[PS3] Demon Souls

I can't believe someone did this. Who is this guy ?

From the voice, I would say it is Aram Jabbari (Atlus PR)...

BTW, I first did not recognize his voice and I thought "Jeez, this one is taking it way too far with the caressing et al!". After I thought this is a PR person "Jeez, this one is not taking it far enough, I mean, you´re PR, think of something better :D".

Seriously, looks nice, I can´t remember the last time I was so pumped up for a game, I think it was AvP for the PC. If I will have the same fun, it will be more than worth the wait (and the difficulty, I played through AvP directors cut before the savegame patch, so if it´s so good it will be beaten).

BTW, does anybody of the import pros think they will "fix" some farming points (making it harder to farm) and things like that?

Anyway, thanks for the video and the comments...

The CE seems nice. They actually included something worthwhile for a change (I really don't know what I'm supposed to do with my Fallout 3 Wobblehead or my hidous Street Fighter IV figurines). I also think that the original cover art is a lot better. Sucks that you still have to parttake in some company's pre order bs plan if you want the soundtrack, though.

Ok, I heard him announced his name and title at the beginning of the video this time.
Must be a fun guy to drink with. ^_^

Yemeth said:
BTW, I first did not recognize his voice and I thought "Jeez, this one is taking it way too far with the caressing et al!". After I thought this is a PR person "Jeez, this one is not taking it far enough, I mean, you´re PR, think of something better ". :D

:LOL: It's different and unexpected alright. I hope people don't smell their games like he did. Who knows what else happened behind the scene. I think used game sales will take a hit after this video. :p

Atlus letter said:
“Our experiment has been a rousing success,” said Aram Jabbari, Manager of PR and Sales, beaming. “Allowing information about our upcoming titles to be silently posted on ESRB’s website has been a triumph, and we’ve decided to abandon all direct, overt disclosures of our future games in favor of quietly allowing the posting of new titles onto ESRB.org. Every other publisher puts their press releases out there in the same distribution channel, and sometimes the news gets overlooked. By sneaking all future game announcements onto the ESRB website for just a handful of passionate editors to find, we distance ourselves from industry conventions.”

Heh, so the "new game smell" video is yet another Jabbari(TM) experiment.

Sigfried1977 said:
The CE seems nice. They actually included something worthwhile for a change (I really don't know what I'm supposed to do with my Fallout 3 Wobblehead or my hidous Street Fighter IV figurines). I also think that the original cover art is a lot better. Sucks that you still have to parttake in some company's pre order bs plan if you want the soundtrack, though.

I ordered the Deluxe edition for the guide. Is the sound track any good ?

Ok, I heard him announced his name and title at the beginning of the video this time.
Must be a fun guy to drink with. ^_^

I am really getting old, I have not heard the name, was multitasking and glancing at the video at the same time. I'm glad they used the original cover for the slipcase as, for me, it perfectly captures everything I have heard from the game so far! The new cover does not appeal to me at all...

I have only heard the soundtrack in the clips and the trailer, but the chorus track alone (from the trailer) is worth for ripping the CD to the PC and copying it to my mobile phone :) .

Cheers...

There's hardly any music in the game actually. There's music in the Nexus and during boss fights and that's it. No tune struck me as particularly memorable, though. It's fitting and enhances the mood, but it's nothing I'd listen to outside of the context of the game (but I'm quite picky when it comes to my game music)

I'm very conflicted about this one. All the impressions and reviews are hugely positive, and online is really intriguing to say the least, but the inherit trial and error aspect is a big concern for me.

In fact, I fail to see how making a hard game that requires one to "levelup" real-life skills instead of a couple of numbers on screen is any innovation.

Anyway, can you join a friend's game as opposed to random strangers'?

I'm very conflicted about this one. All the impressions and reviews are hugely positive, and online is really intriguing to say the least, but the inherit trial and error aspect is a big concern for me.
I don't know what you mean by trial and error. The hub structure, where you (have to) choose which area to tackle next? It's a normal risk/reward thing. You venture into an area "too far", encounter an enemy you can't handle and die. Okay, that happens. But:
a)you keep any loot you found (among them most likely a few consumable souls, which can be converted into "XP" on the spot)
b)if you can make it back to the place of your death (or actually a few steps less, so you can realistically avoid whatever killed you before), you can recover your bloodstain, and in effect all the "XP" you "lost" before

You don't think you can go far enough into the level again to recover your bloodstain? Fine, save it for later. You only lost "XP" on hand. Your levels and stats and loot are still intact.

betan said:
In fact, I fail to see how making a hard game that requires one to "levelup" real-life skills instead of a couple of numbers on screen is any innovation.
It's an action RPG. You have to learn the combat system to be effective, but stats and equipment still affect your damage output, how well you absorb, block and evade damage, and how long you can make your combos. Both sides matter, like they would in any action RPG.
betan said:
Anyway, can you join a friend's game as opposed to random strangers'?
I've heard something about placing your co-op "marker" in a really out-of-place spot and make arrangements that way. But no, there's no straightforward way to invite a specific person into your game.

I don't think anyone is really labeling it as innovation. On the contrary, it's a deliberately old-school game design approach that makes you work for your rewards instead of just handing them out without any resistance worth mentioning. Nothing new, but kinda refreshing regardless.

*nod* *nod*

I meant to say:
* The Black and Blue Phantom interaction
* The player-controlled level 3 boss
* The messages, message ratings, blood stains and death scenes left by other players
... change game play

After reading the reviews, I think they are trying to tell me despite these online interactions, the game will still make me feel lonely and helpless at the beginning. ^_^

Here's something to acknowledge and nudge him back to more mainstream marketing:
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/gaming/2009/09/30/Multiplayer-Chat

Hello, patsu, thanks for posting it. The interview was horrible, IMO. I understand that most of these podcasts are done by amateurs, but when you have an interview at least learn how to pronounce the third word (or even get the right word?) you utter about the game "Kingdom of Bolaria" ;) .

Love the humor of Mr. Jabbari, first PR person where I thought "hey, maybe he really thinks what he is saying", and that means something.

Anyway, what really bugs me is that after the release it takes about two weeks to get the game to me from Canada :cry: . Hopefully it will not get stuck in the customs or even get lost, so it could get worse (see, already preparing my mindset for Demon's Souls). :D

Cheers...

I was thinking about the "trial and error" criticism a bit more and still don't quite understand where it comes from, but I may have found a better explanation of the structure.

It's a checkpoint system. If you die all (or most) of the enemies reset and you start at the last checkpoint. There's relatively big spacing between checkpoints (only after boss fights, 3 to 5 per world), true. Usually you'd criticize that, but it's not that simple really.

Major differences to a traditional checkpoint system:
1)Within each level there are shortcuts. You first go the long way around the door, pull a lever, the door opens. Now it stays open forever. Shortcuts don't reset on death.
2)Not all enemies reset on death. Some of the toughest black phantoms are one-offs. You beat them once, they won't block your path again.
3)Inventory doesn't reset. Loot you picked up is gone from the world but stays in your inventory. Thus if you explored a side area once and grabbed everything there is to find, you won't have to do it again.
4)Already said, but you recover what you've lost if you can reach your previous point of failure. You can go back to the Nexus and restock/offload loot first if you need to.

You don't have to "redo everything" to anywhere near the same degree as a traditional checkpoint system.

1 and 4 IMO mitigate the big checkpoint spacing as a criticism. As you unravel the level's shortcuts, find keys, activate elevators, lower bridges etc, your trips get faster. Recovering your bloodstain takes the punishment out of previous deaths and instead rewards you for careful play.

Thanks for the info Rolf. I was using the term "trial and error" loosely as in "you try and fail a lot until you find the right way of doing things".

Hello, patsu, thanks for posting it. The interview was horrible, IMO. I understand that most of these podcasts are done by amateurs, but when you have an interview at least learn how to pronounce the third word (or even get the right word?) you utter about the game "Kingdom of Bolaria" ;) .

Love the humor of Mr. Jabbari, first PR person where I thought "hey, maybe he really thinks what he is saying", and that means something.

Anyway, what really bugs me is that after the release it takes about two weeks to get the game to me from Canada :cry: . Hopefully it will not get stuck in the customs or even get lost, so it could get worse (see, already preparing my mindset for Demon's Souls). :D

Cheers...

Listened to the podcast over Sunday breakfast. ^_^

The podcast host is ok (He did say "Bolaria" instead of "Boletaria"). He played the game enough to know what to ask. That's very important for me as a listener.

Am very glad to hear that the control scheme is good. Would be a nightmare to manage stamina and fight controls at the same time.

Aram also went through the changes Atlus made to port the game over: Gameplay untouched, just bug fixes and localization. Yes. we want the same exact experience the others have gone through (Hoo-ah !)

He also said the Armor Core team worked on Demon's Souls. I am not sure if he was referring to the entire company, From Software, or the developer team themselves. I played the first Armor Core on PS2, they have certainly matured over the years.

A large part of the podcast talks about the difficulty. He made an effort to help people understand the game mechanics. I think he should also talk about the experience: The feeling of dread and solitude in this game. It's what attracted me in the first place (The reward will be immensely gratifying). Some of the reviews conveyed this point rather well.

Also, may be I missed it, Aram forgot to mention a URL for listeners to go to.

I have the game. Took a whiff of it as I walked out of Gamestop. ^_^

I will take a quick swipe at something (anything !) in Boletaria tomorrow. Have to wait until Thursday evening to play for real.

First impression took me way back to my first dungeon crawl (Lord British, amber monitor and monotonic audio :)). This is like the RPG I made up in my mind as I played those blocky first gen games. It's uncanny to see someone unveiled it slowly in front of my eyes. ^_^

I played with headphone so I don't hear any outside noise at all. It feels authentic, and has just the right atmosphere. I :love: the desolate environment, the British accents, and the no-frills quests.

Combat control is smooth and easy. R3 targeting needs some pre-planning and practices. Need to play a few more rounds to see if I can switch target easily. Every small enemy is worthy and fun because the combat feels natural and impactful.

Yeah... I died. The regular combats are not difficult (so far), but some of the bosses may be tough or impossible. e.g., The tutorial boss killed me in one hit. It's not even a direct blow. I couldn't land any hit close to him at all. Am keen to tackle him again with more advanced weapons and character attributes.

Hopefully the rest of the game doesn't disappoint. I'm still somewhere in 1-1.

EDIT: [size=-2]I am extremely glad someone could do an intense game without infinite respawn or awkward controls.[/size]

Yemeth, thanks for all those messages. I think you will like the game.

Back