the RGB on "Limited" and Super White to "on", was that correct and still that way?

My understanding in order for the PS3 to pass Blacker than Black and WtW was to put the RGB on "Limited" and Super White to "on", was that correct and still that way?
i haven't tested 1.90 yet, but since 1.82 (or was it 1.81?) the only way to pass BTB was to set output to YPbPr and enable YPbPr super-white. RGB full no longer passed BTB (unlike firmware 1.80). its best to set blu-ray/DVD output to YPbPr if possible. games/XMB output RGB regardless, and which setting (full or limited) will depend on your set.

I think so, but I also think the whole idea of BTB and WTW is a boneheaded waste of bits that should never have come into existance. I want to use the luminance range of my TV. I.e. if something is supposed to be black, I want it to be as black as my TV can do, all the time, and not just during some contrived "special moment" a crazy suit in Hollywood might find tremendously impactful.
Ahem.

HDMI full range handling works better now. In the past it had a tendency to go back to limited range, in effect screwing up your (freshly adjusted) TV settings, so it was safest to just leave it on limited and black-/white-crush the limted range deliberately with the TV's contrast and brightness controls. It reverted basically all the time, going into and back out of the store, playing a PS2 game, playing a PS1 game, maybe even more occasions. It was useless.

Was. It's working now.

That was fixed in 1.82, I think. I'm 100% positive anyway that it was fixed in one of those, as Full RGB mode really, really shows on my TV. It is absolutely awesome. When I got the TV and discovered its extended color gamut support, I didn't think I'd have much use for it anytime soon, so when the PS3 started to support it from 1.8, that was a big surprise for me.

Yes, HDMI Full Option became "sticky" in 1.82. Firmware 1.90 adds HDMI Full option for PS1 and PS2 games. Essentially, HDMI Full option is universal now.

Here's the official software update list: http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/network/updates?DCMP=ILC-PS3_1304&LINK=PS3SU

I am really glad they added in-place text-editing for the web browser... as opposed to the clunky text entry pop-up. It was in my Top 10 list (#6 or so).

Other undocumented improvements include:

* GAF reported that SCE has removed the annoying "Do you want to display this plugin" message for every HTML page :) This was also in my #6 complain above.

* Access to XMB messaging (read and send) in web browser too

* Added Chinese Simplified and Traditional input support

* Someone also reported DLNA enhancements (Fixed sort order issue with TwonkyMedia server).

* Better BC (on-going)

I think the 1.82 (The last version) also simplified the firmware upgrade process. No need to plug in USB cable to SIXAXIS during upgrade anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
where can i get a full rundown of the xmb and the meaning of each option. fidgeting with options that i dont understand doesnt make sense. ;-)

I'm using this beautiful piece of art for my wallpaper:
http://www.nibbledpencil.com/image.php?image=WAKE3.jpg

It is hard picking a good wall paper that doesn't make your XMB very difficult to read. On GAF someone came up with a technique to overlay some semi transparent color blocks with pretty good success. For example:
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j279/shagg187/MetalGearSolid-GrayFox.jpg

Yeah, the idea with the bars came from the psp wallpapers where it looked pretty good. I was trying several wallpapers myself but most of them were difficult to read.

My strategy is to use a wallpaper that has lots of sky and sea.

Currently I have my output options set to how expletive has it. I hope it is for the best.

Yes, HDMI Full Option became "sticky" in 1.82. Firmware 1.90 adds HDMI Full option for PS1 and PS2 games. Essentially, HDMI Full option is universal now.
Okay, cool, I probably missed it in the 1.82 update. I just remembered that I had to turn it off again (I play lots of PS2 games on my PS3).
Actually I still can't use it, because it reverts back into limited range while playing certain PS2 games. Devil May Cry 3 and Ratchet & Clank 3 are definitely still affected. So I turned it off again.

====

As for a wish-list:
  • Give us an official way to access "mature" content. On the German PSN, there is a grand total of six videos related to E3, and to this day, there are no demos of Resistance, Ninja Gaiden, Armored Core, Def Jam Icon and Full Auto 2. WTF. So everyone with half a brain sets up a fake US account (and lately a UK one, too) and makes the local PSN even less relevant than it would be with only the completely unfathomable delays. Just embrace reality ffs. I'm 29. Let me verify my age and get past this bullshit.
  • keep the controller connection while going into/out of PS2/PS1 games. Having to press that button to resync every time is annoying.

Back