PS3 Firmware 3.0

keyn/Jardel, I have not encountered any KZ2 slowdown. Could be related to the increased load due to newer Slim owners and returned KZ2 players ?
I don't know , possible. Seems like no one except me experienced anything at KZ2btw.

Here is another but more interesting thing I've experienced [ not sure if it is related to fw3.0 though ] ;

I've downloaded Echochrome Demo long time ago. After upgrading to fw3.0 , I tried to launch the game demo but it said I need to install 1.02 patch. I chose ok and it updated the game. BUT after the upgrade here is the error message I'm getting whenever I want to launch;

The copyright protection information is invalid. ( 80029513) :rolleyes:

I think it downloaded the whole game but I don't know how :D.

I have switched back to classic view after a few minutes of playing around (I tried out the Zebra theme, nicely done but too distracting for my taste)...

I like the bigger fonts, altough it should be adjustable, so that everyone can make the font size the way he/she prefers.

BTW, thanks Sony for giving me new icons for the store, home etc. nice reminder that you have not implemented these features in my region. Sometimes it really amazes me how such an corporation can be that amateurish. The store blunder is my biggest gripe with Sony this generation, but at least it saved me lots of money because I only bought some small games from the Hong Kong store (I look at it from the bright side ;) ).

Cheers...

I hear that the ticker is only active for certain countries ?

xopc00.jpg

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17439661&postcount=3057

That's weird. I don't have the ticker in my UK account but I do in my US and Japanese accounts. I'm not living in the UK anymore so maybe... no. I can't work out the logic of it. Hmm. Not that I'm too fussed either way.

I just did. You should be able to play music and go into XMB or the web browser uninterrupted.

There is a bug in the Firmware Update

You need to set the Music Settings to 48 Khz in order to be able to go out on the XMB again. Besides the obvious issue of playing 44.1 Khz CD rips @ 48Khz there is a bonus that playback starts fast again. And well, i can go to XMB again..

Hope they fix it for the 3.01

Well, if your region has no store the ticker will not work but it is still there... E.g. if I change to an US account the ticker works, when I switch back to my croatian account it does not.
I have no ticker on my main UK account, but I have it on the US account, which shows it's not store related.

That's weird. I don't have the ticker in my UK account but I do in my US and Japanese accounts. I'm not living in the UK anymore so maybe... no. I can't work out the logic of it. Hmm. Not that I'm too fussed either way.

Where are you now ?

I have no ticker on my main UK account, but I have it on the US account, which shows it's not store related.

Thank you, that throws out the last bit of logic on their whole strategy ;) .

But in the UK you have the store, home etc., you are just "missing" the news ticker?

Cheers...

As far as I know the ticker is on for SCEJ and SCEA countries, and off for SCEE countries. Interestingly enough in most European countries it was an option to turn it on before 3.0, and fed with localised content too.

Where are you now ?

I'm in Colombia.

As I said though it's not high on my list. After a few days with it I only have one issue with 3.00... that is the background changing on certain segments. I love the animated backgrounds and it jars when it suddenly changes. As complaints go it's not the biggest...

New feature?

I've noticed that with FW3.0, the trophy sync process now finally works both ways. The system now pulls down trophy sets and icons from the server for games you haven't played yet on that machine (but have a record on your online account).

Previously, if you restored a backup, you'd have an empty trophy list. A trophy sync did nothing, you would still not have any entries in your local collection. What you had to do was briefly launch each game so that they could install the trophy lists and icons to the system. Only then could you get the lists filled back in by doing the trophy sync.

This is now solved. After restoring from backup, you do a single trophy sync and everything is back to where it was. On the downside, the inital trophy sync takes much longer now, most likely because it has to fetch all the icons and descriptions, which it previously wasn't designed to do.

I don't know , possible. Seems like no one except me experienced anything at KZ2btw.

Haven't played KZ2 since the 3.00 update, but will see if I can make out any difference...

Here is another but more interesting thing I've experienced [ not sure if it is related to fw3.0 though ] ;

I've downloaded Echochrome Demo long time ago. After upgrading to fw3.0 , I tried to launch the game demo but it said I need to install 1.02 patch. I chose ok and it updated the game. BUT after the upgrade here is the error message I'm getting whenever I want to launch;

That's been there before the 3.00 already and quite a bit longer too. I know because I tried playing Echochrome a while ago and got the same message...

I've noticed that with FW3.0, the trophy sync process now finally works both ways. The system now pulls down trophy sets and icons from the server for games you haven't played yet on that machine (but have a record on your online account).

Previously, if you restored a backup, you'd have an empty trophy list. A trophy sync did nothing, you would still not have any entries in your local collection. What you had to do was briefly launch each game so that they could install the trophy lists and icons to the system. Only then could you get the lists filled back in by doing the trophy sync.

This is now solved. After restoring from backup, you do a single trophy sync and everything is back to where it was. On the downside, the inital trophy sync takes much longer now, most likely because it has to fetch all the icons and descriptions, which it previously wasn't designed to do.

That worked longer than 3.0 though... I recently added my PSN login to my brothers PS3 (before 3.0) and synced my trophies and they were all there.

Any one interested in disabling the annoying scrolling ticker at the top right - set your date to the future and restart your PS3. :)

It doesn't solve all the other 3.00 problems, but getting rid of that ridiculous ticker is at least something until the FW staff gets back from their holiday. :rolleyes:

Interesting bit from the BBC itself about the iPlayer on PS3:

A few months ago Sony released an updated version of Flash that provided support for H.264 content. However, that version of Flash was still unable to play back our higher quality streams at the full frame rate of 25fps.

Since then, Sony have done a great job of enhancing the PS3's Flash playback experience, and the latest V3.0 firmware update now includes hardware acceleration in full-screen mode, allowing for a substantial improvement in the playback experience.

Over the past year, we've also done a lot of tuning and enhancements to our iPlayer video encoding, including adding a new 1500Kbps "SD quality" format. Put the two together and the result is an iPlayer on PS3 with brilliant video quality - almost as good as broadcast television!

Over the coming weeks we'll be adding some extra functionality and fixing a few glitches in the UI.

User response to our new iPlayer for PS3 has been amazing. Although it's less than a week since we launched, iPlayer on PS3 now accounts for a massive ~10% of all iPlayer viewing, overtaking Mac (8.5%) to be our 2nd most popular platform for IP-delivered content. We'll have to wait and see whether this holds up in the coming weeks, but this enthusiastic reception makes it clear that users do want iPlayer on their TV - something that bodes well for Canvas and other IPTV propositions.

Full article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2009/09/new_version_of_bbc_iplayer_for.html

I thought it was a little weird that on the "What's new" feature, with the scrolling panels, that you can't select anything to get more details. I'd never looked at it closely before. The presentation is nice, even though it seems tacked on, but I thought you'd be able to select one of the panes and have it take you to the store, or to another screen with more info. They need to link to the store. I think devs/publishers would like that.

I must say I was most unimpressed by iplayer on the PS3.

The SD content is unwatchable full screen in my opinion. Maybe with the increased bitrate it will improve some, however no BBC HD content is the biggest downside, without that they may as well not bother as it looks too bad on a 1080p tv

I thought it was a little weird that on the "What's new" feature, with the scrolling panels, that you can't select anything to get more details. I'd never looked at it closely before. The presentation is nice, even though it seems tacked on, but I thought you'd be able to select one of the panes and have it take you to the store, or to another screen with more info. They need to link to the store. I think devs/publishers would like that.

You can. Press X to go into navigation mode. Each of those icons launches a web page or a PS Store page.

Back