[PS3] Demon Souls

That's actually a huge turnoff for me. Kind of disappointing because the game looks great. Unfortunately it'll turn into a huge griefing fest for new players, from the way it sounds.

Also no. But it's hard to explain why. For myself for instance the vast majority of my playtime thus far has been in 'dead' form, which renders you immune from any sort of external invasion. Of which the worst that happens is you 'die' anyway.

If it were an issue you'd hear more talk about it; for myself it hasn't happened even once.

Beyond that though, you should know that there's really no way to coordinate ending up playing with a friend unless you do some very tight coordinating; it's not traditional co-op or anything like that.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the game.

More general question for the players out there: I increase my magic strength, but it's hard to see the effect on my spells - is the damage increasing? :)

I guess I thought it worked like Fable 2, because it seems to be a greatly advanced version of what Fable 2 was doing. Not being able to play with your friends in a game with co-op is kind of strange. I think I need to find a better writeup on how the multi player component works.

The best way to think of it, is that there essentially is no multi-player component; but there *is* a network component. Other players around the world and such are able to subtly influence your game - very rarely directly - and probably most importantly at the beginning, they're able to leave you hints on how to progress, and likewise you them.

I mean it's hard to explain like I said, but best not to look at it as multi-player at all.

The best way to think of it, is that there essentially is no multi-player component; but there *is* a network component. Other players around the world and such are able to subtly influence your game - very rarely directly - and probably most importantly at the beginning, they're able to leave you hints on how to progress, and likewise you them.

I mean it's hard to explain like I said, but best not to look at it as multi-player at all.

I thought they could come into your world and kill you to steal your demon souls or something?

Edit: Ok, I reread the eurogamer review and I think I understand how it works more.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a Japanese version of co-op and the different take on online is one of the things that make the game so fascinating.

The answer is "in-between". To avoid Black Phantom invasion:

(1) Stay as a soul. Most of the time I am dead anyway thanks to hospitable enemies. :D So... no need to worry about invasion. Only players with a live body can be invaded. However you cannot host a co-op game as a soul. You have to join someone with a body.

(2) You can buy a Miracle to minimize your chance of encountering Black Phantoms. It costs 5000 souls.

EDIT:
Awesome game - that's my one line contribution to this thread for the moment! ;)

Yeah I saw you playing. Left you alone because I didn't want to break the immersion with a XMB message notification. ^_^

Demon's Souls and U2, plus my day job, have finally brought me down. I've fallen sick after a marathon of U2 and Demon's Souls. >_<
It's been fun though. I managed to kill one more (easy) boss last night. Now looting the Shrine of Storm to level up.

Regarding its online gameplay, I can't praise Demon's Souls enough. From Software totally broke free from the traditional MP molds and introduced something so natural and yet sinister to its game. I got a few more scares last night thanks to "ghosts" in parallel game sessions.

Yap ! http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1345224&postcount=81

Occasionally you may encounter a Good Black Phantom. They know that some players may have problems with the game so they go an extra mile to help. Enemies don't react to Black Phantom, so as a Black Phantom you basically can just kill all the enemies without worries that you will get killed.
All souls dropped by enemies will be given to the host. Also, near the end, the Good Black Phantom will let the host kill them to get a Whiter World Tendency.

Seiken said:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: HOLY CRAP I CANT BELIEVE WHAT JUST HAPPENED!

I was on the Old Monk boss and apparently the boss is another player. Well I had my unlucky share and met someone who looked RIDICULOUS, probably beat the game 20 times or something... this is, I knew I'd die so I just ran around in circles. He just stood there though, he did a /sigh or something then /point /comeon or whatever, he pretty much told me that I could kill him AND SO I DID :lol Thanks whoever!

Fresh supplies on the way:

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97902

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA - OCTOBER 19, 2009 -- Atlus U.S.A., Inc. today announced that additional stock of Demon's Souls™, the newly released award-winning action RPG for PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, will be making its way to stores across North America this week in response to overwhelming demand.

Not sure if that applies to Canada or not but at least you yanks will be able to find a copy.

=)

Cheers

Wahahaha.... they discontinued the deluxe edition. Makes me feel smart about buying it early. *snort* *snort*

I may be stupid and buy both this and Borderlands. Not that I'll have time for all these games, but I think I can make it work with trade-ins.

Wahahaha.... they discontinued the deluxe edition. Makes me feel smart about buying it early. *snort* *snort*
The deluxe edition is more limited run than discontinued. And yea since this is an Atlus game its value should be good for a long time if you're going to resell. I hope Afrika becomes valuable I don't mind reselling things if they get me good money. I should've sold Street Fighter IV CE for PS3 when it was going for over $100 I knew the hype for the CE wasn't going to last.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have yet to get my copy :cry: .

If it does not arrive in the next two days I, sadly, must assume it got "lost". Hope that VG+ will send me a new copy (if it is not sold out+if the package is insured that way).

Anyway, I see that more and more people are playing it due to word to mouth, which shows that even in these overhype days a quality product can make it without gigantic marketing.

Cheers...

Currently working on finishing the title and it has been by far the best action rpg I have played this generation. This title has been the most rewarding experience I have played for years and well worth all the positiive word of mouth it receives. Im sure GOTY will go to some high profile title like Ass Cr 2, MW 2, ODST, Unch 2 etc but IMO this title deserves it as of now.

I have yet to get my copy :cry: .

If it does not arrive in the next two days I, sadly, must assume it got "lost". Hope that VG+ will send me a new copy (if it is not sold out+if the package is insured that way).

That's a major bummer. :mad: It is very likely they can't do anything about it. I read that Atlus promised a retailer new deluxe editions that turn out to be just regular edition + art book and sound track. Still hope to see you in Demon's Souls. I am progressing very slowly, but happily.

I took a look today and didn't see any in the stores. Probably a good thing for my wallet. Was this game really limited upon release in North America?

Put my order in at amazon. On principle I waited for my trade in credit for Batman, it took them 8 days from shipping. Don't use their service if you are in a hurry.

Back